Why does Windows XP not have a SAM.SAV file? Where is a backup copy of the
SAM stored?

Becky

Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;256986

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"cybergirrl" wrote:

| Why does Windows XP not have a SAM.SAV file? Where is a backup copy of the
| SAM stored?
|
| Becky

This does not answer the question. I've checked all of the installations of
XP Pro at my company, and they do not have a sam.sav file.

Becky

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;256986
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "cybergirrl" wrote:
>
> | Why does Windows XP not have a SAM.SAV file? Where is a backup copy of the
> | SAM stored?
> |
> | Becky

This does not answer my question. Why does XP Pro not have a sam.sav file?

Becky

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;256986
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "cybergirrl" wrote:
>
> | Why does Windows XP not have a SAM.SAV file? Where is a backup copy of the
> | SAM stored?
> |
> | Becky

Read the following on what a .SAV is used for:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/registry_hives.asp

"cybergirrl" <cybergirrl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This does not answer my question. Why does XP Pro not have a sam.sav
> file?
>
> Becky
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;256986
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> "cybergirrl" wrote:
>>
>> | Why does Windows XP not have a SAM.SAV file? Where is a backup copy of
>> the
>> | SAM stored?
>> |
>> | Becky

SAM.LOG is the backup for SAM.

%windir%system32\config
or
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:315F672F-B21F-4387-AFAF-BCA280461B96@microsoft.com,
cybergirrl <cybergirrl@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> This does not answer the question. I've checked all of the installations
> of XP Pro at my company, and they do not have a sam.sav file.
>
> Becky
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;256986
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

------------------

>> "cybergirrl" wrote:
>>
>>> Why does Windows XP not have a SAM.SAV file? Where is a backup copy of
>>> the SAM stored?
>>>
>>> Becky

Thanks to Wesley Vogel and R. McCarty for the tips.

It makes sense now. There is no .SAV file because there would be no SAM
file at the text mode setup portion when installing.

The SAM.log would be used to help with changes created during a specific
session, but would not be a complete backup of the SAM.

Thanks again!

Becky

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Read the following on what a .SAV is used for:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/registry_hives.asp
>
> "cybergirrl" <cybergirrl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This does not answer my question. Why does XP Pro not have a sam.sav
> > file?
> >
> > Becky
> >
> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;256986
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP