Gordon

Dave wrote:
> Does anyone know how to change the product key in Windows XP which has
> already been installed?
> TIA
> Dave

Boot up from the new CD and do a repair install.

If you have an illegal volume licensed copy of XP Pro installed you will
need to do a Repair Install using a legal version of XP Pro. Yes it must be
the Professional version. A Repair Install involves booting with the legal
version and then running an overtop reinstall. It must be done correctly or
you can end up with a parallel install which is a real PITA. check here for
"How To Run a Repair Install" http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

If your current setup was made using a Retail version of XP but you used the
wrong key you can likely just use the Keyfinder found here
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.html . Simply run the app and go
to Options->Change Key. However be advised that this keyfinder will not
allow you to change the Product Key on a volume licensed version with a
Retail Key.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:12:01 -0600, "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca>
wrote:

> If you have an illegal volume licensed copy of XP Pro installed you will
> need to do a Repair Install using a legal version of XP Pro. Yes it must be
> the Professional version.

Note that this is true ONLY if you want to keep your file structure
intact. If you only want to have a legal install of XP Pro, and are
not concerned with saving the file structure, you can purchase a
"Retail Upgrade" CD (IF you have a previous legal disc of Windows) and
do a "Clean" install after deleting the system partition.

If you do not possess a previous legal disc of Windows, it will be
sufficient to purchase a so-called "FULL OEM" (NOT a "pull).

Note that discs from Windows 95/98/98SE/ME/NT4.1/XP (either pro or
home) will be accepted by the XP "FULL OEM" installer.

> A Repair Install involves booting with the legal
> version and then running an overtop reinstall. It must be done correctly or
> you can end up with a parallel install which is a real PITA. check here for
> "How To Run a Repair Install" http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
>
> If your current setup was made using a Retail version of XP but you used the
> wrong key you can likely just use the Keyfinder found here
> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.html . Simply run the app and go
> to Options->Change Key. However be advised that this keyfinder will not
> allow you to change the Product Key on a volume licensed version with a
> Retail Key.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Sorry, I should have explained my problem a little better.
I have 2 computers networked, and I downloaded & installed Microsoft
Anti-spyware on my main computer which has on OEM version of windows XP home
and I went through the Windows genuine validation process.
Several months later Installed the same program on my other computer through
the network which has Windows XP Professional retail.
Now when I go to Windows Update web site on my comp with XP Pro, I am told
that I have an invalid product key as it is using the key from my OEM home
version computer.
Is there a way around this problem?
Dave

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 06:17:59 +1000, "Dave" <me@home> wrote:

> Sorry, I should have explained my problem a little better.
> I have 2 computers networked, and I downloaded & installed Microsoft
> Anti-spyware on my main computer which has on OEM version of windows XP home
> and I went through the Windows genuine validation process.
> Several months later Installed the same program on my other computer through
> the network which has Windows XP Professional retail.
> Now when I go to Windows Update web site on my comp with XP Pro, I am told
> that I have an invalid product key as it is using the key from my OEM home
> version computer.
> Is there a way around this problem?
> Dave

There is absolutely no LEGAL and Microsoft-supported way around your
"problem."

I can understand why you are receiving this message if you used the
same product key for an installation on a second machine, when it was
already used to install and activate on the first, as you wrote.

That is is what Windows Product Activation is designed to do. In your
case, it worked as it should. Product activation is designed to help
insure that the same product key is not used to install and activate
XP on more than ONE machine. This is supposed to reduce casual
copying and passing on of your XP install disc to a friend or relative
by everyone and his cousin.

You just can't use the same product key it on more than one machine
anymore. Of course, you CAN use the same CD key for more than one
installation, but each subsequent attempt to activate the
installations on them will bring up this message. Otherwise, you will
have to start and run those installations in Safe Mode after the
30-day grace period, since you can only run XP in safe mode once the
grace period is expired without you successfully activating the
installation.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Donald,
I have two legal versions of XP on my machines.
One is home (OEM) and the other is pro (Retail).
Through the network, windows update is only seeing my OEM product key
because I installed anti-spyware on both machines and it used the OEM
version for validification instead of the retail version.
How do I get it to see the retail version?

Dave

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:00:22 +1000, "Dave" <me@home> wrote:

> Donald,
> I have two legal versions of XP on my machines.
> One is home (OEM) and the other is pro (Retail).
> Through the network, windows update is only seeing my OEM product key
> because I installed anti-spyware on both machines and it used the OEM
> version for validification instead of the retail version.
> How do I get it to see the retail version?

Sorry, Dave. You will have to wait for a network-support person to
answer this question, since I know almost nothing about networks.

I do know that:
1) The Pro (Retail) CD may be used to install and activate XP as many
times as you needed, on as many computers as you want, as long as it
is installed AND activated on ONLY one (1), (uno), (adin), (ein), (un)
machine at a time. That is, the license may be transferred to as many
machines as needed, as long as it is to only ONE machine at a time.
(It may not be installed and activated on TWO or more machines at the
same time.)
2) The Home (OEM) CD may be used to install and activate XP as often
as needed, as long as it is installed and activated on the FIRST
machine it was installed on ONLY.

Donald

neil wrote:
> Use MagicJellyBean from
> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml that will allow you
> to change your CD key.

Careful..
It changes it based off this article:

How to change the Volume Licensing product key on a Windows XP SP1-based
computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874

Which - for most of those with illegal keys (volume licenses they should not
have) - this article witll not work - as it is doubtful they bought a volume
license of their own. In other words - likely not useful for the OP.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP