Tungsten E - impressions

November 3, 2004 7:59:37 PM

Hi,
Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten E, and
I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it. For a
long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price to myself.
This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I enjoy
it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would stuff all
kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.

How do others like their E?

JD

More about : tungsten impressions

Anonymous
November 4, 2004 4:10:31 AM

"JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
> Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten E, and
>I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it. For a
>long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price to myself.
> This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
>
>Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I enjoy
>it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would stuff all
>kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
>
>How do others like their E?

Mine was great, up until the screen cracked.

I've upgraded to the C and am much happier.

--
"... a political candidate who jumps to conclusions without knowing the
facts is not a person you want as your Commander in Chief".

In article <418962d9$1@news.qgraph.com>, "JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten E, and
> I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it. For a
> long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price to myself.
> This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I enjoy
> it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would stuff all
> kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
>
> How do others like their E?

Same reaction as yours. Great screen. Lots of memory for holding lots of apps.

Fast enough. Light and easy to carry.

I too have had none of the "problems" some claim.
November 4, 2004 5:17:41 AM

I like mine even better since I purchase and auxilary battery and don't have
to worry about my battery juice getting low.

"Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
> In article <418962d9$1@news.qgraph.com>, "JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten E,
and
> > I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it.
For a
> > long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price to
myself.
> > This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
> >
> > Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I
enjoy
> > it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would stuff all
> > kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
> >
> > How do others like their E?
>
> Same reaction as yours. Great screen. Lots of memory for holding lots of
apps.

> Fast enough. Light and easy to carry.
>
> I too have had none of the "problems" some claim.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 8:51:40 AM

wrote:

> Hi,
> Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten E, and
> I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it. For a
> long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price to myself.
> This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I enjoy
> it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would stuff all
> kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
>
> How do others like their E?

Love it. Has worked perfectly since the day I bought it over a year ago.

Price/performance ratio is exceptional.

-Doug
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 9:04:33 AM

"JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:418962d9$1@news.qgraph.com...
> Hi,
> Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten E,
and
> I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it. For
> long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price to
myself.
> This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I
enjoy
> it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would stuff all
> kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
>
> How do others like their E?

You'll take my T|E away when you pry it out of my cold, dead fingers!

Seriously, it's been a lifesaver. And a lot of fun. A good SD card backup
program (plus some computer experience coming into play), and I can
experiment with freeware, games, whatever. Then I remind myself why I really
have it, and settle down.

> JD

November 4, 2004 11:06:40 AM

"JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<418962d9$1@news.qgraph.com>...
> Hi,
> Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten E, and
> I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it. For a
> long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price to myself.
> This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I enjoy
> it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would stuff all
> kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
>
> How do others like their E?
>

> JD

Mine works great. Very happy with it. I carry it in my front pants
pocket with no protection other than a screen protector, and have for
about a year.

The alarm sound was not loud enough to hear in anything but a quiet
environment until I installed WavAlarms 1.4. I then created my own
alarm sound with more amplitude. The alarm sound is now plenty loud
enough in any situation I am in. It amazes me that Palm did not make
the 'loud' setting any louder than they did since the PDA hardware os
obviously capable of producing a much louder sound.

Greg
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 11:38:28 AM

"JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<418962d9$1@news.qgraph.com>...
> Hi,
> Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten E, and
> I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it. For a
> long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price to myself.
> This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I enjoy
> it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would stuff all
> kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
>
> How do others like their E?

I love mine, specially after getting rid of all the remnants of
pre-OS5 files, which were causing problems. SilkDimmer and LighSpeed
go a long way towards improving battery life.

You may want to join the Yahoo Tungsten E forum at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tungsten-E

Pavy
November 4, 2004 1:42:47 PM

"pavy" <pavymk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten E,
and
> > I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it.
For a
> > long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price to
myself.
> > This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
> >
> > Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I
enjoy
> > it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would stuff all
> > kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
> >
> > How do others like their E?
>
> I love mine, specially after getting rid of all the remnants of
> pre-OS5 files, which were causing problems. SilkDimmer and LighSpeed
> go a long way towards improving battery life.
>
> You may want to join the Yahoo Tungsten E forum at
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tungsten-E
>
> Pavy

What are SilkDimmer & LighSpeed, and where would I get them?

Thanks
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 3:47:08 PM

"JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<418962d9$1@news.qgraph.com>...
> Hi,
> Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten E, and
> I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it. For a
> long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price to myself.
> This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I enjoy
> it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would stuff all
> kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
>
> How do others like their E?

Very much. I just bought one myself - my elderly Clie SL10 has
finally given up the ghost. The color screen is really nice, it's
great to have so much memory, and there's even a built-in MP3 player.
Cool.

The only thing I hate, and cannot get used to, is the new version of
Graffiti. Bleah. I can't stand it. My text entry speed with the
original Graffiti was something like 30wpm - now it's something like
10, and not improving. Is there some kind of hack, or utility, or
whatever, to install the original Graffiti on OS 5?

LM
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 4:56:04 PM

> In article <418962d9$1@news.qgraph.com>, "JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten
> > E, and
> > I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it.
> > For a
> > long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price to
> > myself.
> > This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
> >
> > Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I
> > enjoy
> > it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would stuff
> > all
> > kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
> >
> > How do others like their E?

I have one and my experience is similar to yours. I've been very happy
with it except that after a year, the digitizer has become less reliable. I
also have a Treo 270 which I use as my cell phone, datebook, and
addressbook but for reading e-books, the TE's screen is unbeatable. Along
with AvantGo, MP3s and the occasional Kimona video all packed into a
convenient 4.8 ounce package, my TE is the most fun PDA I've ever owned.
--
Wonderfalls unaired episode quote of the day:

"So you've been lying to this entire family for twenty years?"
"I haven't been lying the whole time. There was that initial lie and I
never bothered to tell you the truth. I'm not proud of it."
— Jaye's parents in "Crime Dog"

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 7:52:23 PM

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:42:47 -0600, JD had this to say...

> "pavy" <pavymk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten E,
> and
> > > I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it.
> For a
> > > long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price to
> myself.
> > > This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
> > >
> > > Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I
> enjoy
> > > it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would stuff all
> > > kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
> > >
> > > How do others like their E?
> >
> > I love mine, specially after getting rid of all the remnants of
> > pre-OS5 files, which were causing problems. SilkDimmer and LighSpeed
> > go a long way towards improving battery life.
> >
> > You may want to join the Yahoo Tungsten E forum at
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tungsten-E
> >
> > Pavy
>

> What are SilkDimmer & LighSpeed, and where would I get them?
>
> Thanks

A Google search for 'palm silkdimmer' and 'palm lightspeed' finds them.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

nospam@nospam wrote:
> I like mine even better since I purchase and auxilary battery and don't have
> to worry about my battery juice getting low.

Could you please give me a link to such a battery kit (price, size,
features)?

Thanks.
November 5, 2004 12:07:03 AM

"JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<418962d9$1@news.qgraph.com>...
> Hi,
> Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten E, and
> I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it. For a
> long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price to myself.
> This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I enjoy
> it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would stuff all
> kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
>
> How do others like their E?
>

> JD

Yeah wait 2-4 months, and your Tungsten E screen will start buzzing.
The case will be all scratched up since the case scratches so easily.
(Like Zire 72's case) Of course your 90 day warranty will be up, so
there will be nothing you can do about it. But that's the point; they
get your money, and you get a really expensive paper weight.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 12:54:43 AM

On 4 Nov 2004 12:47:08 -0800, purple_bovine@yahoo.com (Larisa) wrote:

>10, and not improving. Is there some kind of hack, or utility, or
>whatever, to install the original Graffiti on OS 5?

There is a guide here:
http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5830
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 2:56:30 AM

This battery is excellent. I have gotten many ours of use out if it. It
uses 4 AA batteries.

http://www.thepocketsolution.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?...

http://www.thepocketsolution.com/store.mv?c=tunge

"Alexander Fischer" <alexx_fischer@gmx.net> wrote in message
> nospam@nospam wrote:
> > I like mine even better since I purchase and auxilary battery and don't
have
> > to worry about my battery juice getting low.
>
> Could you please give me a link to such a battery kit (price, size,
> features)?
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 4:15:37 AM

In article <Okzid.3588$6w6.3122@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>, "nospam@nospam"
<nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> This battery is excellent. I have gotten many ours of use out if it. It
> uses 4 AA batteries.

http://www.thepocketsolution.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?...

> http://www.thepocketsolution.com/store.mv?c=tunge

How does the battery pack work? Does it recharge the T|E batteries or does
it supply power when the internal battery has run dry?

Would rechargeable NiMH batteries work in the battery pack?
November 5, 2004 11:03:01 AM

JD wrote:

> Hi,
> Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten E, and
> I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it. For a
> long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price to myself.
> This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I enjoy
> it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would stuff all
> kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
>
> How do others like their E?
>

> JD

I replaced a Palm IIIx with it. I like it, except that I absolutely
loathe Grafitti 2. I had to buy add-on software for it. It may be me
(technoklutz), but sometimes the screen seems unresponsive to a tap.

Is it an improvement over the IIIx? Display is better, but that's about
all IMO.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 4:20:38 PM

"JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote in news:418962d9$1@news.qgraph.com:

> Hi,
> Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten
> E, and
> I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it.
> For a long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price
> to myself.
> This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I
> enjoy it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would
> stuff all kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
>
> How do others like their E?

I just got a used one about 2 weeks ago and it's great. A huge step up
from my Visor Deluxe.

BUT, it has the "screaming screen" problem. Not a big deal when wearing
headphones or there's noise about, but annoying if you're in a quiet place
trying to work on it. I know how to fix it, but I don't have a torx bit
small enough to get the cover off just yet. I can live with it but I'll
love it a lot more if I can get it to stop.

Mike
November 5, 2004 5:39:46 PM

"screaming screen" ?? I haven't noticed that. But then again, I haven't used
it for anything that I need ear phones for. hmmm, a use for my T|E that I'm
don't know about? :)

"Mike Webster" <junk@nospam.mikeandjudith.net> wrote in message
> "JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote in news:418962d9$1@news.qgraph.com:
>
> > Hi,
> > Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten
> > E, and
> > I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it.
> > For a long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price
> > to myself.
> > This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
> >
> > Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I
> > enjoy it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would
> > stuff all kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
> >
> > How do others like their E?
>
> I just got a used one about 2 weeks ago and it's great. A huge step up
> from my Visor Deluxe.
>
> BUT, it has the "screaming screen" problem. Not a big deal when wearing
> headphones or there's noise about, but annoying if you're in a quiet place
> trying to work on it. I know how to fix it, but I don't have a torx bit
> small enough to get the cover off just yet. I can live with it but I'll
> love it a lot more if I can get it to stop.
>
> Mike
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 11:49:06 PM

In article <Xns959891E8AC686DeadCthulhuliesdream@216.196.97.142>, Mike
Webster <junk@nospam.mikeandjudith.net> wrote:

> "JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote in news:418962d9$1@news.qgraph.com:
>
> > Hi,
> > Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten
> > E, and
> > I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it.
> > For a long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price
> > to myself.
> > This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
> >
> > Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I
> > enjoy it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would
> > stuff all kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
> >
> > How do others like their E?
>
> I just got a used one about 2 weeks ago and it's great. A huge step up
> from my Visor Deluxe.
>
> BUT, it has the "screaming screen" problem.

No, "it" doesn't. Several people have already posted that they don't have
a noisy screen problem. I don't, and I bought mine shortly after they
became available.

So, yours does have the problem and that may have been why someone was
reselling it ...
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 11:32:09 AM

> In article <Xns959891E8AC686DeadCthulhuliesdream@216.196.97.142>, Mike
> Webster <junk@nospam.mikeandjudith.net> wrote:
>
> > "JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote in news:418962d9$1@news.qgraph.com:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten
> > > E, and
> > > I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it.
> > > For a long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price
> > > to myself.
> > > This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
> > >
> > > Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I
> > > enjoy it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would
> > > stuff all kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
> > >
> > > How do others like their E?
> >
> > I just got a used one about 2 weeks ago and it's great. A huge step up
> > from my Visor Deluxe.
> >
> > BUT, it has the "screaming screen" problem.
>
> No, "it" doesn't. Several people have already posted that they don't have
> a noisy screen problem. I don't, and I bought mine shortly after they
> became available.
>
> So, yours does have the problem and that may have been why someone was
> reselling it ...

Either I didn't notice my screen noise for the first few weeks (my
environments are seldom "library quality quiet" when I'm using it), or it
developed later. But it's not enough of a problem for me to want to send it
for repair or look for a replacement.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 11:13:32 PM

guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote in news:guy-0511041249090001@
192.168.1.100:

> In article <Xns959891E8AC686DeadCthulhuliesdream@216.196.97.142>, Mike
> Webster <junk@nospam.mikeandjudith.net> wrote:
>
>> "JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote in news:418962d9$1@news.qgraph.com:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > Just thought I'd add my two cents. My wife bought me the Tungsten
>> > E, and
>> > I've been using it for nearly 2 months. And I have to say, I love it.
>> > For a long time, I've wanted a PDA but just couldn't justify the price
>> > to myself.
>> > This is cool. I didn't know you could store E-books on it. :)
>> >
>> > Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've had no problem with mine and I
>> > enjoy it a lot. I used to carry around a day/planner, which I would
>> > stuff all kinds of papers into, making it all the more bulky.
>> >
>> > How do others like their E?
>>
>> I just got a used one about 2 weeks ago and it's great. A huge step up
>> from my Visor Deluxe.
>>
>> BUT, it has the "screaming screen" problem.
>
> No, "it" doesn't.

Considering the fact that the antecedent to "it" in my statement was in
reference to the used one I got about 2 weeks ago ...

Yes, "it" does.

Mike
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 11:19:56 PM

"JD" <joeydba@yahoo.com> wrote in news:418be512$1@news.qgraph.com:

> "screaming screen" ?? I haven't noticed that. But then again, I
> haven't used it for anything that I need ear phones for. hmmm, a use
> for my T|E that I'm don't know about? :)

You'd know it if you had it. Some never get it, some are born with it and
others develop it over time. You might be able to hear the first inklings
of it if you hold it right up to your ear, it's a high-pitched whine. In
my case, it's audible at arm's length.

Mike
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 6:25:24 AM

In article <Xns959AD83E8914BDeadCthulhuliesdream@216.196.97.142>, Mike
Webster <junk@nospam.mikeandjudith.net> wrote:

> guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote in news:guy-0511041249090001@
> 192.168.1.100:
>
> > In article <Xns959891E8AC686DeadCthulhuliesdream@216.196.97.142>, Mike
> > Webster <junk@nospam.mikeandjudith.net> wrote:

> >> I just got a used one about 2 weeks ago and it's great. A huge step up
> >> from my Visor Deluxe.
> >>
> >> BUT, it has the "screaming screen" problem.
> >
> > No, "it" doesn't.
>
> Considering the fact that the antecedent to "it" in my statement was in
> reference to the used one I got about 2 weeks ago ...
>
> Yes, "it" does.
>
> Mike

Hmm, and I later wrote that it may be your personal device's problem but
not a general problem with Tungsten Es. You seem not to have included that
portion of my reply with yours.

Note that I put "it" in quotation marks. You probably thought I was quoting you.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 9:26:39 AM

> In article <Xns959AD83E8914BDeadCthulhuliesdream@216.196.97.142>, Mike
> Webster <junk@nospam.mikeandjudith.net> wrote:
>
> > guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote in news:guy-0511041249090001@
> > 192.168.1.100:

Tungsten

> > > No, "it" doesn't.
> >
> > Considering the fact that the antecedent to "it" in my statement was in
> > reference to the used one I got about 2 weeks ago ...
> >
> > Yes, "it" does.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Hmm, and I later wrote that it may be your personal device's problem but
> not a general problem with Tungsten Es. You seem not to have included that
> portion of my reply with yours.
>
> Note that I put "it" in quotation marks. You probably thought I was
quoting you.

"It" was an easy mistake to make.
!