Weird sound problem

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Suddenly my laptop's sound has decided to play "hide and seek" with me.
It disappeared a few days ago, and after about 10+ times of audio
driver uninstall/reinstall/reboot it stayed mute (well, when you pull
your ear close enough you can hear a very weak "chopped" buzzing). It
suddenly decided to come back the next day and did stay for a couple of
days before disappearing again yesterday. I again tried a few
uninstall/reinstall/reboot without success, only for it to came back a
few hours later, again leaving me without a clue. It's gone again this
afternoon, and I'd like to know if anyone know what else I can try
besides "waiting" for it to come back?

I'm using Windows XP Professional SP2.

Cheers,
Nick.

I'd bet it's a hardware issue, not a driver issue... i.e., your sound
hardware is failing.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The Cuddly Curmudgeon wrote:
> I'd bet it's a hardware issue, not a driver issue... i.e., your sound
> hardware is failing.

Any way to confirm this? Like a sound card diagnostic program? Device
manager doesn't seem to pick up anything.

dl

You've visited the Laptop manu.site for any updates?

<nick@choicecomputers.co.nz> wrote in message
> Suddenly my laptop's sound has decided to play "hide and seek" with me.
> It disappeared a few days ago, and after about 10+ times of audio
> driver uninstall/reinstall/reboot it stayed mute (well, when you pull
> your ear close enough you can hear a very weak "chopped" buzzing). It
> suddenly decided to come back the next day and did stay for a couple of
> days before disappearing again yesterday. I again tried a few
> uninstall/reinstall/reboot without success, only for it to came back a
> few hours later, again leaving me without a clue. It's gone again this
> afternoon, and I'd like to know if anyone know what else I can try
> besides "waiting" for it to come back?
>
> I'm using Windows XP Professional SP2.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

nick@choicecomputers.co.nz wrote:

> The Cuddly Curmudgeon wrote:
>
>>I'd bet it's a hardware issue, not a driver issue... i.e., your sound
>>hardware is failing.
>

> Any way to confirm this? Like a sound card diagnostic program? Device
> manager doesn't seem to pick up anything.

Best way to rule it out is to install a known working sound card.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

nick@choicecomputers.co.nz wrote:

> The Cuddly Curmudgeon wrote:
>
>>I'd bet it's a hardware issue, not a driver issue... i.e., your sound
>>hardware is failing.
>

> Any way to confirm this? Like a sound card diagnostic program? Device
> manager doesn't seem to pick up anything.

Addendum, and try the problematic one in another system.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Rock wrote:
> nick@choicecomputers.co.nz wrote:
>
> > The Cuddly Curmudgeon wrote:
> >
> >>I'd bet it's a hardware issue, not a driver issue... i.e., your sound
> >>hardware is failing.
> >

> > Any way to confirm this? Like a sound card diagnostic program? Device
> > manager doesn't seem to pick up anything.
> >

> Addendum, and try the problematic one in another system.

Er... It's my *laptop* guys...

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

nick@choicecomputers.co.nz wrote:

> Rock wrote:
>
>>nick@choicecomputers.co.nz wrote:

>>>Any way to confirm this? Like a sound card diagnostic program? Device
>>>manager doesn't seem to pick up anything.
>>>

>>Addendum, and try the problematic one in another system.
>

> Er... It's my *laptop* guys...

Oops.. sorry missed that part.

--
Rock