Would Have Made a Good Pin Theme?

Which of these semi-recent films would have made a good pin theme, as
well as a good marketing theme?

Rank them in order. Here's my order:

1) The Matrix trilogy
2) Spiderman (Raimi)
3) Fight Club
4) Shrek
5) Pirates of the Caribbean

The Matrix has so many possibilities for a deep set of rules, great
toys, sound and music, cool translite (fiberoptics behind the translite
to look like the matrix on computer screen?).

Spiderman would probably do better than the remaining three because of
its popularity (more sequels planned; could this theme still be a
possibility?).

I think Fight Club would do well in the bars. This film has a huge
cult following with 20- and 30-something guys. Project Mayhem
Multiball? This would be a great pin for sound bites: "I want you to
hit me as hard as you can," "The first rule of Fight Club is you don't
talk about Fight Club," "This is your life, and it's ending one minute
at a time," "I am Jack's smirking revenge."

Shrek is still a possibility too (more sequels on the way). Everyone
loves Shrek. This seems like it would be fun.

Pirates of the Caribbean also has sequels on the way. If done right,
this could be a lot of fun too.

While we're on the subject, who pays whom to do a film theme? Does the
pinball company pay for the license, or does the studio pay to have
their film promoted? For the sake of timing, wouldn't the studio need
to approach the pinball makers and say, "We have a blockbuster film
coming out in a year and a half, and we want to help promote it with a
pinball machine"? Or do film themes come out after the film is already
a success? I can't imagine Judge Dredd, Demolition Man, Johnny
Mneumonic, Flintstones, Congo, and Barb Wire were such great successes
to make them after the film had already left the theaters.

Mark

Who pays whom to do a film theme?

That depends on who owns the rights to the material - for instance,
Marvel owns Spiderman, so any license is theirs. Now if you use images
from the current movies, then Sony also gets into the equation,
depending on how they've agreed to split the film rights.

The short answer is, the pinball company will always be PAYING someone
for a license. NEVER the other way around.

And no, the studio would never come to a pinball company for promotion
- not even on their radar. Promotional tie-ins tend to be negotiated
with large media outlets and McDonalds, etc., that have the ability to
reach millions.

The business of licenses is one of taking a PROVEN marketing concept
and adapting it to a particular medium, like pinball or XBox game. The
whole point is to ride on the coattails of something that's already
proven to be a sure thing. Like much else in business, truly creative
and original ideas are risky - herd mentality is the norm.

Some titles, like Judge Dredd, were made because the belief was that
the title had an established market, and the strength of Stallone's
popularity. Lead time to go to market requires that licenses are
negotiated in advance of the film's release.

The first rule of Fight Club is, you do not talk about Fight Club.

The second rule of Fight Club is, you do not talk about Fight Club.

- L.

Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers!!! Make it kind of like the Feds and
Heads game that Playboy published. "Score 10 home-grown ounces..."

why always movies???

steve (cargpb10)

Good ideas, but any of them would have to be on location the same time the
movie is hot. Pinball companies pay a license fee to use movie themes. LTG
:)

<moviereviews4fun@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Which of these semi-recent films would have made a good pin theme, as
> well as a good marketing theme?
>
> Rank them in order. Here's my order:
>
> 1) The Matrix trilogy
> 2) Spiderman (Raimi)
> 3) Fight Club
> 4) Shrek
> 5) Pirates of the Caribbean
>
> The Matrix has so many possibilities for a deep set of rules, great
> toys, sound and music, cool translite (fiberoptics behind the translite
> to look like the matrix on computer screen?).
>
> Spiderman would probably do better than the remaining three because of
> its popularity (more sequels planned; could this theme still be a
> possibility?).
>
> I think Fight Club would do well in the bars. This film has a huge
> cult following with 20- and 30-something guys. Project Mayhem
> Multiball? This would be a great pin for sound bites: "I want you to
> hit me as hard as you can," "The first rule of Fight Club is you don't
> talk about Fight Club," "This is your life, and it's ending one minute
> at a time," "I am Jack's smirking revenge."
>
> Shrek is still a possibility too (more sequels on the way). Everyone
> loves Shrek. This seems like it would be fun.
>
> Pirates of the Caribbean also has sequels on the way. If done right,
> this could be a lot of fun too.
>
> While we're on the subject, who pays whom to do a film theme? Does the
> pinball company pay for the license, or does the studio pay to have
> their film promoted? For the sake of timing, wouldn't the studio need
> to approach the pinball makers and say, "We have a blockbuster film
> coming out in a year and a half, and we want to help promote it with a
> pinball machine"? Or do film themes come out after the film is already
> a success? I can't imagine Judge Dredd, Demolition Man, Johnny
> Mneumonic, Flintstones, Congo, and Barb Wire were such great successes
> to make them after the film had already left the theaters.
>
> Mark

shrek is too kiddy. maybe a redemtion pin like punchy the clown.

we need another pirate themed pinball.

matrix would have been cool, but no one cares about it now.

never saw fight club.

google for MANY opinions on themes that "should ahve been".
Riddick would make a good theme, but maybe too serious. also spongebob.
Dan

<moviereviews4fun@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Which of these semi-recent films would have made a good pin theme, as
> well as a good marketing theme?
>
> Rank them in order. Here's my order:
>
> 1) The Matrix trilogy
> 2) Spiderman (Raimi)
> 3) Fight Club
> 4) Shrek
> 5) Pirates of the Caribbean
>
> The Matrix has so many possibilities for a deep set of rules, great
> toys, sound and music, cool translite (fiberoptics behind the translite
> to look like the matrix on computer screen?).
>
> Spiderman would probably do better than the remaining three because of
> its popularity (more sequels planned; could this theme still be a
> possibility?).
>
> I think Fight Club would do well in the bars. This film has a huge
> cult following with 20- and 30-something guys. Project Mayhem
> Multiball? This would be a great pin for sound bites: "I want you to
> hit me as hard as you can," "The first rule of Fight Club is you don't
> talk about Fight Club," "This is your life, and it's ending one minute
> at a time," "I am Jack's smirking revenge."
>
> Shrek is still a possibility too (more sequels on the way). Everyone
> loves Shrek. This seems like it would be fun.
>
> Pirates of the Caribbean also has sequels on the way. If done right,
> this could be a lot of fun too.
>
> While we're on the subject, who pays whom to do a film theme? Does the
> pinball company pay for the license, or does the studio pay to have
> their film promoted? For the sake of timing, wouldn't the studio need
> to approach the pinball makers and say, "We have a blockbuster film
> coming out in a year and a half, and we want to help promote it with a
> pinball machine"? Or do film themes come out after the film is already
> a success? I can't imagine Judge Dredd, Demolition Man, Johnny
> Mneumonic, Flintstones, Congo, and Barb Wire were such great successes
> to make them after the film had already left the theaters.
>
> Mark

I think 'Steel Magnolias' would have made a sweet pin :)

Never saw fight club????

Man that is sad indeed. Great flick!

- Kevin

PinBotz -- Enhancements for Classic Pinball Machines
http://www.pinbotz.com

"DWGoett" <pinball@midamerica.net> wrote in message
> shrek is too kiddy. maybe a redemtion pin like punchy the clown.
>
> we need another pirate themed pinball.
>
> matrix would have been cool, but no one cares about it now.
>
> never saw fight club.
>
> google for MANY opinions on themes that "should ahve been".
> Riddick would make a good theme, but maybe too serious. also spongebob.
> Dan
>
> <moviereviews4fun@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Which of these semi-recent films would have made a good pin theme, as
>> well as a good marketing theme?
>>
>> Rank them in order. Here's my order:
>>
>> 1) The Matrix trilogy
>> 2) Spiderman (Raimi)
>> 3) Fight Club
>> 4) Shrek
>> 5) Pirates of the Caribbean
>>
>> The Matrix has so many possibilities for a deep set of rules, great
>> toys, sound and music, cool translite (fiberoptics behind the translite
>> to look like the matrix on computer screen?).
>>
>> Spiderman would probably do better than the remaining three because of
>> its popularity (more sequels planned; could this theme still be a
>> possibility?).
>>
>> I think Fight Club would do well in the bars. This film has a huge
>> cult following with 20- and 30-something guys. Project Mayhem
>> Multiball? This would be a great pin for sound bites: "I want you to
>> hit me as hard as you can," "The first rule of Fight Club is you don't
>> talk about Fight Club," "This is your life, and it's ending one minute
>> at a time," "I am Jack's smirking revenge."
>>
>> Shrek is still a possibility too (more sequels on the way). Everyone
>> loves Shrek. This seems like it would be fun.
>>
>> Pirates of the Caribbean also has sequels on the way. If done right,
>> this could be a lot of fun too.
>>
>> While we're on the subject, who pays whom to do a film theme? Does the
>> pinball company pay for the license, or does the studio pay to have
>> their film promoted? For the sake of timing, wouldn't the studio need
>> to approach the pinball makers and say, "We have a blockbuster film
>> coming out in a year and a half, and we want to help promote it with a
>> pinball machine"? Or do film themes come out after the film is already
>> a success? I can't imagine Judge Dredd, Demolition Man, Johnny
>> Mneumonic, Flintstones, Congo, and Barb Wire were such great successes
>> to make them after the film had already left the theaters.
>>
>> Mark

I realize it's too late for Fight Club and The Matrix, but I think the
pinball manufacturers missed a big opportunity there.

I don't think it's too late for Spiderman or Pirates. They both have
sequels planned. Maybe Williams or Stern is already making plans
(wishful thinking?).

Mark

Williams no longer makes pinball machines. Sorry to break it to ya'.

Pirates of the Caribbean would get my vote as the one with the most
potential. Something has to draw people to the pinball machine in the
first place so I think the potential for great artwork is of high
importance. Also the theme could still be appealing to people in ten or
more years time even if you have never seen the movie. It could also
have some great playfield toys and modes. Personally I think a "Finding
Nemo" pinny would be a good concept that would appeal to many people.
Varied and colourful artwork to play with and some great sounds could
be utilised. Shark teeth shaped drop targets, jelly fish pop bumpers
and you could use a pinball to jam the gears in the fish tank filter
pump. I think it would appeal to many people of all ages and I don't
think it would lose its appeal over time like some other licensed
themes might well do. I think the cabinet art, playfield and translite
could be made to look amazing. Of course the goal of the game is self
explanatory too.

Dave

Pirates of the Caribbean for sure. There are still two movies to come out
and the first one was great. Lots of great quotes that could be used too.

--

-Frank Gant
http://orbitpinball.com

<moviereviews4fun@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Which of these semi-recent films would have made a good pin theme, as
> well as a good marketing theme?
>
> Rank them in order. Here's my order:
>
> 1) The Matrix trilogy
> 2) Spiderman (Raimi)
> 3) Fight Club
> 4) Shrek
> 5) Pirates of the Caribbean
>
> The Matrix has so many possibilities for a deep set of rules, great
> toys, sound and music, cool translite (fiberoptics behind the translite
> to look like the matrix on computer screen?).
>
> Spiderman would probably do better than the remaining three because of
> its popularity (more sequels planned; could this theme still be a
> possibility?).
>
> I think Fight Club would do well in the bars. This film has a huge
> cult following with 20- and 30-something guys. Project Mayhem
> Multiball? This would be a great pin for sound bites: "I want you to
> hit me as hard as you can," "The first rule of Fight Club is you don't
> talk about Fight Club," "This is your life, and it's ending one minute
> at a time," "I am Jack's smirking revenge."
>
> Shrek is still a possibility too (more sequels on the way). Everyone
> loves Shrek. This seems like it would be fun.
>
> Pirates of the Caribbean also has sequels on the way. If done right,
> this could be a lot of fun too.
>
> While we're on the subject, who pays whom to do a film theme? Does the
> pinball company pay for the license, or does the studio pay to have
> their film promoted? For the sake of timing, wouldn't the studio need
> to approach the pinball makers and say, "We have a blockbuster film
> coming out in a year and a half, and we want to help promote it with a
> pinball machine"? Or do film themes come out after the film is already
> a success? I can't imagine Judge Dredd, Demolition Man, Johnny
> Mneumonic, Flintstones, Congo, and Barb Wire were such great successes
> to make them after the film had already left the theaters.
>
> Mark

They need to come out with pulp fiction pinball. How awesome would that
be. Could have gun shooter like the shadow. Have drug paraphinalia
all over the machine. Have Jimmys house with signs on the front lawn.
Could go for the menard and zeds multiball gag. Big Kahuna burger
stand. Maybe even jack rabbit slims twist mode.

Wayne is not Williams, never has been, never will be. Wayne is a man
from Australia who bought the right to slap the Bally name on pinball
machines. Doesn't make him Williams, or Bally, for that matter.

Chris Lyon wrote:
> Wayne is not Williams, never has been, never will be. Wayne is a man
> from Australia who bought the right to slap the Bally name on pinball
> machines. Doesn't make him Williams, or Bally, for that matter.

Okay, let me rephrase what I wrote earlier:

Maybe Stern or a man from Australia who bought the right to slap the
Bally name on pinball machines already has plans for a Spiderman pin
(wishful thinking?).

Better?

Mark

I second that. For no other reason that it made me smile.

Prove it or stay out of it. No one wants Wayne and his goons around
anymore. Haven't you noticed?

Do a Quentin T. pin and incorporate all his greatness! Progress through
his movies killing all the bad guys. Why just use one?

John!

Nwojedi wrote:
> They need to come out with pulp fiction pinball. How awesome would that
> be. Could have gun shooter like the shadow. Have drug paraphinalia
> all over the machine. Have Jimmys house with signs on the front lawn.
> Could go for the menard and zeds multiball gag. Big Kahuna burger
> stand. Maybe even jack rabbit slims twist mode.

Wayne Williams? He is still in prison in Atlanta.

John!

moviereviews4fun@yahoo.com wrote:
> Wayne doesn't plan to produce new machines? Only parts?

Only notice you and your regular objections, most others have emailed
me being very positive about what we are doing, Goons what goons??

Settle in Chris I am here for a long time regardless of what you might
think.

I have nothing to prove to you.