How hot is too hot?

Shane_DA_BANE

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
I just recently fitted my rig with a Barton 2800 and Epox 8RDA+ motherboard. I'm interested in doing a little bit of overclocking, but I don't know what temperature is too high for this processor. Can any of you give me an estimated limit on cpu temperature?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Well it depends who you talk to, most bartrons can do 85c and thouroughtbreds 90c. However this is the MAX core temp, and really should not be run for long periods of time (at or over this could permenantly effect your proc.), most overlockers are happy with about a core temp in the 40's (C) and at about 50C they get a bit nervous, i personally would never take a cpu above 52C however i am a bit cautious. Above these temeperatures the life of your cpu starts getting significantly shorter . You have an excellent board for O/Cing and a very o/c freindly proc, i would highly recomend a good quality heatsink and moderate fan and try your hands in o/cing. Have Fun!

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
If you want to overclock, I strongly recommend you download temp monitoring software like Motherboard Monitor 5 because it tells you the CPU diode temperature which is crucial. The CPU temp report by Epox USDM (if you are using it) is the socket temperature; diode temp could go sky high when your socket temp is seems to be normal. And if you are overclocking, the diode temp UNDERLOAD should never exceed 65*C, the CPU won't burn if you reach 65*C, but things will get very hot and one of the biggest bugs on nForce2 is the overheated Southbridge chip during overclocking. (btw, this is the infamous nForce2 APU crackling problem). And overclocker doesn't like hot thing running in their machine. So before you start overclock, get a heatsink, or better a cooling fan, on the southbridge, and download MBM5 to monitor temp, and you are clear to go. Happy overclocking and don't get hot :)

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Basically too hot is when you don't get stable running from it under load.
Tbreds/bartons naturally run warm, and there is alot of variability in the temp monitoring, so Stability is your best indicator.

<b>Melb_angel: PooBaa's <A HREF="http://www.secretarythemovie.com" target="_new">Secretary!</A></b>

Shane_DA_BANE

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
I forgot to mention that I have a Lian Li PC-60 aluminum case and the heatsink/fan I use is the Thermalright 900-u and the Thermaltake Smart Fan 2. The heatsink seems to be properly installed, but I can't get away from high load temperatures for the CPU, averaging at around 46-48 degrees Celcius. This is at its stock speed, mind you. Has something gone wrong here? I'm pretty sure the voltage is still at 1.65 V.

Edit: OMG! This may seem stupid, but is there a certain way the fan is supposed to be pointing over the heatsink? I may have installed the fan with the wrong side facing the heatsink.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Shane_DA_BANE on 06/26/03 08:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Yes. the Fan should be blowing air downwards, towards the chip. Not sure how much affect mounting it upside down would have though - might be a few degrees...

---
:smile: :tongue: :smile: