Product Key

Does anyone know how to change the product key in Windows XP which has
already been installed?
TIA
Dave
10 answers Last reply
More about product

    Dave wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to change the product key in Windows XP which has
    > already been installed?
    > TIA
    > Dave

    Boot up from the new CD and do a repair install.

    If you have an illegal volume licensed copy of XP Pro installed you will
    need to do a Repair Install using a legal version of XP Pro. Yes it must be
    the Professional version. A Repair Install involves booting with the legal
    version and then running an overtop reinstall. It must be done correctly or
    you can end up with a parallel install which is a real PITA. check here for
    "How To Run a Repair Install" http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

    If your current setup was made using a Retail version of XP but you used the
    wrong key you can likely just use the Keyfinder found here
    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.html . Simply run the app and go
    to Options->Change Key. However be advised that this keyfinder will not
    allow you to change the Product Key on a volume licensed version with a
    Retail Key.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;328874

    --
    Regards,
    Pramit Roy

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:12:01 -0600, "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca>
    wrote:

    > If you have an illegal volume licensed copy of XP Pro installed you will
    > need to do a Repair Install using a legal version of XP Pro. Yes it must be
    > the Professional version.

    Note that this is true ONLY if you want to keep your file structure
    intact. If you only want to have a legal install of XP Pro, and are
    not concerned with saving the file structure, you can purchase a
    "Retail Upgrade" CD (IF you have a previous legal disc of Windows) and
    do a "Clean" install after deleting the system partition.

    If you do not possess a previous legal disc of Windows, it will be
    sufficient to purchase a so-called "FULL OEM" (NOT a "pull).

    Note that discs from Windows 95/98/98SE/ME/NT4.1/XP (either pro or
    home) will be accepted by the XP "FULL OEM" installer.

    > A Repair Install involves booting with the legal
    > version and then running an overtop reinstall. It must be done correctly or
    > you can end up with a parallel install which is a real PITA. check here for
    > "How To Run a Repair Install" http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
    >
    > If your current setup was made using a Retail version of XP but you used the
    > wrong key you can likely just use the Keyfinder found here
    > http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.html . Simply run the app and go
    > to Options->Change Key. However be advised that this keyfinder will not
    > allow you to change the Product Key on a volume licensed version with a
    > Retail Key.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that conversations may be kept in order

    Sorry, I should have explained my problem a little better.
    I have 2 computers networked, and I downloaded & installed Microsoft
    Anti-spyware on my main computer which has on OEM version of windows XP home
    and I went through the Windows genuine validation process.
    Several months later Installed the same program on my other computer through
    the network which has Windows XP Professional retail.
    Now when I go to Windows Update web site on my comp with XP Pro, I am told
    that I have an invalid product key as it is using the key from my OEM home
    version computer.
    Is there a way around this problem?
    Dave

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 06:17:59 +1000, "Dave" <me@home> wrote:

    > Sorry, I should have explained my problem a little better.
    > I have 2 computers networked, and I downloaded & installed Microsoft
    > Anti-spyware on my main computer which has on OEM version of windows XP home
    > and I went through the Windows genuine validation process.
    > Several months later Installed the same program on my other computer through
    > the network which has Windows XP Professional retail.
    > Now when I go to Windows Update web site on my comp with XP Pro, I am told
    > that I have an invalid product key as it is using the key from my OEM home
    > version computer.
    > Is there a way around this problem?
    > Dave

    There is absolutely no LEGAL and Microsoft-supported way around your
    "problem."

    I can understand why you are receiving this message if you used the
    same product key for an installation on a second machine, when it was
    already used to install and activate on the first, as you wrote.

    That is is what Windows Product Activation is designed to do. In your
    case, it worked as it should. Product activation is designed to help
    insure that the same product key is not used to install and activate
    XP on more than ONE machine. This is supposed to reduce casual
    copying and passing on of your XP install disc to a friend or relative
    by everyone and his cousin.

    You just can't use the same product key it on more than one machine
    anymore. Of course, you CAN use the same CD key for more than one
    installation, but each subsequent attempt to activate the
    installations on them will bring up this message. Otherwise, you will
    have to start and run those installations in Safe Mode after the
    30-day grace period, since you can only run XP in safe mode once the
    grace period is expired without you successfully activating the
    installation.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that conversations may be kept in order

    Donald,
    I have two legal versions of XP on my machines.
    One is home (OEM) and the other is pro (Retail).
    Through the network, windows update is only seeing my OEM product key
    because I installed anti-spyware on both machines and it used the OEM
    version for validification instead of the retail version.
    How do I get it to see the retail version?

    Dave

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:00:22 +1000, "Dave" <me@home> wrote:

    > Donald,
    > I have two legal versions of XP on my machines.
    > One is home (OEM) and the other is pro (Retail).
    > Through the network, windows update is only seeing my OEM product key
    > because I installed anti-spyware on both machines and it used the OEM
    > version for validification instead of the retail version.
    > How do I get it to see the retail version?

    Sorry, Dave. You will have to wait for a network-support person to
    answer this question, since I know almost nothing about networks.

    I do know that:
    1) The Pro (Retail) CD may be used to install and activate XP as many
    times as you needed, on as many computers as you want, as long as it
    is installed AND activated on ONLY one (1), (uno), (adin), (ein), (un)
    machine at a time. That is, the license may be transferred to as many
    machines as needed, as long as it is to only ONE machine at a time.
    (It may not be installed and activated on TWO or more machines at the
    same time.)
    2) The Home (OEM) CD may be used to install and activate XP as often
    as needed, as long as it is installed and activated on the FIRST
    machine it was installed on ONLY.

    Donald

    > Dave
    > "Donald McDaniel" <dlmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 06:17:59 +1000, "Dave" <me@home> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Sorry, I should have explained my problem a little better.
    > >> I have 2 computers networked, and I downloaded & installed Microsoft
    > >> Anti-spyware on my main computer which has on OEM version of windows XP
    > >> home
    > >> and I went through the Windows genuine validation process.
    > >> Several months later Installed the same program on my other computer
    > >> through
    > >> the network which has Windows XP Professional retail.
    > >> Now when I go to Windows Update web site on my comp with XP Pro, I am
    > >> told
    > >> that I have an invalid product key as it is using the key from my OEM
    > >> home
    > >> version computer.
    > >> Is there a way around this problem?
    > >> Dave
    > >>

    > > There is absolutely no LEGAL and Microsoft-supported way around your
    > > "problem."
    > >
    > > I can understand why you are receiving this message if you used the
    > > same product key for an installation on a second machine, when it was
    > > already used to install and activate on the first, as you wrote.
    > >
    > > That is is what Windows Product Activation is designed to do. In your
    > > case, it worked as it should. Product activation is designed to help
    > > insure that the same product key is not used to install and activate
    > > XP on more than ONE machine. This is supposed to reduce casual
    > > copying and passing on of your XP install disc to a friend or relative
    > > by everyone and his cousin.
    > >
    > > You just can't use the same product key it on more than one machine
    > > anymore. Of course, you CAN use the same CD key for more than one
    > > installation, but each subsequent attempt to activate the
    > > installations on them will bring up this message. Otherwise, you will
    > > have to start and run those installations in Safe Mode after the
    > > 30-day grace period, since you can only run XP in safe mode once the
    > > grace period is expired without you successfully activating the
    > > installation.
    > >
    > > Donald L McDaniel
    > > Please reply to the original thread
    > > so that conversations may be kept in order

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that conversations may be kept in order

    Use MagicJellyBean from http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml that
    will allow you to change your CD key.
    Neil

    "Dave" <me@home> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know how to change the product key in Windows XP which has
    > already been installed?
    > TIA
    > Dave

    Dave wrote

    neil wrote:
    > Use MagicJellyBean from
    > http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml that will allow you
    > to change your CD key.

    Careful..
    It changes it based off this article:

    How to change the Volume Licensing product key on a Windows XP SP1-based
    computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874

    Which - for most of those with illegal keys (volume licenses they should not
    have) - this article witll not work - as it is doubtful they bought a volume
    license of their own. In other words - likely not useful for the OP.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

Microsoft Windows XP