Backing Up User Profile

I am using Win XP Home Edition. My computer is not connected to a network.
When I booted my system a few days ago the screen displayed a message that
the user profile was corrupted. A new "temp" profile was created.

Since them I've learned a lot about c:/documents and settings/<user_name>
and how to create a new profile, etc.

I do not want to have to rebuild my profile again. It took a lot of time to
reconfigure the profile. Is there a way to back-up my newly created profile?
Is these a way to back up NTUSER.dat such that if the profile is ever
corrupted again it would be possible to quickly restore its.

Also, at the advice of several "experts" I've turned of Sustem Restore to
help reduce the affects of virus infections. Is that a good idea? If Sysem
Restore is activated can it be used to quickly repair/restore a corrupted
profile?

Thanks

--
FWS
7 answers Last reply

    Whoops! I didn't see the System Restore question at first.

    System Restore is a valuable tool (and I hate it - it never works right for
    me) to backup your system. Here's a KB search on it (with lot's of good
    articles):
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?mode=s&cat=false&query=system+restore+xp&x=0&y=0&srch=sup

    Also, here's a good site from one of the MVPs:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#WhatsRestored

    That being said, System Restore can be used as a storage point for malware
    attacks - but that's after it's already on your system. And, the fix for it
    is to simply turn System Restore off. That'll delete your restore points and
    the malware along with them. Here's a link about accessing the System Volume
    Information folder:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309531 That's where
    your restore points reside.

    Frank wrote:

    > I am using Win XP Home Edition. My computer is not connected to a network.
    > When I booted my system a few days ago the screen displayed a message that
    > the user profile was corrupted. A new "temp" profile was created.
    >
    > Since them I've learned a lot about c:/documents and settings/<user_name>
    > and how to create a new profile, etc.
    >
    > I do not want to have to rebuild my profile again. It took a lot of time to
    > reconfigure the profile. Is there a way to back-up my newly created profile?
    > Is these a way to back up NTUSER.dat such that if the profile is ever
    > corrupted again it would be possible to quickly restore its.
    >
    > Also, at the advice of several "experts" I've turned of Sustem Restore to
    > help reduce the affects of virus infections. Is that a good idea? If Sysem
    > Restore is activated can it be used to quickly repair/restore a corrupted
    > profile?
    >
    > Thanks

    I suggest you get a drive imaging program and save an image of the
    complete drive on an external drive or DVD. That way if something goes
    wrong you can restore the drive image and be back running in a few
    minutes. Restores can also be done of individual files and folders.

    Programs that do this are Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, Terabyte
    Unlimited's Image for Windows, and Terabyte Unlimited's BootItNG.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Windows XP