Graffiti 1 on a T5?

November 3, 2004 8:24:36 PM

Could someone who has already managed to get their hands on a
Tungsten T5 please let us all know whether the Graffiti 1 upgrade
(as at http://zansstuff.com/palm.html) works, as it does on the T2
and T3?

Thanks,
Daniel.

More about : graffiti

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 8:24:37 PM

Wouldnt that be more of a "downgrade"?

"Daniel James" <wastebasket@nospam.aaisp.org> wrote in message
> Could someone who has already managed to get their hands on a
> Tungsten T5 please let us all know whether the Graffiti 1 upgrade
> (as at http://zansstuff.com/palm.html) works, as it does on the T2
> and T3?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel.

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 8:24:38 PM

Lone Bard wrote:

> Wouldnt that be more of a "downgrade"?

No. Graffiti 2 is an inferior input system. It is correct to call
Graffiti 1 an upgrade.

bblackmoor
2004-11-03
November 3, 2004 8:24:38 PM

In message <aG8id.19664$OD3.950704@news20.bellglobal.com> "Lone Bard"
<barry.k@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>> Could someone who has already managed to get their hands on a
>> Tungsten T5 please let us all know whether the Graffiti 1 upgrade
>> (as at http://zansstuff.com/palm.html) works, as it does on the T2
>> and T3?
>
>Wouldnt that be more of a "downgrade"?

Nope. Not if you need to write quickly, or be able to enter a /K or /I
(/ = menu, not a literal / symbol)

--
Boom. Boom boom boom. Boom boom. BOOM. Have a nice day.
-- Susan Ivanova, B5

Lone Bard wrote:

> Wouldnt that be more of a "downgrade"?

Not if you've been using Graffiti 1 for five years.
--
Wonderfalls unaired episode quote of the day:

"So you've been lying to this entire family for twenty years?"
"I haven't been lying the whole time. There was that initial lie and I
never bothered to tell you the truth. I'm not proud of it."
— Jaye's parents in "Crime Dog"

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 8:57:51 AM

In article <10oib8an0vtk00c@news.supernews.com>,
DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

> In message <aG8id.19664$OD3.950704@news20.bellglobal.com> "Lone Bard"
> <barry.k@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> >> Could someone who has already managed to get their hands on a
> >> Tungsten T5 please let us all know whether the Graffiti 1 upgrade
> >> (as at http://zansstuff.com/palm.html) works, as it does on the T2
> >> and T3?
> >
> >Wouldnt that be more of a "downgrade"?
>
> Nope. Not if you need to write quickly, or be able to enter a /K or /I
> (/ = menu, not a literal / symbol)

I recommend Tealscript. Better than G1 or G2. It can easily mimic the
best of either and you can easily create your own strokes. Make the
machine learn the way *you* prefer to enter text.

Regards,
-Doug
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 8:57:52 AM

In message <dhoffman-48E4E9.05575104112004@news.chatlink.com> Doug
Hoffman <dhoffman@journey.com> wrote:

>>> Wouldnt that be more of a "downgrade"?
>>
>> Nope. Not if you need to write quickly, or be able to enter a /K or /I
>> (/ = menu, not a literal / symbol)
>
>I recommend Tealscript. Better than G1 or G2. It can easily mimic the
>best of either and you can easily create your own strokes. Make the
>machine learn the way *you* prefer to enter text.

I've played with Tealscript a few times, but I've never really seen the
need. G1 and I get along well enough.

--
'Tis far better to have snipped too much than to never have snipped at all.
Anonymous

In article news:<BDAE9642yf@ameritech.net>, Zombie Elvis wrote:
> > Wouldnt that be more of a "downgrade"?
> >
> Not if you've been using Graffiti 1 for five years.

That's really not the point ... if G2 were as good as G1 I could
adapt to it very quickly.

The fact that it requires two strokes to make some characters, and
that the time between strokes and their relative placement can be
significant as well as the shapes of the strokes themselves, makes
G2 seriously inferior to G1 for rapid input. It may be a little
easier to learn G2, but once you've learnt it you're stuck down a
blind alley with nowhere to go but back to the start.

And, of course, there are menu shortcuts you can't enter at all
with G2, symbols and accented characters you can't enter, cursor
movement strokes don't work ...

So, has anyone tried G1 on a T5 yet?

Cheers,
Daniel.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 8:10:13 PM

Doug Hoffman <dhoffman@journey.com> wrote in message news:<dhoffman-48E4E9.05575104112004@news.chatlink.com>...
> In article <10oib8an0vtk00c@news.supernews.com>,
> DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

> > >Wouldnt that be more of a "downgrade"?
> >
> > Nope. Not if you need to write quickly, or be able to enter a /K or /I
> > (/ = menu, not a literal / symbol)
>
> I recommend Tealscript. Better than G1 or G2. It can easily mimic the
> best of either and you can easily create your own strokes. Make the
> machine learn the way *you* prefer to enter text.

I second that recommendation - I just installed it on my new Tungsten
E, because I just couldn't deal with the Graffiti 2 "improvements".
My data-entry speed doubled as soon as I configured it.

LM
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 11:05:43 PM

"Lone Bard" <barry.k@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Wouldnt that be more of a "downgrade"?
>
> "Daniel James" <wastebasket@nospam.aaisp.org> wrote in message
>> Could someone who has already managed to get their hands on a
>> Tungsten T5 please let us all know whether the Graffiti 1 upgrade
>> (as at http://zansstuff.com/palm.html) works, as it does on the T2
>> and T3?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Daniel.

Have you tried writing the UK pound symbol with G2? It requires a total of 5
strokes compared with 2 in G1.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 6:50:52 PM

In article <VA.00000919.05f57b21@nospam.aaisp.org>, Daniel James
<wastebasket@nospam.aaisp.org> wrote:

> In article news:<BDAE9642yf@ameritech.net>, Zombie Elvis wrote:
> > > Wouldnt that be more of a "downgrade"?
> > >
> > Not if you've been using Graffiti 1 for five years.
>
> That's really not the point ... if G2 were as good as G1 I could
> adapt to it very quickly.
>
> The fact that it requires two strokes to make some characters, and
> that the time between strokes and their relative placement can be
> significant as well as the shapes of the strokes themselves, makes
> G2 seriously inferior to G1 for rapid input. It may be a little
> easier to learn G2, but once you've learnt it you're stuck down a
> blind alley with nowhere to go but back to the start.
>
> And, of course, there are menu shortcuts you can't enter at all
> with G2, symbols and accented characters you can't enter, cursor
> movement strokes don't work ...
>
> So, has anyone tried G1 on a T5 yet?
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel.
>
> Tealscript works fine on my T5...but many other thngs don't.

Peter K
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 5:02:15 AM

"Daniel James" <wastebasket@nospam.aaisp.org> wrote in message
> Could someone who has already managed to get their hands on a
> Tungsten T5 please let us all know whether the Graffiti 1 upgrade
> (as at http://zansstuff.com/palm.html) works, as it does on the T2
> and T3?

Didn't work for me. I tried installing it (via SD card and FileZ) and just
ended up having to do a hard reset on the Tungsten T5.

So I guess it's not compatible.

Cheers
Steve T
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:41:30 PM

In article news:<G-SdnRmZw-QxbanfRVnysg@pipex.net>, Steve T wrote:
> Didn't work for me.

That's bad news, thanks.

Cheers,
Daniel.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 12:21:40 AM

Daniel James wrote:

> In article news:<G-SdnRmZw-QxbanfRVnysg@pipex.net>, Steve T wrote:
>
>>Didn't work for me.
>

> That's bad news, thanks.

You could give Tealscript a spin: http://www.tealpoint.com/softscrp.htm

I depend on it on my T3. Works just like Grafitti1 - and allows you to
create your own strokes. This is a great plus for us scandinavians with
three extra letters at the end of the alphabet... :-)

Works in all applications I am using, but I have come across one or two
older freeware apps (built for PalmOs 3) that did not allow tealscript
to work.

Regards,

Truls Thirud
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:37:14 PM

In article news:<4235f256$1@news.broadpark.no>, Truls Thirud wrote:
> Daniel James wrote:
> > In article news:<G-SdnRmZw-QxbanfRVnysg@pipex.net>, Steve T wrote:
> >
> >>Didn't work for me.
> >
> > That's bad news, thanks.
>
> You could give Tealscript a spin:
> http://www.tealpoint.com/softscrp.htm

I could ... and if Graffiti 1 doesn't work on the T5 I may have to do
just that when my T|T1 packs up ... as it eventually must ... if a T5 is
still the best replacement.

> I depend on it on my T3. Works just like Grafitti1

... but the Graffiti 1 upgrade *does* work on the T3. I know it's not
the same as TealScript but it works for me ... TealScript is sometimes
criticized for being slow, compared with Graffiti, though it does offer
more.

Cheers,
Daniel.
!