Disk defrag error message help!!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I'd like to defrag my hard drive - which has not been done in about two
years. I'm getting the following error message from Windows (XP pro) when
selecting my C: drive to analyze prior to disk defragmentation: "disk
defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume :
(c:). Please run Chkdsk/f. When I run chkdsk/f from a DOS prompt I get
another message that "the file system is NTFS; cannot lock current drive.
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you
like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system
restarts?" I do not respond "yes" to this question, because I don't see how
it has anything to do with the original error message.

If someone has encountered this error while attempting to defrag their hard
drive and knows of a fix for it, please let me know.
7 answers Last reply
More about disk defrag error message help
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    This is the short version....

    Chkdsk can't access the NTFS volume (file system) while XP is running, so
    you've gotta answer YES so that it will do it on the next reboot. Using the
    /f parameter is important because it's the switch that tells chkdsk to fix
    the errors that it finds.

    For more information, type chkdsk /? at the command prompt - it'll give you
    a list of the switches that are available.

    "Bruce H." wrote:

    > I'd like to defrag my hard drive - which has not been done in about two
    > years. I'm getting the following error message from Windows (XP pro) when
    > selecting my C: drive to analyze prior to disk defragmentation: "disk
    > defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume :
    > (c:). Please run Chkdsk/f. When I run chkdsk/f from a DOS prompt I get
    > another message that "the file system is NTFS; cannot lock current drive.
    > Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you
    > like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system
    > restarts?" I do not respond "yes" to this question, because I don't see how
    > it has anything to do with the original error message.
    >
    > If someone has encountered this error while attempting to defrag their hard
    > drive and knows of a fix for it, please let me know.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    You are NOT getting an error message. You are getting an informational
    message that tells you what to do, and how to do it. Read the message and do
    as it says. Then reboot!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    Bruce H. Wrote:
    > I'd like to defrag my hard drive - which has not been done in about two
    > years. I'm getting the following error message from Windows (XP pro)
    > when
    > selecting my C: drive to analyze prior to disk defragmentation: "disk
    > defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume
    > :
    > (c:). Please run Chkdsk/f. When I run chkdsk/f from a DOS prompt I get
    > another message that "the file system is NTFS; cannot lock current
    > drive.
    > Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
    > Would you
    > like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system
    > restarts?" I do not respond "yes" to this question, because I don't see
    > how
    > it has anything to do with the original error message.
    >
    > If someone has encountered this error while attempting to defrag their
    > hard
    > drive and knows of a fix for it, please let me know.

    Not defragmented for two years! Being regular with maintenance tasks
    like diskcleanup, CHKDSK, defrag etc lends stability to the system. The
    more regularly you defrag, the lesser it will take each time to
    complete. Here's a useful link

    http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/HDDMaint_Chkdsk.htm

    --
    xy2z

    Your point is well taken, however XP performs partial defrags in the background during periods of inactivity. I have not manually run Disk Defragmenter in almost a year yet my PC runs quickly. In fact, the last time I manually defragged was after installing SP 2.

    Ted Zieglar

    "xy2z" <xy2z.1u43q4@pcbanter.net> wrote in message news:xy2z.1u43q4@pcbanter.net...

    > Bruce H. Wrote:
    >> I'd like to defrag my hard drive - which has not been done in about two
    >> years. I'm getting the following error message from Windows (XP pro)
    >> when
    >> selecting my C: drive to analyze prior to disk defragmentation: "disk
    >> defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume
    >> :
    >> (c:). Please run Chkdsk/f. When I run chkdsk/f from a DOS prompt I get
    >> another message that "the file system is NTFS; cannot lock current
    >> drive.
    >> Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
    >> Would you
    >> like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system
    >> restarts?" I do not respond "yes" to this question, because I don't see
    >> how
    >> it has anything to do with the original error message.
    >>
    >> If someone has encountered this error while attempting to defrag their
    >> hard
    >> drive and knows of a fix for it, please let me know.
    >
    > Not defragmented for two years! Being regular with maintenance tasks
    > like diskcleanup, CHKDSK, defrag etc lends stability to the system. The
    > more regularly you defrag, the lesser it will take each time to
    > complete. Here's a useful link
    >
    > http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/HDDMaint_Chkdsk.htm
    >

    > --
    > xy2z

    This 'every 3 day defrag' isn't a full defrag. It is only those files that
    Windows loads during the boot/prefetch process. Non boot/prefetch files
    will not get defragmented during this 'abbreviated' pass - which is why
    Microsoft recommends periodic defrags.

    - Greg/Raxco Software
    Microsoft MVP - Windows File System

    Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
    commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

    Want to email me? Delete ntloader.

    Your point is well taken, however XP performs partial defrags in the
    background during periods of inactivity. I have not manually run Disk
    Defragmenter in almost a year yet my PC runs quickly. In fact, the last time
    I manually defragged was after installing SP 2.

    Ted Zieglar

    "xy2z" <xy2z.1u43q4@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Bruce H. Wrote:
    >> I'd like to defrag my hard drive - which has not been done in about two
    >> years. I'm getting the following error message from Windows (XP pro)
    >> when
    >> selecting my C: drive to analyze prior to disk defragmentation: "disk
    >> defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume
    >> :
    >> (c:). Please run Chkdsk/f. When I run chkdsk/f from a DOS prompt I get
    >> another message that "the file system is NTFS; cannot lock current
    >> drive.
    >> Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
    >> Would you
    >> like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system
    >> restarts?" I do not respond "yes" to this question, because I don't see
    >> how
    >> it has anything to do with the original error message.
    >>
    >> If someone has encountered this error while attempting to defrag their
    >> hard
    >> drive and knows of a fix for it, please let me know.
    >
    > Not defragmented for two years! Being regular with maintenance tasks
    > like diskcleanup, CHKDSK, defrag etc lends stability to the system. The
    > more regularly you defrag, the lesser it will take each time to
    > complete. Here's a useful link
    >
    > http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/HDDMaint_Chkdsk.htm
    >

    > --
    > xy2z

    Interesting...Whenever I have used Disk Defragmenter to 'Analyze' my disk it
    reports no defrag needed...and my computer runs swiftly. Maybe it's not
    necessary for the home user (who isn't running a server) to defrag every
    last byte.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Greg Hayes/Raxco Software" <ghayesntloader@raxco.com> wrote in message
    > This 'every 3 day defrag' isn't a full defrag. It is only those files
    that
    > Windows loads during the boot/prefetch process. Non boot/prefetch files
    > will not get defragmented during this 'abbreviated' pass - which is why
    > Microsoft recommends periodic defrags.
    >
    > - Greg/Raxco Software
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows File System
    >
    > Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
    > commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support
    department.

    > Want to email me? Delete ntloader.

    > Your point is well taken, however XP performs partial defrags in the
    > background during periods of inactivity. I have not manually run Disk
    > Defragmenter in almost a year yet my PC runs quickly. In fact, the last
    time
    > I manually defragged was after installing SP 2.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "xy2z" <xy2z.1u43q4@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Bruce H. Wrote:
    > >> I'd like to defrag my hard drive - which has not been done in about two
    > >> years. I'm getting the following error message from Windows (XP pro)
    > >> when
    > >> selecting my C: drive to analyze prior to disk defragmentation: "disk
    > >> defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume
    > >> :
    > >> (c:). Please run Chkdsk/f. When I run chkdsk/f from a DOS prompt I get
    > >> another message that "the file system is NTFS; cannot lock current
    > >> drive.
    > >> Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
    > >> Would you
    > >> like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system
    > >> restarts?" I do not respond "yes" to this question, because I don't see
    > >> how
    > >> it has anything to do with the original error message.
    > >>
    > >> If someone has encountered this error while attempting to defrag their
    > >> hard
    > >> drive and knows of a fix for it, please let me know.
    > >
    > > Not defragmented for two years! Being regular with maintenance tasks
    > > like diskcleanup, CHKDSK, defrag etc lends stability to the system. The
    > > more regularly you defrag, the lesser it will take each time to
    > > complete. Here's a useful link
    > >
    > > http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/HDDMaint_Chkdsk.htm
    > >

    > > --
    > > xy2z

    Hi, I have the same problem, but after answering YES to the chkdsk and
    rebooting the chkdsk says again that it cannot lock the drive and so
    it will not proceed with check, but continue to load widows.
    After xp fully loads i run defrag - says it cannot do it, let me run
    chkdsk /f. When I run chkdsk it schedules a check during next boot, and
    during next boot it says it cannot lock the drive... HELP!

    I think that some program loads before the chkdsk starts, but i dont
    have idea where to look for such a program. (i checked already the
    microsoft/windows/current version/run, run once registry keys and
    msconfig but it didnt show any program loading in boot time.

    This problem occurs since maybe a month. before it was ok.
    Any ideas? :what

    --
    bugmenot

Chkdsk Defragment Error Message Windows XP