Who makes Dell RAM?

I was wondering if anyone knew the manufacturer of Dell RAM right now.
Is it actually Dell, or is it someone else's with a Dell sticker on it?
Thanx
-joltman

Not Dell. You can look far and wide all over the galaxy, and you will not find
a Dell factory. Dell computers are built by contract electronics manufacturers
(CEMs). The chassis, power supply, mobo, CPU, memory etc are manufactured by
your traditional manufacturers. Either the manufacturer or Dell employs little
gnomes to affix Dell stickers onto mostly generic commodity stuff. To Dell's
credit, there are quality standards in place to prevent schlocky sub-standard
parts from finding their way into a Dell system.

I have seen memory manufactured by most of the majors inside Dell systems. The
memory that turns up depends on the best price of the day when the CEM buys
memory... Ben Myers

> Not Dell. You can look far and wide all over the galaxy, and you will not
> find
> a Dell factory. Dell computers are built by contract electronics
> manufacturers
> (CEMs). The chassis, power supply, mobo, CPU, memory etc are manufactured
> by
> your traditional manufacturers. Either the manufacturer or Dell employs
> little
> gnomes to affix Dell stickers onto mostly generic commodity stuff. To
> Dell's
> credit, there are quality standards in place to prevent schlocky
> sub-standard
> parts from finding their way into a Dell system.
>
> I have seen memory manufactured by most of the majors inside Dell systems.
> The
> memory that turns up depends on the best price of the day when the CEM
> buys
> memory... Ben Myers

To add to this, Dell hasn't stickered RAM from the factory in quite some
time - perhaps since PC100 SDRAM or the Dell-badged RDRAM CRIMMs. I'm not
sure about RAM upgrades purchased from them, as I've never bought from them.

As pointed out, brands will vary. I've seen Samsung, Micron, and Hynix a
lot on the newer machines delivered lately.

Stew

Dell does not make own RAM. They use SAMSUNG, Huynda and Kingston -
possibly other vendors as well