Processor stopped working with motherboard.But the

varghesejim

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2003
P3 933 MHz
Vesta M/B
128 MB RAM
The system was working for two years.One month before problems started.Some times it was not starting(not even BIOS routine).But the IDE activity LED was blinking and the processor fan also working.Sometimes it was working fine.This continued for almost one month.From last week it is not working(the processor fan and IDE activity LED is working).
So we just found a system with the same configuation with celeron instead of P3.We tried our P3 with that system.It works!!Then we tried the celeron in the problematic system.It is working fine!!!.How our processor simply refused to work with the motherboard one fine day after two years of faithful service.It is happy with another system!!.can anybody help

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Quick thoughts:

1) A cable or connection was just slightly loose and swapping things around gave it a solid connection again.

2) There was a dust buildup that was causing a short and swapping things around cleaned up enough of the dust to solve the problem.

3) The Celeron requires less power so if the power supply was starting to get flaky and was right on the edge, the Celeron will give it a little more headroom than the P3 will.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

varghesejim

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2003
Thank u for ur reply.But your assumptions hardly to be right.If there is dust or loose connection how the celeron is working with the motherboard and the p3 is working with the other one perfectly.The system was working for two years,so how one fine day it demands more power from the power supply?

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya varghesejim;

in response to:
-----------------------------------------------------------
If there is dust or loose connection how the celeron is working with the motherboard and the p3 is working with the other one perfectly.
heh
well when you swapped out CPU's im guessing you made sure that everything was right and tight...enough said

in response to:
----------------------------------------------------------
The system was working for two years,so how one fine day it demands more power from the power supply?
heh
If the power supply is starting to degrade it may not power a p3, but may power a celeron, Its not that just one fine day the p3 demanded more power, its that one fine day the power supply finally stopped producing enough power to power the p3 and the rest of the hardware. your power supply needs to be replaced it is marginal and will continue to degrade to the point of failure.
If it happens not to be the power supply which i find highly unlikely, then see above.

in response to:
Thank u for ur reply (slvr_phoenix).But your assumptions hardly to be right.
heh
How the hell would you know you werent even smart enough to trouble shoot the system first properly to figure out what exactly was going on, instead you go out and buy another PC to solve the problem.

XeeN

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
**ROFL**

Thanks XeeN. :) You nailed my every thought.

I also have a fourth thought too:

4) If the RAM on the first system was failing, the Celeron's lower FSB would mean less of a demand from the RAM and thus a return to stability.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
the possibilities for cause of failure abound...
Sadly they really do. :( It's always a pain trying to diagnose these things, especially when you have to buy new hardware to try and fix them because you have nothing to just test with. The possibilities are just nearly endless. Yet I've found that a large amount of time they have to do with dust affecting some component or another...

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
I was once having issues with a computer I was building for my gf (it wouldn't post) so I used a processor that was owned by a very large corporation (which shall remain nameless) in order to determine where the problem was. It ended up frying the processor (whoops). The system was one of those XPCs (shuttle) which after further inspection I think was an RMA (and the company I ordered it from sent it by accident I guess). I was lucky I didn't end up eating the cost of that proc!!!!

"Don't question it!!!" - Err

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Ouch!

No kidding. That must have been one lucky day. (And one hell of a stressfull day too.)

That's why I try to keep a computer graveyard instead of selling off old parts. Unfortunately I just don't upgrade often enough for it to always have a backup. Right now I think my graveyard consists mostly of Pentium 133 parts. Heh heh. I could probably build two or three P133 systems. I'd do it to, if I had a place to put one... Heck, right now even my old Mac II is just serving as a footrest because I have no room to set it up. Heh heh. :)

I miss Robowar. :(

I think that was the <i>only</i> reason that I ever bought a Mac, was just to play that game.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I had a system act the exact same way last year. The power supply wasn't putting out as much power as when it was new. I replaced the power supply, and all was well once again.

3 or 4 years ago, I had a memory chip start failing from heat. I put it on a slower bus speed system, and it worked fine.

So the suggestions you're seeing are all valid. Verified by Crashman himself! And the most likely cause would be the weakening power supply.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

varghesejim

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2003
response
well when you swapped out CPU's im guessing you made sure that everything was right and tight...enough said

And after that I tried the original configuation.It was not working.And then I tried the successful one.Working.
Then original,not working.I tried this so many times.
Outcome-P3 is simply not working with the old motherboard.Thats all