how do I get items out of the systray like speech tools and windows messenger

f wrote:

> how do I get items out of the systray like speech tools and windows
> messenger

First of all, you should be concerned, not with what icons appear in the
system tray, but with *all* the programs that start automatically when you
boot. Although many such programs manifest themselves by an icon in the
tray, not all do.
On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its Options to
see if it has the choice not to start. Many can easily and best be stopped
that way. If that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and
on the Startup tab, uncheck the programs you don't want to start
automatically.

However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose of running
the minimum number of programs. Despite what many people tell you, you
should be concerned, not with how *many* of these programs you run, but
*which*. Some of them can hurt performance severely, but others have no
effect on performance.

Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you should do is
determine what each program is, what its value is to you, and what the cost
in performance is of its running all the time. You can get more information
about these with at http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't
find it there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.

Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent informed
decision about what you want to keep and what you want to get rid of.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

f wrote:
> how do I get items out of the systray like speech tools and windows messenger

The icons in the systray are controlled by the individual
applications/functions that place the icons there. Typically, there
would be a place in the function's UI where you can select for the icon
to either be present or not.