Anybody use blacklight carpeting in their gameroom?

I am about to undertake the expansion / remodeling of my gameroom and
was thinking about putting down some sort of blacklight carpeting during
the process. I've seen it at the local bowling alley and thought it
looked pretty cool in that setting. Any advice / recommendations with
regard to doing so?

BTW - The thing I'm really dreading about this remodeling project is
protecting my pins in the process. I think I need to break them down,
fold them up and then wrap them with stretchwrap. That darn sheetrock
dust can find its way into the smallest of spaces and I don't want to
have to shop all of them out as part of the remodeling process.

Rick Swanson

I thought blacklights made colors fade on playfields and cabs? I guess
if you kept it under the pins just for the carpet it would be ok

Rick Swanson wrote:
> I am about to undertake the expansion / remodeling of my gameroom and
> was thinking about putting down some sort of blacklight carpeting during
> the process. I've seen it at the local bowling alley and thought it
> looked pretty cool in that setting. Any advice / recommendations with
> regard to doing so?

Here's the thing I don't understand...

UV light makes cabinets (and other things) fade, right? Aren't
blacklights just flourescents that put out lots of UV light?? If so,
wouldn't putting black lights in the room run counter to the idea of
preserving your games?

IM(ns?)HO, I think black lights are kind of a one trick pony. I'd
_imagine_ that after the first five minutes, you'd probably leave them
off except for a party. So keep that in mind as well.

> BTW - The thing I'm really dreading about this remodeling project is
> protecting my pins in the process. I think I need to break them down,
> fold them up and then wrap them with stretchwrap. That darn sheetrock
> dust can find its way into the smallest of spaces and I don't want to
> have to shop all of them out as part of the remodeling process.

When building arcade #1, I didn't have enough room to completely unload
all of the pins. I could only unload half of them. So I had one side
of the room with construction, and one side with pins in it.

What I wound up doing was leaving the games set up. I went to Menards
and bought two of those packs of cling wrap that they sell for sealing
up patio sliding doors in winter. Taped them together in the middle
(needed the length). Then I draped it over the row... It went
completely over the heads, and down the front to about halfway down the
coin door. A little painter's tape along the back side and the front
(low-tack tape so as not to damage the cabs), and everything was cool!

If you folded the heads down first, I think you _easily_ go ALL the way
around the games to the bottom edge.

All told about $10 worth of plastic wrap (manufacturing cost: $0.02)
covered 5 games. Not bad, and you can recycle it afterwards. :)

>All told about $10 worth of plastic wrap (manufacturing cost: $0.02)

HEY! no soap boxed allowed, start your own thread :)

>Not bad, and you can recycle it afterwards. :)

Korn, recycle....that is like....responsible. Who stole your password?

Kirb
(PS- I always thought UV lighting was tacky, wrap the hell out of your
games with the streach wrap and tape over the cab holes if you can)

I heard the same thing about blacklight, that it fades the cab and
playfield faster. I think there was a thread about it a couple years
ago.

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone happen to know if neon
lights have the same effect? accelerating the fading???

Rick, good luck with your remodeling. Be sure to post pics! I hope to
do the same thing when I reclaim some of my basement space from the
kids giant plastic toys :)

>I always thought UV lighting was tacky

....and since I had eye surgery I can't look at a black light without
some funky shadowing and double vision.

Kirb

If i had a nice game room, i wouldnt do black lights or the carpet. I
think blacklights kinda make the game room look cheap. I on the other
hand do have a black light in my basement and the only reason I have a
black light is that one of my Pins is a Viper Night Drivin and that
game has black lights on it, so I placed a black light on the ceiling
above the Viper Pin so that when I play Viper I get more of a Black
light effect. If i didnt own that pinball i would do it...Now if you
own that pinball or want to own that pinball one day, you could
possibly have a section of your game room that is black light down.
Thats just me

brivy

kirb wrote:
> >Not bad, and you can recycle it afterwards. :)
>
> Korn, recycle....that is like....responsible. Who stole your password?

Haha, I've never been against recycling; I'm a semi-green person. I
take public trans to work every day, partly because of lower emissions,
and partly to save wear and tear on the truck. It's a win-win. :)

Although, in context, I really meant to say "reuse" rather than
"recycle"... But same idea. :)

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

JohnBoyGamer wrote:
> I used it in my gameroom, really cool effect. It's kind of hard to
> take a picture of what it really looks like but here is a link to some
> pictures a friend of mine took at my last party...
>
> http://www.alsarcade.com/jj52205/index.htm
>
> Jon

What an AWESOME gameroom! I like the lighting alot along
with all your games.

Rob

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 09:00:39 -0400, Rick Swanson <rns510@charter.net>
wrote:

>I am about to undertake the expansion / remodeling of my gameroom and
>was thinking about putting down some sort of blacklight carpeting during
>the process. I've seen it at the local bowling alley and thought it
>looked pretty cool in that setting. Any advice / recommendations with
>regard to doing so?
>
>BTW - The thing I'm really dreading about this remodeling project is
>protecting my pins in the process. I think I need to break them down,
>fold them up and then wrap them with stretchwrap. That darn sheetrock
>dust can find its way into the smallest of spaces and I don't want to
>have to shop all of them out as part of the remodeling process.
>

>Rick Swanson

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

The homebrew is the best part.

:>)

Otto

CARGPB11

"Rob" <rvh301@aol.com> wrote in message

> JohnBoyGamer wrote:
>> I used it in my gameroom, really cool effect. It's kind of hard to
>> take a picture of what it really looks like but here is a link to some
>> pictures a friend of mine took at my last party...
>>
>> http://www.alsarcade.com/jj52205/index.htm
>>
>> Jon
>>
> What an AWESOME gameroom! I like the lighting alot along
> with all your games.

The walls are corrugated roofing tin and cement painted to look like
brick. I really need to take some more pictures and put up a web site.
Thanks to Al for posting these to his website. If you are ever in
Atlanta stop on by, I always have plenty of home brew on tap!
Jon

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 11:01:35 -0400, Rick Swanson <rns510@charter.net>
wrote:

>Wow Jon, that really looks nice! What is the wall covering that you
>used? It looks corrugated.
>
>Oh, and the "Peep Show Nightly" sign.... way cool!
>

>Rick Swanson
>
>JohnBoyGamer wrote:
>
>>I used it in my gameroom, really cool effect. It's kind of hard to
>>take a picture of what it really looks like but here is a link to some
>>pictures a friend of mine took at my last party...
>>
>>http://www.alsarcade.com/jj52205/index.htm
>>
>>Jon
>>

>>On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 09:00:39 -0400, Rick Swanson <rns510@charter.net>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>I am about to undertake the expansion / remodeling of my gameroom and
>>>was thinking about putting down some sort of blacklight carpeting during
>>>the process. I've seen it at the local bowling alley and thought it
>>>looked pretty cool in that setting. Any advice / recommendations with
>>>regard to doing so?
>>>
>>>BTW - The thing I'm really dreading about this remodeling project is
>>>protecting my pins in the process. I think I need to break them down,
>>>fold them up and then wrap them with stretchwrap. That darn sheetrock
>>>dust can find its way into the smallest of spaces and I don't want to
>>>have to shop all of them out as part of the remodeling process.
>>>

>>>Rick Swanson

I have "blacklight" carpet in my gameroom even though it's not
illuminated with blacklight. I have a ceiling fan with blue neon that
actually lights it up fairly well. I used the Galaxy pattern from
http://www.astrocarpetmills.com/entertainment.html

Every single person who has seen it loves it. You *feel* like you're in
an arcade, not just another room of the house.

Robert
-----
http://www.robertwinter.com

Rick Swanson wrote:
> I am about to undertake the expansion / remodeling of my gameroom and
> was thinking about putting down some sort of blacklight carpeting during
> the process. I've seen it at the local bowling alley and thought it
> looked pretty cool in that setting. Any advice / recommendations with
> regard to doing so?
>
> BTW - The thing I'm really dreading about this remodeling project is
> protecting my pins in the process. I think I need to break them down,
> fold them up and then wrap them with stretchwrap. That darn sheetrock
> dust can find its way into the smallest of spaces and I don't want to
> have to shop all of them out as part of the remodeling process.
>

> Rick Swanson

MacMan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

> Here's the thing I don't understand...
>
> UV light makes cabinets (and other things) fade, right? Aren't
> blacklights just flourescents that put out lots of UV light?? If so,
> wouldn't putting black lights in the room run counter to the idea of
> preserving your games?

Well... there's UV and then there's UV. There are several different kind
of black lights depending on the effect you want.

There are different wavelengths.

As for cab fade... think if it this way. It is next to impossible to
erase an eprom under a fluro... even a blacklight fluro at room
distances (that's why eprom erasers have the bulb an inch away).

It's a lot easier, compared to a fluro, to erase an eprom in direct
sunlight.

I don't think fade would be a problem.

> IM(ns?)HO, I think black lights are kind of a one trick pony. I'd
> _imagine_ that after the first five minutes, you'd probably leave them
> off except for a party. So keep that in mind as well.

I actually like black lighting, but it has to be designed. Don't throw
down a space scene carpet and whack up a couple of fluro's. That's ugly
and would annoy the hell out of everyone in two minutes and ruin the
lighting effects of some of your pins.

Look at spot downlights, look at floor level spots that sweep back and
forth, look at a neon strip around the room. Theres lots of stuff you
can do. Go to some specialty lighting stores, even theatre lighting
suppliers, see what's available, and work out what effect you want to
create.

Cheers
MacMan

Here is an older picture of Jon's gameroom that shows the carpet a
little better:

http://home.comcast.net/~jonrac/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1658822.html

We purchased the carpet from the actual manufacturer in Dalton, GA
after viewing a version of it on their website at

http://www.astrocarpetmills.com/arcade.html

Luckily we are close enough that we just drove up to Dalton and were
able to see the carpets firsthand. It's hard to imagine large sections
of the carpet from just the small samples on the website.

Julie

I'm doing blacklights in one of my gamerooms (the 70's room). Unfortunately,
the blacklight-reactive carpet was vetoed. I wouldn't worry about cab fade
unless you use them constantly. The best reason to have blacklights is the
reaction you get from kids, some of whom have never seen a black light
before. They love to see their shirts and shoelaces light up. Throw in some
blacklight reactive toys, and you got yourself a party!

John