Dell Dimension 4100 make a good PVR?

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 with following specs:

800 mhz Pentium 3

512 megs ram

40 gig hard drive

Windows XP Pro

21" monitor

CD drive only

What Im wondering is if I could make a good PVR (Tivo clone) outta
this thing? Does it have enough horsepower and resources??

Initially Id just like to ut a DVD drive in this thing and be able to
hook it up to a standard 32" analog TV and play DVD movies with it.
Can that be done cheaply to start with?

Then....Id like to put a TV card and PVR video card in it to record TV
programs to the hard drive....and watch them later on the 32" analog
TV

Advice? Can I do this at reasonable cost with above hardware?
5 answers Last reply
More about dell dimension 4100 make good

    me6@privacy.net wrote:
    > I have a Dell Dimension 4100 with following specs:
    >
    > 800 mhz Pentium 3
    >
    > 512 megs ram
    >
    > 40 gig hard drive
    >
    > Windows XP Pro
    >
    > 21" monitor
    >
    > CD drive only
    >

    > What Im wondering is if I could make a good PVR (Tivo clone) outta
    > this thing? Does it have enough horsepower and resources??
    >
    > Initially Id just like to ut a DVD drive in this thing and be able to
    > hook it up to a standard 32" analog TV and play DVD movies with it.
    > Can that be done cheaply to start with?
    >
    > Then....Id like to put a TV card and PVR video card in it to record TV
    > programs to the hard drive....and watch them later on the 32" analog
    > TV
    >
    > Advice? Can I do this at reasonable cost with above hardware?

    This equipment should work. We had experimented with something
    similar about 4 years ago. This time around, I'd opt for a much
    faster processor, perhaps a HT P4 300 MHz running under WinXP.
    And also the fastest AGP video card and at least 1 GB of RAM if
    not 2 GB. And if video editing is going to be involved along with
    storage, then the largest and fastest HD's that can be installed.

    I would think you would need a much faster processor to do any "real time"
    recording.
    HH

    <me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Dell Dimension 4100 with following specs:
    >
    > 800 mhz Pentium 3
    >
    > 512 megs ram
    >
    > 40 gig hard drive
    >
    > Windows XP Pro
    >
    > 21" monitor
    >
    > CD drive only
    >

    > What Im wondering is if I could make a good PVR (Tivo clone) outta
    > this thing? Does it have enough horsepower and resources??
    >
    > Initially Id just like to ut a DVD drive in this thing and be able to
    > hook it up to a standard 32" analog TV and play DVD movies with it.
    > Can that be done cheaply to start with?
    >
    > Then....Id like to put a TV card and PVR video card in it to record TV
    > programs to the hard drive....and watch them later on the 32" analog
    > TV
    >
    > Advice? Can I do this at reasonable cost with above hardware?

    >This equipment should work. We had experimented with something
    >similar about 4 years ago. This time around, I'd opt for a much
    >faster processor, perhaps a HT P4 300 MHz running under WinXP.
    >And also the fastest AGP video card and at least 1 GB of RAM if
    >not 2 GB. And if video editing is going to be involved along with
    >storage, then the largest and fastest HD's that can be installed.

    Yeah.... Im actually wondering if it wouldnt be just as wise to go
    ahead and buy a true "media PC" with all the necessary hardware in it.
    Rather than piece mealing a systmem together. However... it would
    only cost me a max of abt $180 to use my current 4100 system.

    Actually it might cost me as little as $50 to make it into a PVR if I
    buy the hardware from NewEgg.

    They have a LeadTek card pretty cheap right now

    see link

    Realtime capture requires a much faster processor than a PIII 800. You
    likely could capture to your hard drive, if it is fast enough, then burn
    from there.

    > >This equipment should work. We had experimented with something
    > >similar about 4 years ago. This time around, I'd opt for a much
    > >faster processor, perhaps a HT P4 300 MHz running under WinXP.
    > >And also the fastest AGP video card and at least 1 GB of RAM if
    > >not 2 GB. And if video editing is going to be involved along with
    > >storage, then the largest and fastest HD's that can be installed.
    >
    > Yeah.... Im actually wondering if it wouldnt be just as wise to go
    > ahead and buy a true "media PC" with all the necessary hardware in it.
    > Rather than piece mealing a systmem together. However... it would
    > only cost me a max of abt $180 to use my current 4100 system.
    >
    > Actually it might cost me as little as $50 to make it into a PVR if I
    > buy the hardware from NewEgg.
    >
    > They have a LeadTek card pretty cheap right now
    >
    > see link

    >Realtime capture requires a much faster processor than a PIII 800. You
    >likely could capture to your hard drive, if it is fast enough, then burn
    >from there.

    Im not looking to burn DVD or do video editing

    Instead Im looking for a PVR.....something that acts like a VCR but
    uses a hard drive instead

Dell Dimension Computers