extending range

Last response: in Networking
Share
August 11, 2004 1:50:58 PM

is there anything that can be done to increase the range
of the wireless base station. I have it set up with a pc
in one room of the house and can not use my laptop
anywhere but that room.

More about : extending range

August 11, 2004 4:08:26 PM

If you don't mind running wires assuming you are using the Microsoft
hardware. With other manufactures your mileage may vary.

Since you didn't do a search on the subject like you should have. I'll
be nice enough this time to post directions for use with the Microsoft
Broadband Networking hardware.

Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #2 --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500,
or MN-700 #2
MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #3 --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500,
or MN-700 #3 (if available)

Make sure all MN-100s & MN-500s are running the latest firmware 1.11.017

Make sure all MN-700s are running the latest firmware 2.01.02.0590

Now lets look at the setup of each MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700:

MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
router mode
LAN IP address at default of 192.168.2.1
some SSID (if wireless)
some WEP key or WPA key if MN-700 (if wireless)
channel 6 (if wireless)

MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #2
bridge mode
LAN IP address at 192.168.2.42, outside of default DHCP range
same SSID (if wireless)
same WEP key or WPA key if MN-700 (if wireless)
channel 1 (if wireless)

MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #3 (if available)
bridge mode
LAN IP address at 192.168.2.43, outside of default DHCP range
same SSID (if wireless)
same WEP key or WPA key if MN-700 (if wireless)
channel 11 (if wireless)

If you keep the SSID and WEP key or WPA key (if using the MN-700) the
same for all base stations, people will be able to move between
locations and get a connection.

If you are using WEP on some but WPA on other wireless routers you will
have to reconfigure the wireless settings as you switch between wireless
networks.

You need to select non-overlapping channels for the base stations to
prevent interference.

Non-overlapping channels have at least 5 channels between them as 1, 6,
& 11 do.

Channels 1, 6, & 11 are the three non-overlapping channels.

There are more combinations if you only need two channels.

!