My system freezes when I start it and when I try to reinstal windows 7

pacmenace

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
I built my computer a year a ago and I haven't had any signifigant problems untill last week. My computer randomly shut itself off and ever since then I can not get past the start up screen. The orbs begin to fly around but then the system either locks up or restarts. I can not access safe mode or even revert it back to the last stable mode. I tried re installing Windows but after downloading the files from the disk the computer freezes and restarts. I have purchased a new set of ram but that does not seem to have solved the problem. Any suggestions?
System Specs
Graphics:GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
Motherboard:MSI 770-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
CPU:AMD Athlon II x3 445 3.1Ghz
RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PSU:Antec NeoPower 550W

Bad sectors on your Hard Drive? If you have a BIOS that supports a HDD Test try that, or if you have access to another PC and can burn a disk, download and burn Seatools for DOS
http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/
or if you have an alternative HDD try that...

burn a hirem boot cd on it is mini xp boot. see if your pc will boot the mini xp without any issues. if it still reboots booting from a cd i would see if a friend has a spare power supply. with older parts like yours check that the fans on the parts are moving.
it could be that the fan on the video card died and you over heated it.

pacmenace

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
I was attmepting to mess around in the BIOS today to try to fix a few of the problems, but all of a sudden the screen went blank and said No VGA output. The computer was still on as I had the motherboard lights on as well as fans running? Could it be the GPU? CPU?

The Fans in my case are still running fine but I'm starting to think that it isn't the hard drive.

Looks like your GPU. That would explain the freezing when booting/installing Windows. When either gets to the stage where the GPU drivers are being loaded it's causing a problem. See if you can borrow one to check, rather than just replacing it...I have cheap one on standby for diagnosing that I bought off Ebay...

pacmenace

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

That's really smart. Can you recommend a store/website where I could get a cheap graphics card? Or could you recommend a type or brand of card that would be good to test with?

Searched for 1Gb PCI Express and used filters New $30 - $60 PCI Xpress 16
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_udlo=30&LH_ItemCondition=3&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udhi=60&_nkw=1+Gb+PCI+express&_dmpt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&Compatible%2520Port%252FSlot=PCI%2520Express%2520x16&rt=nc

or you could go for something like a HD 6670 which will cost a bit more but will be an upgrade on your present one...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_dmpt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&_mPrRngCbx=1&_nkw=1+Gb+PCI+express+hd+6670
Go for a new one just in case you need to return.

pacmenace

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

Thanks for the recomendation! Just one quick question, why do you think its the GPU and not the CPU or motherboard?