will i damage it

mrjeejay99

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
Hi everyone, thanks for reading my post...
I'm using P4G8X Deluxe with Pentium 4 2.66Ghz 533Mhz and 2xCorsair PC3200C2.
I'm planning to upgrade to Pentium 4 2.8Ghz 800Mhz. So, i'll be using 800fsb.
Is it worth the money for the upgrade. Will the northbridge be very hot, since the m/board only comes with a heatsink on it.
Do i need a fan for the nortbridge, what is your suggestion for the fan.
Please tell me a good HSF too. I'm planning to get one for overclocking. Fast, cooling but silent.
I don't think there will be problem with my ram, since it can run in 400mhz.

Can i safely do this, or am i doing going into trouble.

I need your help...
Please help...

Thanks man...

If you love something set it free, if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it !!!

stealth_blade

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2003
well, you may have trouble with your RAM, corsair had some issues with the new P4's, but give it a shot

also, you might want to confirm that your motherboard will take an 800mhz FSB cpu, you may need a bios update

"Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion."
- Gen. (Ret) Norman Schwartzkopf

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Your board does not officially support 800FSB by the looks of it. In that case I wouldn't upgrade the cpu yet. 1st thing would be to find out more about the board and see if it supports FSB overclocking (being Asus I would expect it to) and you may be able to raise your FSB and chip speed somewhat already. Given the 2.66 is at 533Mhz it won't go to 800FSB (50% overclock) but I'd expect 600FSB should be possible if you are well cooled with decent RAM. I don't really know too much about the P4G8X though so you'll have to hunt around and see what it is capable of.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

mrjeejay99

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
thanks to you guys man.

I'm going to get the 2.8Ghz 800Mhz fsb in a week time.
Did anyone tried using a 800fsb pentium4 with P4G8X or other 533Mhz fsb motherboard.
Anyhow, i'll be using a aircooled system. May be Thermaltake Spark 7 HSF, or any suggestion for a good or the best HSF. My pc has 5 fans in it.

Please anyone, give me some ideas or suggestion.
I'm afraid i'll do somethin bad, man.

Please you experts out there, help me...

If you love something set it free, if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it !!!

MorphiNoMan

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2003
dont be afraid, tom's hardware did the tests for you !

<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030429/index.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030429/index.html</A>

everything seems to be working just fine with the p4g8x at 800 fsb, the mobo stays as cool as it can be, check for yourself

as for your HSF, the thermaltake spark 7 is a good choice IMHO, but i dont think you would even need it...