Dell Optiplex GX260 -- 2nd serial port

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi.

Problem with a Dell Optiplex GX260.

I need to install a second serial port on this motherboard. On a
normal system, I would plug a standard DB-9 ribbon cable on the
adaptor. But not here.

The connector is on the mobo but no cable was delivered with it.

Ref: http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/opgx260/en/sm/sysbrd.htm#1111216
(first diagram, item #15)

To my surprise, the connector has 12, not 10 pins! So of course no
standard cable will fit.

Standard layout:

o o o o
o o o o o

Dell layout:

o o o o o
o o o o o o

I spoke to Dell who gave me a whole song and dance: secondary serial
ports are no longer necessary (beside the point); they have never
heard of such a cable (that's a lie); that port is probably there for
show or diagnostics by their "qualified" personnel (bullshit).

So it looks like I have to make my own cable. Would anyone happen to
know the correct pinout for this hybrid port?

Or better yet, know where I could find a ready-made cable? (not at
Dell, obviously!)

Thanks
===
Mark T.

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Dell does mention a "serial port adapter" for it here;
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/opgx260/en/sm/cards.htm#1104768
Did they deny its existence?

"Mr. X" <x9012590125@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> Problem with a Dell Optiplex GX260.
>
> I need to install a second serial port on this motherboard. On a
> normal system, I would plug a standard DB-9 ribbon cable on the
> adaptor. But not here.
>
> The connector is on the mobo but no cable was delivered with it.
>
> Ref: http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/opgx260/en/sm/sysbrd.htm#1111216
> (first diagram, item #15)
>
> To my surprise, the connector has 12, not 10 pins! So of course no
> standard cable will fit.
>

> Standard layout:
>
> o o o o
> o o o o o
>

> Dell layout:
>
> o o o o o
> o o o o o o
>

> I spoke to Dell who gave me a whole song and dance: secondary serial
> ports are no longer necessary (beside the point); they have never
> heard of such a cable (that's a lie); that port is probably there for
> show or diagnostics by their "qualified" personnel (bullshit).
>

> So it looks like I have to make my own cable. Would anyone happen to
> know the correct pinout for this hybrid port?
>
> Or better yet, know where I could find a ready-made cable? (not at
> Dell, obviously!)
>

> Thanks
> ===
> Mark T.

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yes they do!

I don't mind making the cable myself, but then I need a plastic piece
(12-pin) that would fit the connector on the mobo, and the pinout
naturally.

Would you have this info?

I guess I could start looking at second-hand PC parts sites, but I
doubt I would find something that specific...

Mark T.

"Pen" <pennospam34us@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<I5KdnVqG8viyYhHd4p2dnA@adelphia.com>...
> [...]

> (first diagram, item #15)
>
> To my surprise, the connector has 12, not 10 pins! So of course no
> standard cable will fit.
>

> Standard layout:
>
> o o o o
> o o o o o
>

> Dell layout:
>
> o o o o o
> o o o o o o
>

> I spoke to Dell who gave me a whole song and dance: secondary serial
> ports are no longer necessary (beside the point); they have never
> heard of such a cable (that's a lie); that port is probably there for
> show or diagnostics by their "qualified" personnel (bullshit).
>

> So it looks like I have to make my own cable. Would anyone happen to
> know the correct pinout for this hybrid port?
>
> Or better yet, know where I could find a ready-made cable? (not at

Hold your nose and call Dell spare parts:1-800-357-3355 . The SKU for that
part is 310-1675 according to their website.

The reason the system didn't come with this second serial port is because it
is a $9 add-on option (that apparently wasn't ordered at the time of
purchase).

Stew

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Sorry, I'm no help.

> Yes they do!
>
> I don't mind making the cable myself, but then I need a plastic piece
> (12-pin) that would fit the connector on the mobo, and the pinout
> naturally.
>
> Would you have this info?
>
> I guess I could start looking at second-hand PC parts sites, but I
> doubt I would find something that specific...
>
> Mark T.
>

> "Pen" <pennospam34us@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Dell does mention a "serial port adapter" for it here;
> > http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/opgx260/en/sm/cards.htm#1104768
> > Did they deny its existence?
> >
> > "Mr. X" <x9012590125@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > Problem with a Dell Optiplex GX260.
> > >
> > > I need to install a second serial port on this motherboard. On a
> > > normal system, I would plug a standard DB-9 ribbon cable on the
> > > adaptor. But not here.
> > >
> > > The connector is on the mobo but no cable was delivered with it.
> > >
> > > Ref:
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/opgx260/en/sm/sysbrd.htm#1111216
> > > (first diagram, item #15)
> > >
> > > To my surprise, the connector has 12, not 10 pins! So of course no
> > > standard cable will fit.
> > >

> > > Standard layout:
> > >
> > > o o o o
> > > o o o o o
> > >

> > > Dell layout:
> > >
> > > o o o o o
> > > o o o o o o
> > >

> > > I spoke to Dell who gave me a whole song and dance: secondary serial
> > > ports are no longer necessary (beside the point); they have never
> > > heard of such a cable (that's a lie); that port is probably there for
> > > show or diagnostics by their "qualified" personnel (bullshit).
> > >

> > > So it looks like I have to make my own cable. Would anyone happen to
> > > know the correct pinout for this hybrid port?
> > >
> > > Or better yet, know where I could find a ready-made cable? (not at
> > > Dell, obviously!)
> > >

> > > Thanks
> > > ===
> > > Mark T.

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Stew,

Ha thanks! I was looking for something like that.

I don't know how easy (or difficult) it will be to find this part in
Europe but I'll certainly give it a try.

It's been my experience with copmanies like Dell and Compaq that it's
not because a given part is available in one part of the world, that
it is everywhere else. (sigh)

Mark T.

> Stew,
>
> Ha thanks! I was looking for something like that.
>
> I don't know how easy (or difficult) it will be to find this part in
> Europe but I'll certainly give it a try.
>
> It's been my experience with copmanies like Dell and Compaq that it's
> not because a given part is available in one part of the world, that
> it is everywhere else. (sigh)
>

> Mark T.

<snip>

Try this number then:

Dell (UK) is 0870 907 4000, ask for Part Sales, option 4. Let's hope the
SKU is the same, as I don't have the 5 digit (dell) part number handy. The
part is referred to on their website as "second serial port adapter". This
SKU will work in the tower, the small desktop, but will NOT ( I don't think)
work in the slimline GX260 (if there is such an animal, the card brackets
are low profile whereas this part is full bracket length).

Good luck

Stew

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Try Dell part number 5P418. Their description is "SERIAL Port Adapter,
Assembly, Bracket/Connector, Half Height"..