Worlds first 64 bit desktop.Hats off to apple!!!!

varghesejim

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2003
It is done by apple.They launched its powermac G5.It is my much desired system.
Every hardware enthusiast should look ate it.1 GHz FSB,3.2 GBPS Hypertransport I/O and much more.So now the leader of the desktop computer is apple(Where is Intel and AMD with their 64 bit processors?).Any comments!

And I think compared to the specifiations it is not that expensive(check the dual 2GHz).
Take a look at powermac if u want

http://www.apple.com/powermac/

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
refer to the 2 or so other threads on the G5 if you wish to see opinions.....I'll refrain from commenting as most everything has already been said....

"Don't question it!!!" - Err

simwiz2

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
Saying Apple is the desktop leader is so absurd. Just because of the 64 bits? I highly doubt it outperforms the P4 or even the AXP, all I have seen so far to support that claim is benchmarks done by Apple, and like benchmarks done by any company, they need to be taken with a grain of salt. If a company made a 128-bit processor that did not outperform the existing 32-bit ones, and had very little software for it, would they automatically be the leader?

And there is also the market share issue... I don't remember what Apple has but it certainly isn't much, so how can they be considered the leader?

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
*sells left arm and right testicle on ebay to help finance the purchase*
Woot! Now I can buy that New Mac! oh....wait a minute, this could become troublesome.........

Ganache

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1296" target="_new">http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1296</A>

And Mac computer really exist, i though it was a legend, like the boogieman !! PPl really buy those expansive decorations ?

chandanarahul

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
What are you really planning to do with that system anyway? U can't even get any games or basic s/w for macs in a place like India and as a matter of fact even in US or Europe. It's a waste of money to buy something so expensive and which you can't play with or screw a little bit..... even for 32bit macs u can' get enough games and s/w and u can't do any damn thing except wondering why in the hell u spent so much on it.

flashpan

Distinguished
May 23, 2003
Even though the thread has all the markings of a walking talking advertisement, it dose raise a serous question. For some time now this forum has see strong worded battles between the Intel camp and the AMD fanboys. In short, could this represent a third party in our little struggle?

Going back to the days of hating those stuck up, rude, self-absorbed computer illiterate, Mac or nothing, Steve Jobs wannabes. Wow that takes me back. But hey no hard feelings yet.

Hope you all get that “up-grade” soon. That is the great thing about Macs; up grades. No jumpers, no wires to confuse, no peripherals to tear out. You just pack up the old one and chuck it in the trash and go get the new one. How cool is that.

eden

Champion
It's as cool as a dope who upgrades by paying another 5000$, that's how cool.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:

varghesejim

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2003
Dont u think the hypertransport bus offered by apple is offering perfomance.And 64 bit applications will have a boost in the new apple(for building 64 bit software hardware is essential)

eden

Champion
Not for the home user it isn't.

You really sound like an Apple PR agent.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Some people can afford to spend more. Regardless of whether you or I think it's worth it. This debate can be had in the AMD vs Intel arena or the Ford vs Chevy arena. It's all the same. So besides price, isn't it kinda nice to "possibly" have some more competition out there?

I don't understand why everyone is getting all crazy over this. It's a GOOD thing.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=389&s=1fee5dab901bebe29da7aa1c2658fc6f" target="_new"><font color=red>dhlucke's system</font color=red></A>

<font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> <font color=red>BLESS</font color=red> <font color=blue>AMERICA</font color=blue>

chandanarahul

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
I know. But everybody got onething or the other. Intel got HT, SledgeHammer got HyperTransport. One question I always have is how much difference do these things make in real life use? Or How good is human perception to differentiate between two top of the line products (Except cases and coolers)? Can you really differentiate between two processors with 300 or 400MHz w/o running some benchmarks? How much time you can save by upgrading from 40X cd-rw to 48X cd-rw?

AMD is in entirely new business of pulling shades over everyones eyes and make them believe that there something that they are not. I was one of those who was always willing to believe anything AMD said. Apple has just reached a new milestone in bluffing everybody.

But I sincerely do agree that it's a great performance leap when you talk about the G5 compared to the last models.

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Intel has Itanium CPU and AMD has the Operteron (both 64bit). The specs all sound really good, but do softwares need a 3.2gb bandwidth and a 1ghz fsb, and will they take advantage of the 64bit architecture? Apple's hardware is always been more efficient than their PC couterparts, but there are substantially less software for Macs than for PCs. That's why I prefer PCs over Macs. Macs are better than PCs in every way but they barely has any softwares. Their OS is more stabile and easier to use than Windows. What they could do with a 2ghz is what the PC needs 3+ ghz to do.

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Funny thing, I always thought Sun had the first desktop 64 bit workstation... and hey it runs about the same number of games as the mac! :)

Shadus

varghesejim

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2003
Firstly they need hardware to build software.1 Ghz FSB and such highprofile specs can be utilised by softwares(At least in the case of games).
I am not an apple fan, simply a hardware enthusiast who is willing to share my thoughts to like minded people.I cannot keep silence when such a technological breakthrough in 'desktop' computing is made .For me the brand name doesn't matter,and I think advancement in technology needs to be acknowledged(company not a matter).And will it gives some pressure to rollout some new products in the PC arena?I dont know,but if so that will help hardware enthusiasts see some products they have been waiting for a long time(like 64 bit AMD).

eden

Champion
I am totally for more competition, but the issue is not pressure, it's that the Mac is ANOTHER PLATFORM entirely. What runs on PC won't run on Mac without a port. Even if they brought an excellent CPU, the major aspect is price and that in itself cannot win anyone over. No OEM is gonna sell if their minimum surfer and Word editor computer is 3000$.

Apple cannot win this way until they change. And that is why I am not motivated by their return at the moment.
The CPU motivates me, but not them.

--

eden

Champion
I'm not against them, I do enjoy competition. But to claim it's a 3rd competitor in the CPU market is NAIVE. Read my last post to see.

--

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
And will it gives some pressure to rollout some new products in the PC arena?I dont know,but if so that will help hardware enthusiasts see some products they have been waiting for a long time(like 64 bit AMD).
In case you weren't aware, AMD's Opteron beat Apple's new G5-based Mac to market. So the new Mac is having absolutely no impact on AMD. If anything AMD is having an impact on Apple. (Though I wouldn't even really support that this is true either.)

And further, Apple had nil influence on the G5 processor, and almost no influence on its subsequent supportive hardware. The processor is <i>actually</i> a PowerPC 970 and was developed purely by IBM. The hardware that the processor goes into was mostly developed by IBM as well, and frankly many of the technologies that go into that were borrowed from the PC. Pretty much the <i>only</i> things that Apple did were to first rename the PowerPC 970 to the G5, second to make sure that their OS could run on the hardware, and third to assemble and sell the hardware/software combo just as any other OEM would do.

The PowerPC 970 is a great chip, but it's IBM that deserves the credit for that, <i>not</i> Apple. Let us not forget this huge fact that Apple is trying hard to make us forget. Without IBM, Apple would be <b>nowhere</b> for releasing this new product.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Itanium nothing. Suns have LONG been 64bit workstations... about the same price as a mac for the lowest end models... or how about SGI's those were very popular graphics workstations for a very long time... far from cheap, but very popular.

Shadus

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i for one would very much like to see some well ballanced benchmarks

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>