Boot.ini is missing but still able to boot correctly

As far as I know boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com are vital for XP to boot
correctly. A few days ago I was working on a computer, during the boot
process I noticed a message stating "invalid entry in boot.ini". I decided
to check it out but there was no boot.ini !!
ntldr and ntdetect.com are present. My Question is there a way that ntldr
can bypass the boot.ini file ???

Rik
8 answers Last reply
More about boot missing boot correctly

    "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages
    when you start your computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Ben Kwatta" <unknown@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > As far as I know boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com are vital for XP to boot
    > correctly. A few days ago I was working on a computer, during the boot
    > process I noticed a message stating "invalid entry in boot.ini". I
    decided
    > to check it out but there was no boot.ini !!

    I believe it's a hidden file.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:43:54 +0200, "Ben Kwatta" <unknown@nospam.net>
    wrote:

    > As far as I know boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com are vital for XP to boot
    > correctly. A few days ago I was working on a computer, during the boot
    > process I noticed a message stating "invalid entry in boot.ini". I decided
    > to check it out but there was no boot.ini !!
    > ntldr and ntdetect.com are present. My Question is there a way that ntldr
    > can bypass the boot.ini file ???
    >
    > Rik

    To see "boot.ini", Folder View settings must be set to enable viewing
    hidden and system folders.

    Also, perhaps you are looking in the wrong place. "boot.ini" will be
    found in "C:\" if you have multi-booted with other versions of
    Windows.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that conversations may be kept in order

    Hide system files is UNchecked.......Like I said...ntldr and Ntdetect.com
    are there...in the root of C:\.....

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:31:13 +0200, "Ben Kwatta" <unknown@nospam.net>
    wrote:

    > Hide system files is UNchecked.......Like I said...ntldr and Ntdetect.com
    > are there...in the root of C:\.....
    > Rik
    > "Ben Kwatta" <unknown@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > As far as I know boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com are vital for XP to boot
    > > correctly. A few days ago I was working on a computer, during the boot
    > > process I noticed a message stating "invalid entry in boot.ini". I
    > decided
    > > to check it out but there was no boot.ini !!
    > > ntldr and ntdetect.com are present. My Question is there a way that ntldr
    > > can bypass the boot.ini file ???
    > >
    > > Rik

    Have you done a THOROUGH search of your HD for boot.ini?
    Also, which bootloader are you using? XP's, or an other one.
    Are you SURE you are using XP's boot loader?

    As far as I know, XP will not boot if boot.ini is missing, since
    boot.ini tells the bootloader WHERE to find your installation of
    XP.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that conversations may be kept in order

    boot.ini should be in C:\

    Start | Run | Paste this in the box:

    %homedrive%\boot.ini

    Click OK.
    boot.ini should open.
    -----

    See if you have a boot.ini.backup in C:\WINDOWS\pss

    Start | Run | Paste this in the box:

    %windir%\pss\boot.ini.backup

    Click OK.
    If there is one, boot.ini.backup should open.

    If you cannot find boot.ini and you do find boot.ini.backup. Copy
    boot.ini.backup and rename the copy boot.ini and move it to C:
    -----

    Another way to get to the boot.ini....
    Open System Properties
    Start | Run | Paste this in the box:

    control Sysdm.cpl,System,3

    Click OK | Click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery |
    Click the Edit buton

    Clicking the Edit button opens %homedrive%\boot.ini

    HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:430776fe$0$11062$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl,
    Ben Kwatta <unknown@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:

    wrote:

    >Hide system files is UNchecked.......Like I said...ntldr and Ntdetect.com
    >are there...in the root of C:\.....

    It may be that NTLDR will "guess" the default path if it finds no
    Boot.ini; I seem to remember similar mileage with Win9x when no
    Winboot.ini nor MSDOS.sys were present.

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

    There have been a few posts to this newsgroup saying that XP booted with a
    incorrect or missing boot.ini.
    --
    Ron Sommer

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
    message news:e99fg1pv4gfd50hvd2t58vgduf1362n7bl@4ax.com...
    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:31:13 +0200, "Ben Kwatta" <unknown@nospam.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hide system files is UNchecked.......Like I said...ntldr and Ntdetect.com
    >>are there...in the root of C:\.....
    >
    > It may be that NTLDR will "guess" the default path if it finds no
    > Boot.ini; I seem to remember similar mileage with Win9x when no
    > Winboot.ini nor MSDOS.sys were present.

    > Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    > better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

Microsoft Boot Ntldr Windows XP