CD R/RW does not recognize a blank disk

August 20, 2005 6:40:20 AM

I’ve searched here and found others with this problem, but none were
resolved. Thought I would post it again to see if anyone has any other ideas
that have not yet been talked about.

Problem: CD R/RW does not recognize either R/RW blank disks when inserted.

I’ve tried: I’ve checked the registry to make sure it was listed as a
burner, tried changing speeds, several different brands of CD’s and burning
software. Nothing seems to work. I took the CD player out and installed it in
a friend’s machine, he is still running Win 98, and it worked fine.

My old CD player started to do this same thing. Some days it would recognize
a blank disk, and other days it would not. I don’t burn CD’s very often so it
was not a big deal. I recently bought this new CD player/burner but still
nothing. This seems to be a common problem. If you do a search on Google,
you’ll see similar posts in forums everywhere. The more I think about it, I
think the problem start when I updated to service pack 2 (SP2), but not
positive on that.

Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated.

Jack

More about : recognize blank disk

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 1:40:03 PM

Have you checked some known issues like
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;218617

--
Regards,
Pramit Roy

"Jack R" wrote:

> I’ve searched here and found others with this problem, but none were
> resolved. Thought I would post it again to see if anyone has any other ideas
> that have not yet been talked about.
>
> Problem: CD R/RW does not recognize either R/RW blank disks when inserted.
>
> I’ve tried: I’ve checked the registry to make sure it was listed as a
> burner, tried changing speeds, several different brands of CD’s and burning
> software. Nothing seems to work. I took the CD player out and installed it in
> a friend’s machine, he is still running Win 98, and it worked fine.
>
> My old CD player started to do this same thing. Some days it would recognize
> a blank disk, and other days it would not. I don’t burn CD’s very often so it
> was not a big deal. I recently bought this new CD player/burner but still
> nothing. This seems to be a common problem. If you do a search on Google,
> you’ll see similar posts in forums everywhere. The more I think about it, I
> think the problem start when I updated to service pack 2 (SP2), but not
> positive on that.
>
> Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated.
>
> Jack

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 10:41:01 PM

Yes, I have been through the knowledge base and have read every article that
has to do with CD burning. So far nothing has helped. It will play music
CD's, and it will read data CD's. The only problem is that it will not
recognize a bland disk when it is inserted.

Thank you for the responses, hopefully I will get a few more ideas on what
to try.

Jack

"Pramit Roy" wrote:

> Have you checked some known issues like
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;218617
>

> --
> Regards,
> Pramit Roy
>

> "Jack R" wrote:
>
> > I’ve searched here and found others with this problem, but none were
> > resolved. Thought I would post it again to see if anyone has any other ideas
> > that have not yet been talked about.
> >
> > Problem: CD R/RW does not recognize either R/RW blank disks when inserted.
> >
> > I’ve tried: I’ve checked the registry to make sure it was listed as a
> > burner, tried changing speeds, several different brands of CD’s and burning
> > software. Nothing seems to work. I took the CD player out and installed it in
> > a friend’s machine, he is still running Win 98, and it worked fine.
> >
> > My old CD player started to do this same thing. Some days it would recognize
> > a blank disk, and other days it would not. I don’t burn CD’s very often so it
> > was not a big deal. I recently bought this new CD player/burner but still
> > nothing. This seems to be a common problem. If you do a search on Google,
> > you’ll see similar posts in forums everywhere. The more I think about it, I
> > think the problem start when I updated to service pack 2 (SP2), but not
> > positive on that.
> >
> > Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated.
> >
> > Jack

August 21, 2005 2:43:52 AM

Have you tried playing a standard recorded CD? I was having a similar
problem with an Iomega external CD/DVD drive. It was recognized by my OS as
a drive and would play but not as a burner.
Iomega sent me a link to a multi-step diagnostic and step 2 ( a changed
setting) solved it.
Martynz

"Jack R" <JackR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've searched here and found others with this problem, but none were
> resolved. Thought I would post it again to see if anyone has any other
> ideas
> that have not yet been talked about.
>
> Problem: CD R/RW does not recognize either R/RW blank disks when inserted.
>
> I've tried: I've checked the registry to make sure it was listed as a
> burner, tried changing speeds, several different brands of CD's and
> burning
> software. Nothing seems to work. I took the CD player out and installed it
> in
> a friend's machine, he is still running Win 98, and it worked fine.
>
> My old CD player started to do this same thing. Some days it would
> recognize
> a blank disk, and other days it would not. I don't burn CD's very often so
> it
> was not a big deal. I recently bought this new CD player/burner but still
> nothing. This seems to be a common problem. If you do a search on Google,
> you'll see similar posts in forums everywhere. The more I think about it,
> think the problem start when I updated to service pack 2 (SP2), but not
> positive on that.
>
> Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated.
>
> Jack

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 5:59:59 PM

This was the solution page that Iomega sent me. Step 2 found the problem.
https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_na_en....
Hope it works for you
> Yes, I have been through the knowledge base and have read every article
> that
> has to do with CD burning. So far nothing has helped. It will play music
> CD's, and it will read data CD's. The only problem is that it will not
> recognize a bland disk when it is inserted.
>
> Thank you for the responses, hopefully I will get a few more ideas on what
> to try.
>
> Jack
>
> "Pramit Roy" wrote:
>
>> Have you checked some known issues like
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;218617
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Pramit Roy
>>

>> "Jack R" wrote:
>>
>> > I've searched here and found others with this problem, but none were
>> > resolved. Thought I would post it again to see if anyone has any other
>> > ideas
>> > that have not yet been talked about.
>> >
>> > Problem: CD R/RW does not recognize either R/RW blank disks when
>> > inserted.
>> >
>> > I've tried: I've checked the registry to make sure it was listed as a
>> > burner, tried changing speeds, several different brands of CD's and
>> > burning
>> > software. Nothing seems to work. I took the CD player out and installed
>> > it in
>> > a friend's machine, he is still running Win 98, and it worked fine.
>> >
>> > My old CD player started to do this same thing. Some days it would
>> > recognize
>> > a blank disk, and other days it would not. I don't burn CD's very often
>> > so it
>> > was not a big deal. I recently bought this new CD player/burner but
>> > still
>> > nothing. This seems to be a common problem. If you do a search on
>> > Google,
>> > you'll see similar posts in forums everywhere. The more I think about
>> > it, I
>> > think the problem start when I updated to service pack 2 (SP2), but not
>> > positive on that.
>> >
>> > Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated.
>> >
>> > Jack

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 6:00:00 PM

Thanks for the help. I had already tried nearly all of those steps in that
article. There is a similar one in the knowledge base.

Thanks again

Jack

!