Sign in with
Your question

HDTV Picture, surround sound Audio help request

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 15, 2011 8:19:09 PM

So I've ran into a bit of a conundrum and I'm hoping someone here can help me out. My girlfriend recently bought a new Westinghouse 40" LED, 1080p, 120hz television to replace her old one. She runs netflicks off of her playstation 3 and she wants to get both HD picture as well as surround sound through her Onkyo A/V HT-R520. Problem is I don't see any HDMI inputs on the back of the thing so I'm a little confused how I'm going to get it to work.

So the question is; am I going to be able to get this to work or is she looking at a new A/V box?

I've looked at it and maybe she can run the HDMI from the PS3 to the TV and then maybe audio out of the TV to the A/V box, not sure if it'll work though. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!!

-Arclight
December 15, 2011 10:11:54 PM

If the new HDTV does have an Optical Audio Output (the one I'm looking at does) then you should be able to go PS3 to HDTV via HDMI and then HDTV to Onkyo Receiver via Optical cable.

-Wolf sends
m
l
December 16, 2011 11:15:41 AM

According to the specs on that HDTV, it does have coaxial S/PDIF (digital) audio out and if I remember the specs from your receiver correctly, it has a coaxial audio input (right next to the three optical inputs). That would be your best bet.

-Wolf sends
m
l
Related resources
!