Floppy not shown

Hello. I posted this a few days ago and was wondering if anyone has any
suggestion. The floppy drive does not show in the "my computer". Has a yellow
exclamation mark on it in the device manager. I have tried uninstalling it
and upon rebooting the pc would see and the light goes on momentarily it but
i get a message saying " wondows can not load the device driver for this
hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39). In the CMOS it is
listed correctly and not disabled. Any idea what could have happened and what
the solution might be? Your input is appreciated!
7 answers Last reply
More about floppy shown

    What type of floppy drive is it? USB? Try visiting the manufacturer for
    updated drivers. Have you try a different USB device to confirm that your
    USB port is good?

    "Chris" wrote:

    > Hello. I posted this a few days ago and was wondering if anyone has any
    > suggestion. The floppy drive does not show in the "my computer". Has a yellow
    > exclamation mark on it in the device manager. I have tried uninstalling it
    > and upon rebooting the pc would see and the light goes on momentarily it but
    > i get a message saying " wondows can not load the device driver for this
    > hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39). In the CMOS it is
    > listed correctly and not disabled. Any idea what could have happened and what
    > the solution might be? Your input is appreciated!

    This is a quote for Error 39 (from
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp )
    Reasons for this error include a driver that is not present; a binary file
    that is corrupt; a file I/O problem, or a driver that references an entry
    point in another binary file that could not be loaded.

    Uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall
    or upgrade the driver.

    On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the
    troubleshooting wizard.

    I had a problem with my floppy being recognized recently - and rather than
    spend the time troubleshooting it, I bought a USB floppy on the web for about
    $25. No more problem!

    > Hello. I posted this a few days ago and was wondering if anyone has
    > any suggestion. The floppy drive does not show in the "my computer".
    > Has a yellow exclamation mark on it in the device manager. I have
    > tried uninstalling it and upon rebooting the pc would see and the
    > light goes on momentarily it but i get a message saying " wondows can
    > not load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
    > corrupted or missing (code 39). In the CMOS it is listed correctly
    > and not disabled. Any idea what could have happened and what the
    > solution might be? Your input is appreciated!

    Have you tried putting another floppy drive?

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Hi Chris,

    Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the
    following registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
    {4D36E980-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    Programs/Administrative Tools/Services/In the right pane set"Shell Hardware
    Detection" service to manual startup. Set it to automatic.

    Or ....

    Go to Start/Run/services.msc

    Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services. In the right pane find
    Shell Hardware Detection and set it to Automatic.

    The Floppy Disk Drive Is Missing in My Computer Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812489

    Floppy Disk is Not Accessible, Not Formatted, or Not Recognized by Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060

    Troubleshooting Device Conflicts with Device Manager
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q310126

    Troubleshooting Device Manager Issues in Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_dm.htm

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    > Hello. I posted this a few days ago and was wondering if anyone has any
    > suggestion. The floppy drive does not show in the "my computer". Has a
    > yellow
    > exclamation mark on it in the device manager. I have tried uninstalling it
    > and upon rebooting the pc would see and the light goes on momentarily it
    > but
    > i get a message saying " wondows can not load the device driver for this
    > hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39). In the CMOS it
    > is
    > listed correctly and not disabled. Any idea what could have happened and
    > what
    > the solution might be? Your input is appreciated!

    'The Floppy Disk Drive Is Missing From the My Computer Folder'
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;812489

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Chris wrote:

    > Hello. I posted this a few days ago and was wondering if anyone has any
    > suggestion. The floppy drive does not show in the "my computer". Has a yellow
    > exclamation mark on it in the device manager. I have tried uninstalling it
    > and upon rebooting the pc would see and the light goes on momentarily it but
    > i get a message saying " wondows can not load the device driver for this
    > hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39). In the CMOS it is
    > listed correctly and not disabled. Any idea what could have happened and what
    > the solution might be? Your input is appreciated!

    S. Sengupta, thanks for the link. That solved my problem and got the floppy
    drive back. Thanks again!

    Chris wrote:
    > *Hello. I posted this a few days ago and was wondering if anyone has
    > any
    > suggestion. The floppy drive does not show in the "my computer". Has
    > a yellow
    > exclamation mark on it in the device manager. I have tried
    > uninstalling it
    > and upon rebooting the pc would see and the light goes on momentarily
    > it but
    > i get a message saying " wondows can not load the device driver for
    > this
    > hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39). In the
    > CMOS it is
    > listed correctly and not disabled. Any idea what could have happened
    > and what
    > the solution might be? Your input is appreciated! *
    Code 39
    Hi this is what it means
    The driver is missing or corrupted, or is in conflict with another
    driver. Look for an updated driver ot reinstall the current driver. If
    the driver worked previously, use System Restore to roll back to a
    working configuration.

    Also check ribbon is firmly pushed into the back of the Adrive.

    --
    thedon57

Floppy Disk Windows XP