FOR SALE 1964 United "THUNDER" Ball Bowler

Last response: in Video Games
July 8, 2005 9:03:14 PM

I have a 1964 United "THUNDER" 13 foot big ball bowler for sale.
Bowler frame has been sanded to bare wood and restained with Min-Wax
Golden Oak stain, then multiple coats of poly with sanding between
coats. As the graphics were hard if not impossible to duplicate on this

game,I sanded it to bare wood then repainted in a gray color and added
new vynil graphics in the style of a United "CLASSIC" bowler. Bowler
has been completely gone thru mechanically. EVERY stepper unit...EVERY
scoring unit....and ALL motors have been cleaned, aligned, repaired or
replaced where needed. This games plays PERFECTLY. All new locks (keyed

alike), all new bulbs, Very nice ORIGINAL set of United pins (rubber
not plastic) Both backglasses very nice, 3 very nice original balls.
Can deliver the game within 300 miles of South Bend Indiana, farther
than that I usually use NAVL. If interested call DOC TOLLFREE at 1
800-241-8577
Links to a few pictures below...If interested I can send more this
week. http://www.solisstyle.com/ims/­­pic.php?u=37700AIeY&i=46053
http://www.solisstyle.com/ims/­­pic.php?u=37700AIeY&i=46054
Thanks DOC
www.bigballbowler.com
docdoom(AT)ligtel.com
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 10:18:57 PM

You'll have to email him to get the price. He doesn't put it in the
post. Guess he figures that he can set the price once he feels out who
he's dealing with. The posts are kinda annoying too since he cant be
bothered to put "Off Topic" in his posts either.

Doug
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 4:35:21 AM

On 8 Jul 2005 17:03:14 -0700, "DOC DOOM" <docdoom@ligtel.com> wrote:

>I have a 1964 United "THUNDER" 13 foot big ball bowler for sale.

If it's for sale, what's its price?
July 9, 2005 1:45:13 PM

Doug, I'm sure you live in an area that has new car dealerships as well
as the
"Drive now pay later" lots? You know the lots that usually have the
prices in
white shoe polish on the windshields. I think if you or anyone is truly
interested in
any item you would surely put a little effort into it? Such as getting
out of your car and contacting a salesman at the dealership? That's why
I have an 800 number, for those who are truly interested in buying any
games or parts from me. As far as my items being "OFF TOPIC" the
heading under this group is "recreation-games" ALL my items were
manufactured by either Bally, Chicago Coin, or United!! Last I checked
they only
manufactured coin op games for recreation? My bowlers are they same
price for anyone who would like to purchase one. Check and see here in
the group I GIVE away more small parts than I sell!! I even pay
postage. Also check with members here on how long I have stayed on the
phone (on my dime) to help someone solve a problem..Members tell me if
I am wrong to post bowlers here? Also look at Dougs 57 past posts here
in the group and see how many of his are "OFF TOPIC"...then check
mine!! Sorry I annoy you Doug but my guess is you annoy easy.
Thanks DOC
docdoom(at)ligtel.com
www.bigballbowler.com
1-800-241-8577
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 1:03:56 PM

If your going to post something for sale on rgp you should put the
price in the post. It's been courtesy here on this newsgroup to do that
for as long as i've been reading it. Not putting a price in your post
only tells me that you either don't care how the group likes things to
be posted (hence not being courteous) or your going to size up the
person looking to buy and then set the price accordingly or choose not
deal with them at all.

I always find it interesting that when someone gets called out by
others for not following how things are done in a group they bring up
all the "charity" they've done in the past. Its called charity because
you don't expect anything back from it. Telling me how generous you are
with people who contact you only tells me that your not really out to
help them your only doing it in hopes of generating new business from
them. Which is fine as long as you don't try and put it down as
charity.

As far as being off topic with your post, you are. It's entirely two
different things to start a new thread that's off topic and to reply to
one thats off topic. I'm also not posting to "recreation.games" im
posting to "recreation.games.pinball". Note the difference. Making a
generic statement that the bowling machines your selling were
manufactured by the same people that made pinball machines does not
legitimize you saying that your post was on topic within this group. We
talk about about pinball machines here and not ball bowlers.

As far as you thinking that I annoy easily think again. If your not
tolerant in this group you'll be blown out in a week. There's been many
occassion where i've bit my tongue and hit the cancel instead of the
send button after writing out a reply. I only replied to this thread
because as long as i can remember you've never followed how things are
done here and it only leaves people open to drawing their own
conclusions on how you like to conduct business. Personally I do not
mind that you post here. I just wish that you'd follow how others
including myself like things to be posted that are for sale. You've
been here long enough to know that you just choose to ignore it.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 5:52:25 PM

where the hell is the rgp rule book!

not getting prices in fs posts is the result of this kind of bs that
shits all over someone who is just offering something for sale.

as for being ot the title says it all. if you don't like bowlers why'd
you read the post?

i am a pin collector. however, i have a shuffle bowler, a gun game,
juke, pop machines and would like a ball bowler. i don't think this is
ot. i like to see this stuff and i am sure there are others here too.

john

www.kansascitypinball.com
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 5:57:45 PM

>as for being ot the title says it all. if you don't like bowlers why'd
>you read the post?

I like bowlers and when I see it's DOC DOOM I know it's a quality
bowler...at a big price.

The reason he doesn't list the price is because it is going to be very
high for most. I have seen some of his stuff at chicagoland and it is
very nice. Like they say- "if you have to ask....."

Kirb
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 6:55:09 PM

your right man!

most of us wouldn't pay his price but thats only cuz we know how to
find cheap broken stuff and fix it up.

however, it is still really sad that people can't post a fs add with a
price here without fear of being persecuted for it.

john

www.kansascitypinball.com
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 7:44:37 PM

I am sure there are many people like myself who do not inquire about
ads that do not list a price. If your games are quality stuff, they
deserve the asking price. If TC (for instance) puts out a top price for
a game, I know the quality is there, I can decide to inquire further if
I can afford it.
No price means you are playing the user car salesman game.
Customer:"How much is the car?salesman: -How much are you offering?
etc."

This sales game is just as bad as the $1.00 starting auction price
with a hidden reserve of $3000.00.

When have you ever gone to a store , picked out an item, and only
found out how much it was when you went to the cashier? This does
happen with items that were not labelled by accident, but it is an
aggravation. I often don't go to a cashier on an item that I am
genuinely interested in buying without a price tag, because I don't
want to go through the bother. My time means something to me, so I
don't waste it calling about items that are POR.
These comments are NOT meant to trash your way of doing business,
just as an insight into how many people think. I actually have thought
about buying a bowler. I have not called.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 7:45:07 PM

I never said anything about a rule book. It seems that a pattern forms
over time regarding posting of FS items that the price is included
especially if it's a particular item. I've seen post after post
regarding things for sale and people asking "how much?" since the
poster didnt put the price in. Didnt matter that you could call them or
email them. If he was posting that he sells bowling machines and parts
in general then I couldn't have cared less about his post. To me It
just makes sense to put the price of what you are selling in the post.
I'd think it would help to weed out tire kickers and keep you from
having to talk to people who aren't really in the market for one.

As for not being interested in ball bowlers thats not the case here.
I'd really like to have one but have no idea what kind of money it
takes to buy one. That's where putting the price in the post comes in.
I can get an idea of what kind of money it takes without having to ask.
It seems that they aren't too high priced since he's posting in a
newsgroup where people exchange thousands of dollars for a box of
painted wood,plastic,metal and glass to let a ball bearing roll around
in.

I have no problem with someone posting items that are gameroom related
or not for sale in here. It's actually a convenience for us when they
do. I'm just back to wondering why they'd post for sale items if they
aren't going to tell you what they want for them.

I actually have a project roadshow for sale. Email me for
price/location. I'm not rich enough to have an 800 number for people to
call me about it but i'll get back to you as quickly as possible. LOL.

Doug
pblwzrd@gmail.com
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:22:24 PM

As far as bowlers being "off topic" in RGP, I'm pretty sure that
bowlers are specifically included in the description of RGP topics. I
think EM arcade games, and gun games are also included.
Mark (CARGPB5)
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 10:29:42 PM

As far as I'm concerned Doc can post about whatever he wants when he
wants - OT or not, price included or not. Doc doesn't have to explain
himself to you or anyone else. Looks like you have nothing better to
do than to waste keystrokes on bashing Doc who is one of the GOOD GUYS
in the hobby instead of using those keystrokes to type something useful
to someone. Seems to me maybe you have nothing to add that would be
constructive.

Everyone who has dealt with Doc knows he is THE guy for ball bowlers,
prices his games fairly, and provides service after the sale and help
to ANYONE who asks.

Since you bring it up about Doc's 'charity', here's what Doc did for
ME... If YOU'VE done anything even remotely charitable and for the good
of your fellow hobbyist please, please let us all know...

A few years ago I was considering buying a ball bowler from Doc and
another guy who shall remain nameless. Only because of what models
were currently available from each guy I ended up NOT buying from Doc
and bought from the other guy for top end dollar. The game arrived
with issues, as can be expected from shipping, and the other guy made
some half assed attempts to tell me where to look but wouldn't take the
time to spend a few moments with me on the phone. (I guess he was too
busy spending my money). Doc and I had kept in touch after the sale
and he was a GENTLEMAN after I even ended up NOT purchasing the game
from him and went elsewhere.

Fast forward about 2 years... Now my game is dead as the issues
compounded themselves and what was once a minor scoring issue is now a
game that work work. My kids were very disappointed to say the least.
Well, Doc remembered I had problems with it and kept it in the back of
his head that if he was ever near me he would stop by to help. I might
as well mention that I live in PA and Doc lives in Indiana.

Doc's father in law was ill this past winter and he and his wife drove
I would assume 7 hours or so from Indiana to visit her dad here in PA.
They spent a few days, drove all the way home, only to get the call to
come back as he had passed away. So they had to turn right around and
drive back here another 7 hours.

What does Doc do of all things during this difficult time for his
family ? He calls ME to say he's going to be in PA now for a few days
for the funeral and if he can get away he will drive the 2 hours it
takes to get to me to try to help me with my game. Do you believe it ?
He had a family member drive him 2 hours here, spent 3 hours fixing my
game to perfection, and drives 2 hours back. What did he ask for in
return ? An amount of money that was ridiculously low for his time
which I paid and gladly tipped him another $ 50 for good measure. He
did all this as a favor for a friend and for my kids knowing they were
disappointed the game wasn't working AND that I didn't have the skill
to fix it. Oh, and don't forget the little tidbit that I DIDN'T EVEN
BUY THE GODDAMN GAME FROM HIM !

Doc is a CLASS ACT. Before you bash someone because he forgot two
little letters in a post or decides he'd rather discuss price in
person, which is his business to do so, know who you're talking about.
Get to know someone before you try to ruin his reputation, you ass.
Anyone who knows Doc knows he's one of the good guys. When you do
something anywhere near as 'generous' as Doc does for lots of people
let us know. I for one am all ears.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:10:27 AM

just cuz he didn't post a price here don't mean he doesn't have one.

i post stuff for sale here all the time without a price if you want to
buy it i'll tell you the price.

i do this cuz i don't want bs input from someone that has no intention
of buying it not cuz i am trying to hide something.

in cotrast when i post an add on mrpinball i always put a price on it

and btw if you want a straight deal i have pins for sale and OT i have
a pop machine forsale.
no jacking around here i'll give you a price and you can take it or
keep walking.

www.kansascitypinball.com goto "stuff for sale or trade"
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:20:00 AM

he justed asked for a price....gheez
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:36:47 AM

No Doug didn't ask for a price - the other guy did and that was fine.
I'm sure Doc would have emailed him with a price ASAP. Doug wrote
'Guess he figures that he can set the price once he feels out who he's
dealing with' which is just another example of someone sticking thier
negativity where it doesn't belong about someone he doesn't know. As
the other guy said if he has no interest in ball bowlers why's he
reading the post to begin with ? Either A) to bust someone's chops he
doesn't even know personally or B) to add absolutely nothing
constructive or positive to the thread. Alot of people like to hear
themselves talk -helps their egos I gues. Keep picking on the good
guys and soon there won't be any, you knuckleheads.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 4:27:35 AM

Personally I totally ignore anyones opinion who bashes someone for
posting a price on what they are trying to sell. The problem isn't with
the person posting the item for sale its with the other person thinking
that their post can influence someone to lower their price. I've never
commented on anyone for posting things for sale when I know that they
have totally overpriced their item. I guess I've grown tired of reading
Docs posts about the bowlers he has for sale in the past but never
including the price of them in the post and then seeing people ask "how
much?" to only have their post go silent. To read the post you get the
impression that he just forgot to put it in. I'm sure others would like
to know the price too without having to go through the trouble of
calling. He has no problem putting the price in a for sale post for
parts which is great because then I have some idea of what replacement
parts will cost should I ever decide to buy a bowler. But then again if
I don't know how much the machine costs in the 1st place then how do I
know if I can afford it?

Doug
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 5:16:21 AM

Your right. I have nothing better to do than to go after someone who
ignores the way things are done around here and has been doing it for
quite awhile now. I don't need to bolster my ego by putting my charity
cases up for others to see. I believe that charity is meant to be
anonymous and I prefer to keep what I've done for others that way.
Besides being charitable doesn't mean I have to help others with their
pinball, video game or ball bowler problems. There's plenty of other
ways to be charitable. You should be glad that he took pity on you and
came out there to help you. I guess you'll be going to him for
parts/help from now on won't you?

Doug
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:42:44 PM

you know, if a price was posted this thread would be none...
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 11:15:33 AM

> time bashing someone for something that YOU don't like. The board is
> FREE and so is this advise.....if you don't like it don't read it....if

You know, that works both ways.. if you don't like his replies, don't
read them. Also, the issue isn't whether he sells his stuff here, it's
about him mislabeling his posts. People expect to see a price in a
'For Sale' post (as opposed to a 'For Auction' or 'Fishing for Offers'
post). He doesn't care, as shown by his earlier smarmy comments, hence
the complaints. Doug isn't the only one annoyed by his use of the
newsgroup.

> and keep your childish temper tantrums to yourself.

July 22, 2005 11:49:07 AM

Hmmmm....sounds like a close friend of Dougs.

The post was NOT a rant. Mislabeling? " For Sale " is not mislabeling,
just because
the price isn't listed, nor is it misleading. The item is for sale and
contact information
is listed.

"He doesn't care, as shown by his earlier smarmy comments" I would
think that he does care by his comments that someone is trying to
belittle him because he doesn't post a price for his items.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:41:41 PM

> "He doesn't care, as shown by his earlier smarmy comments" I would
> think that he does care by his comments that someone is trying to
> belittle him because he doesn't post a price for his items.

...as he belittles us by posting 'don't ask for price unless you just
need typing practice' nonsense.

Respect works both ways. He might be good at reconditioning bowlers,
but his USENET etiquette leaves a bit to be desired. He is, of course,
free to ignore criticism directed his way and continue to post stuff
for sale that isn't quite for sale.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:07:15 PM

I guess the 10 yrs that I have spent on line make me just a bit stupid
since I don't see how
you and Doug decide who can use what venue and how it is used. Your
etiquette leaves a lot
to be desired sir.

"He is, of course, free to ignore criticism directed his way and
continue to post stuff
for sale that isn't quite for sale. " Did I miss something in the
post? Is the item not
being listed for sale on a site for recreation items? I don't see that
is says FREE or AUCTION or
FISHING FOR PRICE, I see FOR SALE.

You can continue your rantings and your belittling of someone who
appears to ignore your disrepect and
goes on about his business, as will I. To all of you GET A CLUE!!!

JM
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:44:46 PM

Everything your bringing up here has been pointed out before but i'll
do it again since you seem new here and aren't familiar with reading
"rec.games". Someone saw the need to give pinball their own group. I
wholeheartedly thank them for this as it has brought me closer to
others in this hobby and has made it more enjoyable. 2nd, Doc has been
posting here long enough to know how "off topic" and "for sale" posts
are to be handled. Given his responses on this he simply does not care.
All he's concerned with is getting the word out that he has something
for sale. In my opinion this shows lack of courtesy to others in the
group who do follow how the group likes things to be posted. If
anything i'd say that putting the price of said for sale item in the
post it would keep people who really aren't looking for one from
calling and the people that are could get through. As far as saying i'm
disrespecting him I really dont think that I am. I've grown tired of
reading posts that are written well but don't include that one key
piece of information that im sure others would be interested in knowing
but haven't spoken up which is the price.

Doug
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:58:23 PM

JimmyM wrote:

> I guess the 10 yrs that I have spent on line make me just a bit stupid

This thread is the first time you've ever posted to RGP, Jimmy. Doc,
Metallik and Doug have been around here for awhile and know the ropes,
or at least they should. You will, too, if you hang out for a bit. A
"for sale" post on RGP needs to have four things: a name, a description
("mint" or "near mint"), a location, and a price. Leave out any of the
four, and there will be follow up posts asking for them. If you leave
them out AND tell the newsgroup that you don't need to provide no
stinkin' prices in your "for sale" ads, then expect to receive some
criticism for bucking the establishment.

The posts that truly amaze me are the ones that say, "Hey, this seller
is one of the good guys, so cut him some slack," meaning that the rules
that apply to everyone else shouldn't apply to them. The recent thread
about the seller who has been holding a grand of someone else's money
for more than a year without sending the product had several of these
posts. Have we become so fearful of losing parts and game sources that
we are willing to give sellers a free pass to behave as poorly as they
wish? There are some genuinely great sellers on RGP. While Doc may
be a great seller elsewhere, he's not one on RGP, IMO. Good guys and
great sellers abide by the rules.

- Josh A.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:04:28 PM

Since my posts to this board are "new" and I don't know the rules, is
there somewhere that
these quoted rules about listing and posting can be read?
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:29:20 PM

JimmyM wrote:
> I guess the 10 yrs that I have spent on line make me just a bit stupid
> since I don't see how
> you and Doug decide who can use what venue and how it is used. Your
> etiquette leaves a lot
> to be desired sir.

Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. I specifically
said he was free to ignore us. I was merely pointing out that I and
others find his "for sale" posts without any prices, along with his
snide remarks, to be annoying.

Has he hired you to be his cheerleader or something?

> You can continue your rantings and your belittling of someone who
> appears to ignore your disrepect and
> goes on about his business, as will I. To all of you GET A CLUE!!!

My rantings? :)  Hey, "get a clue" and look up rant in the dictionary.
After that, look up "irony".
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:31:15 PM

Yes, they are in the FAQ for this newsgroup. A
Google search for "FAQ" for this group, should
turn up a copy. Same goes for any other usnet
group. ;)

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8