Pretty Tech Savvy, never had a laptop- help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caprig

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
1 Budget- $500 is best, but will go slightly higher if necessary- (top would be in the $700 range if I can get financing for it)

2_Size of notebook considering- I am considering the Toshiba Satellite T115D-S1125 which has a screen of 11+"

3_Screeen resolution- does not HAVE to be hi-def side, but nice if it comes that way.

4_Portable vs laptop- I need this for a trip this summer - need to do online editing of writing for a site and have to be able to run Excel for spreadsheets to track my performance so I need something to take with me.

I also want this to cover the computer work I have to do online when other people are using the desktop here and I can not have access to it.

5_Battery life desired- at least 5 hours if possible

6_Games- the only games I might want to play would be Gray Matter which has not been released yet, and older games - such as adventure games- not high graphics which push systems over the edge.

7_Tasks- need to use Word, Excel, sometimes some light photo editing (making photos into jpg for online posting), run CorelDraw Photo Paint for that- I don't like Photo shop.

Online surfing and emails primarily beyond that.

8_HD- at least 150GB

9_Sites to buy from-

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+with+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+Neo+X2+Dual-Core+Processor+-+Nova+Black/9726445.p?skuId=9726445&productCategoryId=pcmcat196200050013&id=1218161855066

I am looking at the Toshiba T115D-S1125 notebook right now...

10 Years want to keep laptop would be three if possible.

11 Optical Drive- would like DVD/CD writer and reader but am willing to get USB external if necessary

12_Brands I prefer- Toshiba, Asus, Not sure what is good out there lately as quality in companies change like the wind. (Used to build computer systems for years but not recently, so am out of the loop of what is currently strong component wise)

13 Country- I live in the US

14_I would also like a reasonably strong build of unit as would anyone. Having it portable would be nice if I have to carry it on walks when traveling this summer.

I also want it to have nice keyboard that is easy to type on. I have a split keyboard with mousepad that is ANCIENT that I love because it is most comfortable to type on. They don't make them anymore, but I refuse to use a mouse- HATE THEM. Hurt my wrists.

Going to a straight on keyboard is going to be a change- I need something not too hard to type on...

I prefer a good mousepad on the laptop that is not weird tracking or too hard to press.

Since I have never had a laptop before, avoiding them because they are so easily broken, I am not sure if this one I am looking at would be worth it or not.

I tend to build or buy systems that last over time so I don't have to keep upgrading, but in the case of laptops, I know that their life is not always as long so building for the future it kind of silly.

Is the AMD Athlon Neo a decent processor for what I would want?

Any other input is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
The AMD Neo is the AMD version of the Intel Atom. atom satisfactory = neo satisfactory. I recommend you look at Asus ee pc- Karim rashid collection. For a tech savvy person on a budget, this is perfect. It runs windows 7, its thin and light, and has a good battery life. Do you NEED a netbook? because based on your requests, a VAIO E (less than 700 bucks) is ideal. remember that this 15 inch laptop is beastly compared to a netbook. in both size, cost, and performance. i doubt how smooth corel paint shop will run...

caprig

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010

The Toshiba is referred to as an actual laptop, I believe- netbooks are too small for me.

Thanks for the pointers- I will make sure to look at the brands you suggested. The main point of getting this laptop/notebook is for my summer trip. I might have to work a few miles away and have to backpack the laptop/notebook to get there. As long as I can put it in a backpack, I will be fine.

Of course, using it the rest of the time is what really matters, right? LOL a summer trip will be over and done with and I have to live with the computer after that.

My question is- Asus and VAIO- are they sturdy and last long? I live in a rural area and trucking this thing in to be fixed a lot is not easy at all- I have to travel quite a distance.

I don't plan to be playing baseball with it ( :pt1cable: ) but I have to be realistic- I don't baby anything like some people do. I am careful, but the rest of my family is not always.

Oh yes, and does Best Buy carry these laptops? I am limited there because I have an account and they offer 18 months no interest financing. Thanks if you can provide a link that would be helpful.

caprig

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Whoops I see that in some places it is called notebook and others it is called a laptop- this is so confusing sometimes- I wish they could get the terms straight at companies/stores.

caprig

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
I managed to get a hold of an HP Elitebook 2530p for a good price. I will let you know if it works or not. I hope it does. Although I tend to avoid HP this class of laptop/notebook seems to have good reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.