Compaq presario charger problem solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalibear

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Hello,
I've had my compaq presario for a few years now, and for the past 2 the charging cord has not worked, I've had to re position it constantly. My current short term solution is duct tape. Have you found a solution to this problem? I know its not just me who has come across this issue.

JohnB_100

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

The most common cause of this problem is an open circuit on the DC jack of your AC adapter. You can get a brand new AC Adapter for most laptops on Amazon.com for under $10. The second most common problem is the connector pins on the DC plug getting loose from their soldered thru-holes in the motherboard. If you are comfortable taking the laptop apart to the point where the motherboard is taken completely out, you can turn the motherboard over and re-solder these pins (you need a good soldering iron and a steady hand). That isn't for the faint-hearted, even though you may be able to download a service manual that gives you step-by-step procedures. Otherwise, after you've tried the cheaper alternative (buying a new AC/DC adapter), you'll need to take the laptop to a reputable laptop service center, but expect to pay a bit for the labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.