SQUEAKING MOUSE

top hat

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Hello,
I HAVE A COMPAQ WIRED MOUSE CONNECTED TO MY DESKTOP WHICH IS RUNNING WINDOWS 7. ON SEVERAL OCCASSIONS THE MOUSE BEGINS SQUEAKING EVEN THOUGH THE COMPUTER IS NOT TURNED ON???? LAST NIGHT IT SCARED THE **** OUT OF ME TRYING TO FIGURE WHAT WAS MAKING THE SOUND. I FINALLY HAD TO PULL THE CABLE FROM THE PS2 SOCKET TO STOP IT. WHAT WAS THE MOUSE SQUEAKING ABOUT? WHERE DID IT GET IT'S POWER SINCE THE COMPUTER WAS TURNED OFF?

Solution
G
Your analysis is probably right -- best to minimise the number of wireless devices in your home if you want to avoid the unpredictable.

Especially if you need to use wireless networking -- all these devices work on the same band -- and the channels overlap so that, effectively, the 13 channels seemingly available to wireless networking are actually only 3.

I think you'll find that the mouse contains some batteries -- which explains how it might be able to respond to the weather station by flashing.

purplepatch

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I would try and make sure the mouse is on decent mat, one that is comfortable, and one that doesn't irritate it. I would not recommend getting a cat, that's very cruel, as a past keeper of rodents they are a lovable species not to be treated badly under any circumstances.

PP.

top hat

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
:bounce:

I finally figured out the truth about the Squeaking Mouse. Unfortunately the answer is embarrassing to me because it was not the mouse. You see I have a Weather Station monitor on the wall beside my computer. The other day a Technician from my ISP was here trying to determine why my DSL was so slow. He found it was our DSL modem so he replaced it and in the process he had to move the Weather Station monitor. In doing so he must have pushed a button which set an alert alarm of some sort. Well when the initial squeaking event occurred the squeak stopped just as I unplugged the PS2 cable, In my mind that established the mouse was the source of the squeak, so I left the cable unplugged and went back to bed. The next night the squeak happened while the PS2 cable was unplugged and the computer was still turned off. Then I was really puzzled! So I turned off all the power strips around the computer area. The third night I had placed the mouse under a pillow by the computer. Still unplugged and no electricity anywhere near. My wife said "if that thing squeaks again I am going to smash it with a hammer." Sure enough about the same time (12:05 AM) it started squeaking again. When I bent down to get the mouse from under the pillow my ear was just next to the Weather Monitor and I then heard where the sound was coming from. AHA! No need for a hammer or a cat. Puzzle solved. And I don't need a new mouse or a ghost chaser. Thanks for the reply, however, if it squeaks again I will let you know.

P.S. After thinking this over and discussing it with some friends and my wife, she said “Ok, now we know where the sound came, but where did the light come from?” I had forgotten that a flash of light was coming from under the mouse to the beat of the squeak. The only possible source of the flash is the weather station which has a transponder outside that transmits data to the inside monitor. Maybe it is possible that the signal must have an effect on the mouse to cause it to flash. If anyone has any ideas let me know; otherwise; I consider this puzzle solved. Don't mix mice and weather stations.

G

Your analysis is probably right -- best to minimise the number of wireless devices in your home if you want to avoid the unpredictable.

Especially if you need to use wireless networking -- all these devices work on the same band -- and the channels overlap so that, effectively, the 13 channels seemingly available to wireless networking are actually only 3.

I think you'll find that the mouse contains some batteries -- which explains how it might be able to respond to the weather station by flashing.

Solution
G

Sorry, actually not the Best Answer as I just re-read the original post -- it's not a wireless mouse . Mystery back to unsolved.

TRENDING THREADS