Inspiron 8600 DVD not responding

My Inspiron 8600 w/ comb. CD/DVD-RW drive has only been used to
play and burn CDs since I purchased it 13 mos. ago. When I
rented a DVD and tried to play it, rec'd the following error msg:

"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because a compatible DVD
decoder is not installed on your computer."

This sounds to me like they might not have installed the correct DVD
drive but I feel like I might be stabbing in the dark, at this point.

A little guidance would be appreciated.

David

Sounds like you dont have any software installed to view
dvd movies (like win dvd). If you have reinstalled windows
at any point this would be a separate cd that came with your
computer that would need to be installed. (power dvd or win dvd...etc).
There are multiple free players that will play commecial dvds also.
I guarantee you your computer came with one though (on a separate cd).
Hope this helps.
Dave

On 2 Feb 2005 19:45:24 -0800, "David" <davids165@juno.com> wrote:

>Sounds like you dont have any software installed to view
>dvd movies (like win dvd). If you have reinstalled windows
>at any point this would be a separate cd that came with your
>computer that would need to be installed. (power dvd or win dvd...etc).
>There are multiple free players that will play commecial dvds also.
>I guarantee you your computer came with one though (on a separate cd).
>Hope this helps.
>Dave

Dave,
Thanks for the help. Yes, XP was actually reinstalled (commercially)
after the orig. harddrive became defective. What a relief.

hb

I had the same issue..tried downloading InterActual player ...didn't
help...just did Windows Media Player 10 update and both InterActual and
Windows Player now working.