Dell Latitude XPi P120D floppy problem and other info?

You may have heard something like this before but....

I bought a Dell Latitude XPi P120D off Ebay.

It boots from the HD but has all the software removed. When I tried
to install, the floppy won't read anything I put in it--it only gives
me various error messages. I tried formatting another bootable floppy
with my desktop--the same thing happened.

Also, it won't work without the power cord plugged in. The battery
must be old or non existant--I don't know where to look for it.

I'd try to fix it--I've made minor repairs/upgrades on a desktop--but
I don't know where to start.

Should I try to fix it? Is this an expensive repair for the average
shop? How easy is it to find parts? Where can I get more info on it?
Should I use it as a paperweight and forget it? It would be just what
I need--IF I can get it working. Thanks for the help in advance.

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Sounds like its the floppy disk drive thats broken not your laptop, to
confirm this try another floppy disk drive if you know someone that has one
failing that unless you have a usb port on it then your a little stuck