File Storage Limits for OE6

I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003 Professional
Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not download
anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
can it be increased? How?
Thanks for the information.
Kevin
23 answers Last reply
More about file storage limits

    If there is a size limit, I don't know what it is. I am now at 42.4 MB and
    climbing.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
    >newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003 Professional
    >Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
    >that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not download
    >anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
    >that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
    >can it be increased? How?
    > Thanks for the information.
    > Kevin

    For Outlook, it's a good idea to "Frequently" copy the .Pst to some
    backup location. Also, Office provides a tool ScanPst.Exe that is
    used to examine the Personal folder file and fix any inconsistencies
    found. ScanPST doesn't have an icon - you have to look for it.
    As to size, I wouldn't drag around that much data. I'm sure over
    time that Outlook has improved (I use Office XP). However, back
    in my Corporate IT Drone days one of our biggest issues was all
    the .PSTs crammed full of the Daily Dilbert and other really vital
    company business mailings. I would probably export some of the
    data to a secondary Personal Folder and include it in your profile.

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If there is a size limit, I don't know what it is. I am now at 42.4 MB and
    > climbing.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    >
    > "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
    >>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
    >>Professional Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I
    >>get a message that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It
    >>will not download anything further. If I go into to
    >>Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see that that the Total size is listed
    >>as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and can it be increased? How?
    >> Thanks for the information.
    >> Kevin

    There is no reason to increase the size limit.
    You need to do some maintenance.
    Do not let each folder get over 100 MG.
    File, Work Offline, File, Folder, Compact All Folders.
    Periodically remove old messages, then compact the folders.
    I use a message rule to delete messages over 10 days old.
    The rule has to be manually applied. I point to the server and then all
    newsgroups under that server have the rule applied.
    Compact after applying the rule.
    --
    Ron Sommer

    "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
    >newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003 Professional
    >Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
    >that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not download
    >anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
    >that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
    >can it be increased? How?
    > Thanks for the information.
    > Kevin

    The OP is talking about Oe not OL.

    --
    Peter

    The OP is talking about Oe not OL.

    --
    Peter

    "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > For Outlook, it's a good idea to "Frequently" copy the .Pst to some
    > backup location. Also, Office provides a tool ScanPst.Exe that is
    > used to examine the Personal folder file and fix any inconsistencies
    > found. ScanPST doesn't have an icon - you have to look for it.
    > As to size, I wouldn't drag around that much data. I'm sure over
    > time that Outlook has improved (I use Office XP). However, back
    > in my Corporate IT Drone days one of our biggest issues was all
    > the .PSTs crammed full of the Daily Dilbert and other really vital
    > company business mailings. I would probably export some of the
    > data to a secondary Personal Folder and include it in your profile.
    >
    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message
    >> If there is a size limit, I don't know what it is. I am now at 42.4 MB
    >> and
    >> climbing.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
    >>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
    >>>Professional Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I
    >>>get a message that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It
    >>>will not download anything further. If I go into to
    >>>Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see that that the Total size is
    >>>listed
    >>>as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and can it be increased? How?
    >>> Thanks for the information.
    >>> Kevin

    My Bad. Sorry my error . Not awake yet :o))

    --
    Peter

    "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23%23JfR%23YpFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    The OP is talking about Oe not OL.

    --
    Peter

    "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:OuBIUIYpFHA.3004@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > For Outlook, it's a good idea to "Frequently" copy the .Pst to some
    > backup location. Also, Office provides a tool ScanPst.Exe that is
    > used to examine the Personal folder file and fix any inconsistencies
    > found. ScanPST doesn't have an icon - you have to look for it.
    > As to size, I wouldn't drag around that much data. I'm sure over
    > time that Outlook has improved (I use Office XP). However, back
    > in my Corporate IT Drone days one of our biggest issues was all
    > the .PSTs crammed full of the Daily Dilbert and other really vital
    > company business mailings. I would probably export some of the
    > data to a secondary Personal Folder and include it in your profile.
    >
    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> If there is a size limit, I don't know what it is. I am now at 42.4 MB and
    >> climbing.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
    >>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
    >>>Professional Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I
    >>>get a message that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It
    >>>will not download anything further. If I go into to
    >>>Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see that that the Total size is listed
    >>>as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and can it be increased? How?
    >>> Thanks for the information.
    >>> Kevin

    No problem, It's easy to mistake/mix-up Outlook & Outlook
    Express. Correcting a Correction is just newsgroup "Fair Play".

    My Bad. Sorry my error . Not awake yet :o))

    --
    Peter

    The OP is talking about Oe not OL.

    --
    Peter

    "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > For Outlook, it's a good idea to "Frequently" copy the .Pst to some
    > backup location. Also, Office provides a tool ScanPst.Exe that is
    > used to examine the Personal folder file and fix any inconsistencies
    > found. ScanPST doesn't have an icon - you have to look for it.
    > As to size, I wouldn't drag around that much data. I'm sure over
    > time that Outlook has improved (I use Office XP). However, back
    > in my Corporate IT Drone days one of our biggest issues was all
    > the .PSTs crammed full of the Daily Dilbert and other really vital
    > company business mailings. I would probably export some of the
    > data to a secondary Personal Folder and include it in your profile.
    >
    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message
    >> If there is a size limit, I don't know what it is. I am now at 42.4 MB
    >> and
    >> climbing.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
    >>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
    >>>Professional Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I
    >>>get a message that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It
    >>>will not download anything further. If I go into to
    >>>Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see that that the Total size is
    >>>listed
    >>>as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and can it be increased? How?
    >>> Thanks for the information.
    >>> Kevin

    This is mostly from my participation in the news groups. (-:

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > For Outlook, it's a good idea to "Frequently" copy the .Pst to some
    > backup location. Also, Office provides a tool ScanPst.Exe that is
    > used to examine the Personal folder file and fix any inconsistencies
    > found. ScanPST doesn't have an icon - you have to look for it.
    > As to size, I wouldn't drag around that much data. I'm sure over
    > time that Outlook has improved (I use Office XP). However, back
    > in my Corporate IT Drone days one of our biggest issues was all
    > the .PSTs crammed full of the Daily Dilbert and other really vital
    > company business mailings. I would probably export some of the
    > data to a secondary Personal Folder and include it in your profile.
    >
    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:eyclZDYpFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> If there is a size limit, I don't know what it is. I am now at 42.4 MB
    >> and climbing.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
    >>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
    >>>Professional Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I
    >>>get a message that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It
    >>>will not download anything further. If I go into to
    >>>Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see that that the Total size is
    >>>listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and can it be increased? How?
    >>> Thanks for the information.
    >>> Kevin

    "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
    >newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003 Professional
    >Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
    >that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not download
    >anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
    >that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
    >can it be increased? How?
    > Thanks for the information.
    > Kevin

    You may want to post in an Office Outlook newsgroup.

    As I recall, the maximum size of an Outlook pst file is 2Gb in Outlook 2003.
    In Outlook 2003, the pst file can be compacted. To do so, go to File, Data
    File Management, select the file you want to compact, click on Settings.

    The Microsoft Knowledge base has a number of articles on pst size including
    this one:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832925

    Don

    It is not easy for me because I always spot it and I know the difference. With the exception when I sleep only 2 hrs. I mistake my wife also for ????????????? at these times. lol

    --
    Peter

    "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:%233QCsDZpFHA.2952@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > No problem, It's easy to mistake/mix-up Outlook & Outlook
    > Express. Correcting a Correction is just newsgroup "Fair Play".
    >
    > "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My Bad. Sorry my error . Not awake yet :o))
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    > "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The OP is talking about Oe not OL.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    > "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> For Outlook, it's a good idea to "Frequently" copy the .Pst to some
    >> backup location. Also, Office provides a tool ScanPst.Exe that is
    >> used to examine the Personal folder file and fix any inconsistencies
    >> found. ScanPST doesn't have an icon - you have to look for it.
    >> As to size, I wouldn't drag around that much data. I'm sure over
    >> time that Outlook has improved (I use Office XP). However, back
    >> in my Corporate IT Drone days one of our biggest issues was all
    >> the .PSTs crammed full of the Daily Dilbert and other really vital
    >> company business mailings. I would probably export some of the
    >> data to a secondary Personal Folder and include it in your profile.
    >>
    >> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >>> If there is a size limit, I don't know what it is. I am now at 42.4 MB
    >>> and
    >>> climbing.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Richard Urban
    >>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> Quote from: George Ankner
    >>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>>
    >>> "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message

    There is a 2 gb size limit in Outlook. Once you reach that limit it will
    crash. You have several options here
    http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm

    "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
    >newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003 Professional
    >Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
    >that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not download
    >anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
    >that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
    >can it be increased? How?
    > Thanks for the information.
    > Kevin

    "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote

    > So I think
    > he's describing a Newsgroup.dbx that is 1.99 Gigabytes in size.
    > However, I've not seen a .dbx ever reach anything near that
    > total size.

    Maybe it's a binary newsgroup.

    Alias

    Alias,
    I am downloading a binary group to get a beta of Vista.
    Kevin

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

    > "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote
    >
    >> So I think
    >> he's describing a Newsgroup.dbx that is 1.99 Gigabytes in size.
    >> However, I've not seen a .dbx ever reach anything near that
    >> total size.
    >
    > Maybe it's a binary newsgroup.
    >
    > Alias

    Ron,
    Specifically I am in the alt.bionaries.warez.ibm-pc.ms-beta newsgroup to
    download a trial copy of Vista Beta 1. This is multipart post with well over
    1000 ~300kb pieces that must be combined and decoded. It is posted as 68
    parts with most of the parts comprising 149 files that must be combined. As
    I download I make partial compilations of 10 parts and save these to My
    Documents for later decoding by yEnc32 decoder. Because of the enormous size
    of this total file I do have to go into maintenance to delete downloaded
    message bodies to make room in the dbx file to continue to download this
    program.
    I am unclear about your suggestion to create folders unless you are
    suggesting using different terms what I am already doing with these posts
    using combine and decode and then 'save as' into another file location
    altogether different that in OE6's storage folder.
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
    > There is no reason to increase the size limit.
    > You need to do some maintenance.
    > Do not let each folder get over 100 MG.
    > File, Work Offline, File, Folder, Compact All Folders.
    > Periodically remove old messages, then compact the folders.
    > I use a message rule to delete messages over 10 days old.
    > The rule has to be manually applied. I point to the server and then all
    > newsgroups under that server have the rule applied.
    > Compact after applying the rule.
    > --
    > Ron Sommer
    >
    > "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
    >>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
    >>Professional Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I
    >>get a message that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It
    >>will not download anything further. If I go into to
    >>Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see that that the Total size is listed
    >>as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and can it be increased? How?
    >> Thanks for the information.
    >> Kevin

    Ron,
    Thanks for your suggestion. After I posted to this group I did find one on
    Outlook Express that I posted to. Surprisingly this group had more answers
    and some better advise. If you reread my post my issue is with OE6 in the
    newsgroups as opposed to Outlook for email.
    Regards,
    Kevin

    "Don MI <>" <d7macm8@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
    >>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
    >>Professional Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I
    >>get a message that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It
    >>will not download anything further. If I go into to
    >>Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see that that the Total size is listed
    >>as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and can it be increased? How?
    >> Thanks for the information.
    >> Kevin
    >>

    > You may want to post in an Office Outlook newsgroup.
    >
    > As I recall, the maximum size of an Outlook pst file is 2Gb in Outlook
    > 2003. In Outlook 2003, the pst file can be compacted. To do so, go to
    > File, Data File Management, select the file you want to compact, click on
    > Settings.
    >
    > The Microsoft Knowledge base has a number of articles on pst size
    > including this one:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832925
    >

    > Don

    Thank you for the information about the 2gig limit for Outlook files.
    Kevin

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:01:31 -0400, "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote:

    >I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
    >newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003 Professional
    >Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
    >that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not download
    >anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
    >that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
    >can it be increased? How?

    FAT32 has a limit of 2G or 4G per file, and it looks like you ran into
    that. This hits Outlook harder than OE, given that while OE bloats
    each mailbox with hidden attachments, Outlook does all that plus
    stores all the mailboxes (and more besides) in one huge .PST

    It's probably possible to come up with a worse storage model, but if
    so, I hope I never have to look at it.

    >--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
    I'm *not* indignant!

    Good catch. His hard drive may be formatted as fat16 from Win95/98 days.

    --

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
    message news:l29fg1lpr6300r68ja2j7b8ho1n5u1262l@4ax.com...
    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:01:31 -0400, "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
    >>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
    >>Professional
    >>Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
    >>that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not download
    >>anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
    >>that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
    >>can it be increased? How?
    >
    > FAT32 has a limit of 2G or 4G per file, and it looks like you ran into
    > that. This hits Outlook harder than OE, given that while OE bloats
    > each mailbox with hidden attachments, Outlook does all that plus
    > stores all the mailboxes (and more besides) in one huge .PST
    >
    > It's probably possible to come up with a worse storage model, but if
    > so, I hope I never have to look at it.
    >

    >>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
    > I'm *not* indignant!
    >>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

    I am using a computer with Windows XP Media on it and the file system is
    NTFS not FAT or FAT 32. I do appreciate your response.
    Kevin

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
    message news:l29fg1lpr6300r68ja2j7b8ho1n5u1262l@4ax.com...
    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:01:31 -0400, "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
    >>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
    >>Professional
    >>Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
    >>that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not download
    >>anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
    >>that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
    >>can it be increased? How?
    >
    > FAT32 has a limit of 2G or 4G per file, and it looks like you ran into
    > that. This hits Outlook harder than OE, given that while OE bloats
    > each mailbox with hidden attachments, Outlook does all that plus
    > stores all the mailboxes (and more besides) in one huge .PST
    >
    > It's probably possible to come up with a worse storage model, but if
    > so, I hope I never have to look at it.
    >

    >>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
    > I'm *not* indignant!
    >>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

    Richard,
    The computer is a new whitebox with Windows XP Media Edition and is
    formatted in NTFS with a 250 gig HDD. I dumped FAT in 1998 when I moved from
    Win95 to WinNT4 and started using NTFS.
    Regards,
    Kevin
    > Good catch. His hard drive may be formatted as fat16 from Win95/98 days.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    >
    > "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
    > message news:l29fg1lpr6300r68ja2j7b8ho1n5u1262l@4ax.com...
    >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:01:31 -0400, "Kevin" <Kevin@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Pro and have been surfing the
    >>>newsgroups. I do not use OE6 for mail since I have Office 2003
    >>>Professional
    >>>Enterprise with Outlook for that function. After a while I get a message
    >>>that Outlook has encountered an error and must close. It will not
    >>>download
    >>>anything further. If I go into to Tools/Options/Maintenance/Cleanup I see
    >>>that that the Total size is listed as 1.99GB. Is this a default limit and
    >>>can it be increased? How?
    >>
    >> FAT32 has a limit of 2G or 4G per file, and it looks like you ran into
    >> that. This hits Outlook harder than OE, given that while OE bloats
    >> each mailbox with hidden attachments, Outlook does all that plus
    >> stores all the mailboxes (and more besides) in one huge .PST
    >>
    >> It's probably possible to come up with a worse storage model, but if
    >> so, I hope I never have to look at it.
    >>

    >>>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
    >> I'm *not* indignant!
    >>>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:08:57 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"

    >Good catch. His hard drive may be formatted as fat16 from Win95/98 days.

    Ah, with FAT16, the problem would not arise - the whole *volume* can't
    be over 2G in Win9x, so there's no possibility of creating a single
    file over 2G under such circumstances.

    FAT32's got no upper limit blues that apply in 2005 when it comes to
    volume size, but a single file (such as a .PST) can't be other 2G or
    4G. I'm fudging that because I see different reports, and also I
    suspect that some apps may get different mileage (e.g. unsigned
    addressing may be OK to 4G but signed addressing only OK to 2G)

    Another post mentioned an internal Outlook issue that limits .PST to
    2G, irrespective of whether it's on FAT32 or NTFS.

    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    The most accurate diagnostic instrument
    in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Gee. I'm forgetting about Win98 already. Out of sight - out of mind. (-:

    --

    message news:tr1ig11km4pehou32orfr13ogl83a72sjm@4ax.com...
    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:08:57 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"
    >
    >>Good catch. His hard drive may be formatted as fat16 from Win95/98 days.
    >
    > Ah, with FAT16, the problem would not arise - the whole *volume* can't
    > be over 2G in Win9x, so there's no possibility of creating a single
    > file over 2G under such circumstances.
    >
    > FAT32's got no upper limit blues that apply in 2005 when it comes to
    > volume size, but a single file (such as a .PST) can't be other 2G or
    > 4G. I'm fudging that because I see different reports, and also I
    > suspect that some apps may get different mileage (e.g. unsigned
    > addressing may be OK to 4G but signed addressing only OK to 2G)
    >
    > Another post mentioned an internal Outlook issue that limits .PST to
    > 2G, irrespective of whether it's on FAT32 or NTFS.
    >

    >>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    > The most accurate diagnostic instrument
    > in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
    >>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 01:04:16 +0200, "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)"
    >On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:08:57 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"

    >>Good catch. His hard drive may be formatted as fat16 from Win95/98 days.

    >Ah, with FAT16, the problem would not arise - the whole *volume* can't
    >be over 2G in Win9x, so there's no possibility of creating a single
    >file over 2G under such circumstances.

    Cue sick joke...

    Prisoner: "Aargh! My legs! I can't feel my legs!!"
    Guard: ' Of course not, we have cut off your hands '

    ....or, the Scientific Method in action...

    Test Subject: Standard metric grasshopper
    - train grasshopper to hop when commanded
    - hops 986 times out of 1000 commands, OK
    - cut off front legs
    - still hops on command, 83 times in 100, OK
    - cut off middle legs
    - still hops on command, 67 times in 100, OK
    - cut off rear legs
    - no longer hops on command, 100 times in 100
    Conclusion: Grasshopper's ears are located in its back legs

    The most accurate diagnostic instrument
    in medicine is the Retrospectoscope

Windows XP