Weird sound problem

Suddenly my laptop's sound has decided to play "hide and seek" with me.
It disappeared a few days ago, and after about 10+ times of audio
driver uninstall/reinstall/reboot it stayed mute (well, when you pull
your ear close enough you can hear a very weak "chopped" buzzing). It
suddenly decided to come back the next day and did stay for a couple of
days before disappearing again yesterday. I again tried a few
uninstall/reinstall/reboot without success, only for it to came back a
few hours later, again leaving me without a clue. It's gone again this
afternoon, and I'd like to know if anyone know what else I can try
besides "waiting" for it to come back?

I'm using Windows XP Professional SP2.

Cheers,
Nick.
7 answers Last reply
More about weird sound problem

    I'd bet it's a hardware issue, not a driver issue... i.e., your sound
    hardware is failing.

    The Cuddly Curmudgeon wrote:
    > I'd bet it's a hardware issue, not a driver issue... i.e., your sound
    > hardware is failing.

    Any way to confirm this? Like a sound card diagnostic program? Device
    manager doesn't seem to pick up anything.

    You've visited the Laptop manu.site for any updates?

    <nick@choicecomputers.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Suddenly my laptop's sound has decided to play "hide and seek" with me.
    > It disappeared a few days ago, and after about 10+ times of audio
    > driver uninstall/reinstall/reboot it stayed mute (well, when you pull
    > your ear close enough you can hear a very weak "chopped" buzzing). It
    > suddenly decided to come back the next day and did stay for a couple of
    > days before disappearing again yesterday. I again tried a few
    > uninstall/reinstall/reboot without success, only for it to came back a
    > few hours later, again leaving me without a clue. It's gone again this
    > afternoon, and I'd like to know if anyone know what else I can try
    > besides "waiting" for it to come back?
    >
    > I'm using Windows XP Professional SP2.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nick.

    nick@choicecomputers.co.nz wrote:

    > The Cuddly Curmudgeon wrote:
    >
    >>I'd bet it's a hardware issue, not a driver issue... i.e., your sound
    >>hardware is failing.
    >

    > Any way to confirm this? Like a sound card diagnostic program? Device
    > manager doesn't seem to pick up anything.

    Best way to rule it out is to install a known working sound card.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    nick@choicecomputers.co.nz wrote:

    > The Cuddly Curmudgeon wrote:
    >
    >>I'd bet it's a hardware issue, not a driver issue... i.e., your sound
    >>hardware is failing.
    >

    > Any way to confirm this? Like a sound card diagnostic program? Device
    > manager doesn't seem to pick up anything.

    Addendum, and try the problematic one in another system.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Rock wrote:
    > nick@choicecomputers.co.nz wrote:
    >
    > > The Cuddly Curmudgeon wrote:
    > >
    > >>I'd bet it's a hardware issue, not a driver issue... i.e., your sound
    > >>hardware is failing.
    > >

    > > Any way to confirm this? Like a sound card diagnostic program? Device
    > > manager doesn't seem to pick up anything.
    > >

    > Addendum, and try the problematic one in another system.

    Er... It's my *laptop* guys...

    nick@choicecomputers.co.nz wrote:

    > Rock wrote:
    >
    >>nick@choicecomputers.co.nz wrote:

    >>>Any way to confirm this? Like a sound card diagnostic program? Device
    >>>manager doesn't seem to pick up anything.
    >>>

    >>Addendum, and try the problematic one in another system.
    >

    > Er... It's my *laptop* guys...

    Oops.. sorry missed that part.

    --
    Rock