File Storage Limits for OE6

Tags:
  • Windows XP
August 20, 2005 12:01:31 PM

I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003 Professional
Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not download
anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
can it be increased? How?
Thanks for the information.
Kevin

More about : file storage limits oe6

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:15:29 PM

If there is a size limit, I don't know what it is. I am now at 42.4 MB and
climbing.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003 Professional
>Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
>that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not download
>anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
>that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
>can it be increased? How?
> Thanks for the information.
> Kevin

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:24:16 PM

For Outlook, it's a good idea to "Frequently" copy the .Pst to some
backup location. Also, Office provides a tool ScanPst.Exe that is
used to examine the Personal folder file and fix any inconsistencies
found. ScanPST doesn't have an icon - you have to look for it.
As to size, I wouldn't drag around that much data. I'm sure over
time that Outlook has improved (I use Office XP). However, back
in my Corporate IT Drone days one of our biggest issues was all
the .PSTs crammed full of the Daily Dilbert and other really vital
company business mailings. I would probably export some of the
data to a secondary Personal Folder and include it in your profile.

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If there is a size limit, I don't know what it is. I am now at 42.4 MB and
> climbing.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
>>Professional Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I
>>get a message that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It
>>will not download anything further. If I go into to
>>Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see that that the Total size is listed
>>as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and can it be increased? How?
>> Thanks for the information.
>> Kevin

August 20, 2005 1:17:39 PM

There is no reason to increase the size limit.
You need to do some maintenance.
Do not let each folder get over 100 MG.
File, Work Offline, File, Folder, Compact All Folders.
Periodically remove old messages, then compact the folders.
I use a message rule to delete messages over 10 days old.
The rule has to be manually applied. I point to the server and then all
newsgroups under that server have the rule applied.
Compact after applying the rule.
--
Ron Sommer

"Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003 Professional
>Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
>that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not download
>anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
>that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
>can it be increased? How?
> Thanks for the information.
> Kevin

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:00:54 PM

The OP is talking about Oe not OL.

--
Peter

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:o uBIUIYpFHA.3004@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> For Outlook, it's a good idea to "Frequently" copy the .Pst to some
> backup location. Also, Office provides a tool ScanPst.Exe that is
> used to examine the Personal folder file and fix any inconsistencies
> found. ScanPST doesn't have an icon - you have to look for it.
> As to size, I wouldn't drag around that much data. I'm sure over
> time that Outlook has improved (I use Office XP). However, back
> in my Corporate IT Drone days one of our biggest issues was all
> the .PSTs crammed full of the Daily Dilbert and other really vital
> company business mailings. I would probably export some of the
> data to a secondary Personal Folder and include it in your profile.
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> If there is a size limit, I don't know what it is. I am now at 42.4 MB and
>> climbing.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
>>>Professional Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I
>>>get a message that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It
>>>will not download anything further. If I go into to
>>>Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see that that the Total size is listed
>>>as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and can it be increased? How?
>>> Thanks for the information.
>>> Kevin

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:02:48 PM

The OP is talking about Oe not OL.

--
Peter

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:o uBIUIYpFHA.3004@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> For Outlook, it's a good idea to "Frequently" copy the .Pst to some
> backup location. Also, Office provides a tool ScanPst.Exe that is
> used to examine the Personal folder file and fix any inconsistencies
> found. ScanPST doesn't have an icon - you have to look for it.
> As to size, I wouldn't drag around that much data. I'm sure over
> time that Outlook has improved (I use Office XP). However, back
> in my Corporate IT Drone days one of our biggest issues was all
> the .PSTs crammed full of the Daily Dilbert and other really vital
> company business mailings. I would probably export some of the
> data to a secondary Personal Folder and include it in your profile.
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message
>> If there is a size limit, I don't know what it is. I am now at 42.4 MB
>> and
>> climbing.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
>>>Professional Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I
>>>get a message that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It
>>>will not download anything further. If I go into to
>>>Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see that that the Total size is
>>>listed
>>>as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and can it be increased? How?
>>> Thanks for the information.
>>> Kevin

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:05:02 PM

My Bad. Sorry my error . Not awake yet :o ))

--
Peter

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23%23JfR%23YpFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
The OP is talking about Oe not OL.

--
Peter

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:o uBIUIYpFHA.3004@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> For Outlook, it's a good idea to "Frequently" copy the .Pst to some
> backup location. Also, Office provides a tool ScanPst.Exe that is
> used to examine the Personal folder file and fix any inconsistencies
> found. ScanPST doesn't have an icon - you have to look for it.
> As to size, I wouldn't drag around that much data. I'm sure over
> time that Outlook has improved (I use Office XP). However, back
> in my Corporate IT Drone days one of our biggest issues was all
> the .PSTs crammed full of the Daily Dilbert and other really vital
> company business mailings. I would probably export some of the
> data to a secondary Personal Folder and include it in your profile.
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> If there is a size limit, I don't know what it is. I am now at 42.4 MB and
>> climbing.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
>>>Professional Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I
>>>get a message that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It
>>>will not download anything further. If I go into to
>>>Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see that that the Total size is listed
>>>as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and can it be increased? How?
>>> Thanks for the information.
>>> Kevin

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:10:32 PM

No problem, It's easy to mistake/mix-up Outlook & Outlook
Express. Correcting a Correction is just newsgroup "Fair Play".

My Bad. Sorry my error . Not awake yet :o ))

--
Peter

The OP is talking about Oe not OL.

--
Peter

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:o uBIUIYpFHA.3004@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> For Outlook, it's a good idea to "Frequently" copy the .Pst to some
> backup location. Also, Office provides a tool ScanPst.Exe that is
> used to examine the Personal folder file and fix any inconsistencies
> found. ScanPST doesn't have an icon - you have to look for it.
> As to size, I wouldn't drag around that much data. I'm sure over
> time that Outlook has improved (I use Office XP). However, back
> in my Corporate IT Drone days one of our biggest issues was all
> the .PSTs crammed full of the Daily Dilbert and other really vital
> company business mailings. I would probably export some of the
> data to a secondary Personal Folder and include it in your profile.
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message
>> If there is a size limit, I don't know what it is. I am now at 42.4 MB
>> and
>> climbing.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
>>>Professional Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I
>>>get a message that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It
>>>will not download anything further. If I go into to
>>>Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see that that the Total size is
>>>listed
>>>as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and can it be increased? How?
>>> Thanks for the information.
>>> Kevin

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:32:15 PM

This is mostly from my participation in the news groups. (-:

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:o uBIUIYpFHA.3004@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> For Outlook, it's a good idea to "Frequently" copy the .Pst to some
> backup location. Also, Office provides a tool ScanPst.Exe that is
> used to examine the Personal folder file and fix any inconsistencies
> found. ScanPST doesn't have an icon - you have to look for it.
> As to size, I wouldn't drag around that much data. I'm sure over
> time that Outlook has improved (I use Office XP). However, back
> in my Corporate IT Drone days one of our biggest issues was all
> the .PSTs crammed full of the Daily Dilbert and other really vital
> company business mailings. I would probably export some of the
> data to a secondary Personal Folder and include it in your profile.
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:eyclZDYpFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> If there is a size limit, I don't know what it is. I am now at 42.4 MB
>> and climbing.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
>>>Professional Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I
>>>get a message that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It
>>>will not download anything further. If I go into to
>>>Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see that that the Total size is
>>>listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and can it be increased? How?
>>> Thanks for the information.
>>> Kevin

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:57:17 PM

"Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003 Professional
>Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
>that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not download
>anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
>that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
>can it be increased? How?
> Thanks for the information.
> Kevin

You may want to post in an Office Outlook newsgroup.

As I recall, the maximum size of an Outlook pst file is 2Gb in Outlook 2003.
In Outlook 2003, the pst file can be compacted. To do so, go to File, Data
File Management, select the file you want to compact, click on Settings.

The Microsoft Knowledge base has a number of articles on pst size including
this one:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832925

Don
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 5:53:34 PM

It is not easy for me because I always spot it and I know the difference. With the exception when I sleep only 2 hrs. I mistake my wife also for ????????????? at these times. lol

--
Peter

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:%233QCsDZpFHA.2952@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> No problem, It's easy to mistake/mix-up Outlook & Outlook
> Express. Correcting a Correction is just newsgroup "Fair Play".
>
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My Bad. Sorry my error . Not awake yet :o ))
>
> --
> Peter

> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The OP is talking about Oe not OL.
>
> --
> Peter

> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:o uBIUIYpFHA.3004@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> For Outlook, it's a good idea to "Frequently" copy the .Pst to some
>> backup location. Also, Office provides a tool ScanPst.Exe that is
>> used to examine the Personal folder file and fix any inconsistencies
>> found. ScanPST doesn't have an icon - you have to look for it.
>> As to size, I wouldn't drag around that much data. I'm sure over
>> time that Outlook has improved (I use Office XP). However, back
>> in my Corporate IT Drone days one of our biggest issues was all
>> the .PSTs crammed full of the Daily Dilbert and other really vital
>> company business mailings. I would probably export some of the
>> data to a secondary Personal Folder and include it in your profile.
>>
>> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
>> message
>>> If there is a size limit, I don't know what it is. I am now at 42.4 MB
>>> and
>>> climbing.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> Quote from: George Ankner
>>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>>
>>> "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 8:13:47 PM

There is a 2 gb size limit in Outlook. Once you reach that limit it will
crash. You have several options here
http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm

"Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003 Professional
>Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
>that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not download
>anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
>that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
>can it be increased? How?
> Thanks for the information.
> Kevin

August 20, 2005 10:46:54 PM

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote

> So I think
> he's describing a Newsgroup.dbx that is 1.99 Gigabytes in size.
> However, I've not seen a .dbx ever reach anything near that
> total size.

Maybe it's a binary newsgroup.

Alias
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 2:47:14 AM

Alias,
I am downloading a binary group to get a beta of Vista.
Kevin

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
news:o HD6GbapFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote
>
>> So I think
>> he's describing a Newsgroup.dbx that is 1.99 Gigabytes in size.
>> However, I've not seen a .dbx ever reach anything near that
>> total size.
>
> Maybe it's a binary newsgroup.
>
> Alias

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:02:03 AM

Ron,
Specifically I am in the alt.bionaries.warez.ibm-pc.ms-beta newsgroup to
download a trial copy of Vista Beta 1. This is multipart post with well over
1000 ~300kb pieces that must be combined and decoded. It is posted as 68
parts with most of the parts comprising 149 files that must be combined. As
I download I make partial compilations of 10 parts and save these to My
Documents for later decoding by yEnc32 decoder. Because of the enormous size
of this total file I do have to go into maintenance to delete downloaded
message bodies to make room in the dbx file to continue to download this
program.
I am unclear about your suggestion to create folders unless you are
suggesting using different terms what I am already doing with these posts
using combine and decode and then 'save as' into another file location
altogether different that in OE6's storage folder.
Thanks,
Kevin
"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
> There is no reason to increase the size limit.
> You need to do some maintenance.
> Do not let each folder get over 100 MG.
> File, Work Offline, File, Folder, Compact All Folders.
> Periodically remove old messages, then compact the folders.
> I use a message rule to delete messages over 10 days old.
> The rule has to be manually applied. I point to the server and then all
> newsgroups under that server have the rule applied.
> Compact after applying the rule.
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
>>Professional Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I
>>get a message that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It
>>will not download anything further. If I go into to
>>Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see that that the Total size is listed
>>as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and can it be increased? How?
>> Thanks for the information.
>> Kevin

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:04:31 AM

Ron,
Thanks for your suggestion. After I posted to this group I did find one on
Outlook Express that I posted to. Surprisingly this group had more answers
and some better advise. If you reread my post my issue is with OE6 in the
newsgroups as opposed to Outlook for email.
Regards,
Kevin

"Don MI <>" <d7macm8@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
>>Professional Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I
>>get a message that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It
>>will not download anything further. If I go into to
>>Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see that that the Total size is listed
>>as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and can it be increased? How?
>> Thanks for the information.
>> Kevin
>>

> You may want to post in an Office Outlook newsgroup.
>
> As I recall, the maximum size of an Outlook pst file is 2Gb in Outlook
> 2003. In Outlook 2003, the pst file can be compacted. To do so, go to
> File, Data File Management, select the file you want to compact, click on
> Settings.
>
> The Microsoft Knowledge base has a number of articles on pst size
> including this one:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832925
>

> Don

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:05:40 AM

Thank you for the information about the 2gig limit for Outlook files.
Kevin

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> There is a 2 gb size limit in Outlook. Once you reach that limit it will
> crash. You have several options here
> http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm

> "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
>>Professional Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I
>>get a message that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It
>>will not download anything further. If I go into to
>>Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see that that the Total size is listed
>>as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and can it be increased? How?
>> Thanks for the information.
>> Kevin

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:47:17 AM

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:01:31 -0400, "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote:

>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003 Professional
>Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
>that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not download
>anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
>that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
>can it be increased? How?

FAT32 has a limit of 2G or 4G per file, and it looks like you ran into
that. This hits Outlook harder than OE, given that while OE bloats
each mailbox with hidden attachments, Outlook does all that plus
stores all the mailboxes (and more besides) in one huge .PST

It's probably possible to come up with a worse storage model, but if
so, I hope I never have to look at it.

>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
I'm *not* indignant!
August 21, 2005 3:47:18 AM

Good catch. His hard drive may be formatted as fat16 from Win95/98 days.

--

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:l29fg1lpr6300r68ja2j7b8ho1n5u1262l@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:01:31 -0400, "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
>>Professional
>>Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
>>that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not download
>>anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
>>that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
>>can it be increased? How?
>
> FAT32 has a limit of 2G or 4G per file, and it looks like you ran into
> that. This hits Outlook harder than OE, given that while OE bloats
> each mailbox with hidden attachments, Outlook does all that plus
> stores all the mailboxes (and more besides) in one huge .PST
>
> It's probably possible to come up with a worse storage model, but if
> so, I hope I never have to look at it.
>

>>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
> I'm *not* indignant!
>>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:47:18 AM

I am using a computer with Windows XP Media on it and the file system is
NTFS not FAT or FAT 32. I do appreciate your response.
Kevin

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:l29fg1lpr6300r68ja2j7b8ho1n5u1262l@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:01:31 -0400, "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
>>Professional
>>Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
>>that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not download
>>anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
>>that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
>>can it be increased? How?
>
> FAT32 has a limit of 2G or 4G per file, and it looks like you ran into
> that. This hits Outlook harder than OE, given that while OE bloats
> each mailbox with hidden attachments, Outlook does all that plus
> stores all the mailboxes (and more besides) in one huge .PST
>
> It's probably possible to come up with a worse storage model, but if
> so, I hope I never have to look at it.
>

>>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
> I'm *not* indignant!
>>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:47:19 AM

Richard,
The computer is a new whitebox with Windows XP Media Edition and is
formatted in NTFS with a 250 gig HDD. I dumped FAT in 1998 when I moved from
Win95 to WinNT4 and started using NTFS.
Regards,
Kevin
"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 1jFmRepFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Good catch. His hard drive may be formatted as fat16 from Win95/98 days.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:l29fg1lpr6300r68ja2j7b8ho1n5u1262l@4ax.com...
>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:01:31 -0400, "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
>>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
>>>Professional
>>>Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
>>>that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not
>>>download
>>>anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
>>>that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
>>>can it be increased? How?
>>
>> FAT32 has a limit of 2G or 4G per file, and it looks like you ran into
>> that. This hits Outlook harder than OE, given that while OE bloats
>> each mailbox with hidden attachments, Outlook does all that plus
>> stores all the mailboxes (and more besides) in one huge .PST
>>
>> It's probably possible to come up with a worse storage model, but if
>> so, I hope I never have to look at it.
>>

>>>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
>> I'm *not* indignant!
>>>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 5:04:16 AM

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:08:57 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"

>Good catch. His hard drive may be formatted as fat16 from Win95/98 days.

Ah, with FAT16, the problem would not arise - the whole *volume* can't
be over 2G in Win9x, so there's no possibility of creating a single
file over 2G under such circumstances.

FAT32's got no upper limit blues that apply in 2005 when it comes to
volume size, but a single file (such as a .PST) can't be other 2G or
4G. I'm fudging that because I see different reports, and also I
suspect that some apps may get different mileage (e.g. unsigned
addressing may be OK to 4G but signed addressing only OK to 2G)

Another post mentioned an internal Outlook issue that limits .PST to
2G, irrespective of whether it's on FAT32 or NTFS.

>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 5:04:17 AM

Gee. I'm forgetting about Win98 already. Out of sight - out of mind. (-:

--

message news:tr1ig11km4pehou32orfr13ogl83a72sjm@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:08:57 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"
>
>>Good catch. His hard drive may be formatted as fat16 from Win95/98 days.
>
> Ah, with FAT16, the problem would not arise - the whole *volume* can't
> be over 2G in Win9x, so there's no possibility of creating a single
> file over 2G under such circumstances.
>
> FAT32's got no upper limit blues that apply in 2005 when it comes to
> volume size, but a single file (such as a .PST) can't be other 2G or
> 4G. I'm fudging that because I see different reports, and also I
> suspect that some apps may get different mileage (e.g. unsigned
> addressing may be OK to 4G but signed addressing only OK to 2G)
>
> Another post mentioned an internal Outlook issue that limits .PST to
> 2G, irrespective of whether it's on FAT32 or NTFS.
>

>>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
> The most accurate diagnostic instrument
> in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
>>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:28:03 PM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 01:04:16 +0200, "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)"
>On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:08:57 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"

>>Good catch. His hard drive may be formatted as fat16 from Win95/98 days.

>Ah, with FAT16, the problem would not arise - the whole *volume* can't
>be over 2G in Win9x, so there's no possibility of creating a single
>file over 2G under such circumstances.

Cue sick joke...

Prisoner: "Aargh! My legs! I can't feel my legs!!"
Guard: ' Of course not, we have cut off your hands '

....or, the Scientific Method in action...

Test Subject: Standard metric grasshopper
- train grasshopper to hop when commanded
- hops 986 times out of 1000 commands, OK
- cut off front legs
- still hops on command, 83 times in 100, OK
- cut off middle legs
- still hops on command, 67 times in 100, OK
- cut off rear legs
- no longer hops on command, 100 times in 100
Conclusion: Grasshopper's ears are located in its back legs

!