Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Disk defrag error message help!!

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:03:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I'd like to defrag my hard drive - which has not been done in about two
years. I'm getting the following error message from Windows (XP pro) when
selecting my C: drive to analyze prior to disk defragmentation: "disk
defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume :
(c:) . Please run Chkdsk/f. When I run chkdsk/f from a DOS prompt I get
another message that "the file system is NTFS; cannot lock current drive.
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you
like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system
restarts?" I do not respond "yes" to this question, because I don't see how
it has anything to do with the original error message.

If someone has encountered this error while attempting to defrag their hard
drive and knows of a fix for it, please let me know.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:21:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

This is the short version....

Chkdsk can't access the NTFS volume (file system) while XP is running, so
you've gotta answer YES so that it will do it on the next reboot. Using the
/f parameter is important because it's the switch that tells chkdsk to fix
the errors that it finds.

For more information, type chkdsk /? at the command prompt - it'll give you
a list of the switches that are available.

"Bruce H." wrote:

> I'd like to defrag my hard drive - which has not been done in about two
> years. I'm getting the following error message from Windows (XP pro) when
> selecting my C: drive to analyze prior to disk defragmentation: "disk
> defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume :
> (c:) . Please run Chkdsk/f. When I run chkdsk/f from a DOS prompt I get
> another message that "the file system is NTFS; cannot lock current drive.
> Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you
> like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system
> restarts?" I do not respond "yes" to this question, because I don't see how
> it has anything to do with the original error message.
>
> If someone has encountered this error while attempting to defrag their hard
> drive and knows of a fix for it, please let me know.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:30:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

You are NOT getting an error message. You are getting an informational
message that tells you what to do, and how to do it. Read the message and do
as it says. Then reboot!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you thought you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"

"Bruce H." <Bruce H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C8EC4C64-9EEF-463B-A42B-69B14B51B96D@microsoft.com...
> I'd like to defrag my hard drive - which has not been done in about two
> years. I'm getting the following error message from Windows (XP pro) when
> selecting my C: drive to analyze prior to disk defragmentation: "disk
> defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume :
> (c:) . Please run Chkdsk/f. When I run chkdsk/f from a DOS prompt I get
> another message that "the file system is NTFS; cannot lock current drive.
> Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would
> you
> like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system
> restarts?" I do not respond "yes" to this question, because I don't see
> how
> it has anything to do with the original error message.
>
> If someone has encountered this error while attempting to defrag their
> hard
> drive and knows of a fix for it, please let me know.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 2:16:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Bruce H. Wrote:
> I'd like to defrag my hard drive - which has not been done in about two
> years. I'm getting the following error message from Windows (XP pro)
> when
> selecting my C: drive to analyze prior to disk defragmentation: "disk
> defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume
> :
> (c:) . Please run Chkdsk/f. When I run chkdsk/f from a DOS prompt I get
> another message that "the file system is NTFS; cannot lock current
> drive.
> Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
> Would you
> like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system
> restarts?" I do not respond "yes" to this question, because I don't see
> how
> it has anything to do with the original error message.
>
> If someone has encountered this error while attempting to defrag their
> hard
> drive and knows of a fix for it, please let me know.

Not defragmented for two years! Being regular with maintenance tasks
like diskcleanup, CHKDSK, defrag etc lends stability to the system. The
more regularly you defrag, the lesser it will take each time to
complete. Here's a useful link

http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/HDDMaint_Chkdsk.ht...


--
xy2z
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 2:32:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Your point is well taken, however XP performs partial defrags in the background during periods of inactivity. I have not manually run Disk Defragmenter in almost a year yet my PC runs quickly. In fact, the last time I manually defragged was after installing SP 2.

Ted Zieglar

"xy2z" <xy2z.1u43q4@pcbanter.net> wrote in message news:xy2z.1u43q4@pcbanter.net...
>
> Bruce H. Wrote:
>> I'd like to defrag my hard drive - which has not been done in about two
>> years. I'm getting the following error message from Windows (XP pro)
>> when
>> selecting my C: drive to analyze prior to disk defragmentation: "disk
>> defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume
>> :
>> (c:) . Please run Chkdsk/f. When I run chkdsk/f from a DOS prompt I get
>> another message that "the file system is NTFS; cannot lock current
>> drive.
>> Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
>> Would you
>> like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system
>> restarts?" I do not respond "yes" to this question, because I don't see
>> how
>> it has anything to do with the original error message.
>>
>> If someone has encountered this error while attempting to defrag their
>> hard
>> drive and knows of a fix for it, please let me know.
>
> Not defragmented for two years! Being regular with maintenance tasks
> like diskcleanup, CHKDSK, defrag etc lends stability to the system. The
> more regularly you defrag, the lesser it will take each time to
> complete. Here's a useful link
>
> http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/HDDMaint_Chkdsk.ht...
>
>
> --
> xy2z
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 9:55:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

This 'every 3 day defrag' isn't a full defrag. It is only those files that
Windows loads during the boot/prefetch process. Non boot/prefetch files
will not get defragmented during this 'abbreviated' pass - which is why
Microsoft recommends periodic defrags.

- Greg/Raxco Software
Microsoft MVP - Windows File System

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Want to email me? Delete ntloader.

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
news:uzUht0lpFHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Your point is well taken, however XP performs partial defrags in the
background during periods of inactivity. I have not manually run Disk
Defragmenter in almost a year yet my PC runs quickly. In fact, the last time
I manually defragged was after installing SP 2.

Ted Zieglar

"xy2z" <xy2z.1u43q4@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
news:xy2z.1u43q4@pcbanter.net...
>
> Bruce H. Wrote:
>> I'd like to defrag my hard drive - which has not been done in about two
>> years. I'm getting the following error message from Windows (XP pro)
>> when
>> selecting my C: drive to analyze prior to disk defragmentation: "disk
>> defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume
>> :
>> (c:) . Please run Chkdsk/f. When I run chkdsk/f from a DOS prompt I get
>> another message that "the file system is NTFS; cannot lock current
>> drive.
>> Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
>> Would you
>> like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system
>> restarts?" I do not respond "yes" to this question, because I don't see
>> how
>> it has anything to do with the original error message.
>>
>> If someone has encountered this error while attempting to defrag their
>> hard
>> drive and knows of a fix for it, please let me know.
>
> Not defragmented for two years! Being regular with maintenance tasks
> like diskcleanup, CHKDSK, defrag etc lends stability to the system. The
> more regularly you defrag, the lesser it will take each time to
> complete. Here's a useful link
>
> http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/HDDMaint_Chkdsk.ht...
>
>
> --
> xy2z
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 3:00:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Interesting...Whenever I have used Disk Defragmenter to 'Analyze' my disk it
reports no defrag needed...and my computer runs swiftly. Maybe it's not
necessary for the home user (who isn't running a server) to defrag every
last byte.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Greg Hayes/Raxco Software" <ghayesntloader@raxco.com> wrote in message
news:%23nAcdQ2pFHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> This 'every 3 day defrag' isn't a full defrag. It is only those files
that
> Windows loads during the boot/prefetch process. Non boot/prefetch files
> will not get defragmented during this 'abbreviated' pass - which is why
> Microsoft recommends periodic defrags.
>
> - Greg/Raxco Software
> Microsoft MVP - Windows File System
>
> Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
> commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support
department.
>
> Want to email me? Delete ntloader.
>
> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> news:uzUht0lpFHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Your point is well taken, however XP performs partial defrags in the
> background during periods of inactivity. I have not manually run Disk
> Defragmenter in almost a year yet my PC runs quickly. In fact, the last
time
> I manually defragged was after installing SP 2.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "xy2z" <xy2z.1u43q4@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
> news:xy2z.1u43q4@pcbanter.net...
> >
> > Bruce H. Wrote:
> >> I'd like to defrag my hard drive - which has not been done in about two
> >> years. I'm getting the following error message from Windows (XP pro)
> >> when
> >> selecting my C: drive to analyze prior to disk defragmentation: "disk
> >> defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume
> >> :
> >> (c:) . Please run Chkdsk/f. When I run chkdsk/f from a DOS prompt I get
> >> another message that "the file system is NTFS; cannot lock current
> >> drive.
> >> Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
> >> Would you
> >> like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system
> >> restarts?" I do not respond "yes" to this question, because I don't see
> >> how
> >> it has anything to do with the original error message.
> >>
> >> If someone has encountered this error while attempting to defrag their
> >> hard
> >> drive and knows of a fix for it, please let me know.
> >
> > Not defragmented for two years! Being regular with maintenance tasks
> > like diskcleanup, CHKDSK, defrag etc lends stability to the system. The
> > more regularly you defrag, the lesser it will take each time to
> > complete. Here's a useful link
> >
> > http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/HDDMaint_Chkdsk.ht...
> >
> >
> > --
> > xy2z
>
>
September 3, 2005 2:40:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi, I have the same problem, but after answering YES to the chkdsk and
rebooting the chkdsk says again that it cannot lock the drive and so
it will not proceed with check, but continue to load widows.
After xp fully loads i run defrag - says it cannot do it, let me run
chkdsk /f. When I run chkdsk it schedules a check during next boot, and
during next boot it says it cannot lock the drive... HELP!

I think that some program loads before the chkdsk starts, but i dont
have idea where to look for such a program. (i checked already the
microsoft/windows/current version/run, run once registry keys and
msconfig but it didnt show any program loading in boot time.

This problem occurs since maybe a month. before it was ok.
Any ideas? :what



--
bugmenot
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
------------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1800865.html
!