Dell Form Faxtor

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

Can someone tell me what form factor the Dell 8200 mother board is? Is it Dell's own
form factor or is it something standard like ATX, etc? My 8200 doesn't have SATA
support and doesn't have USB 2.0 ports on it. When I asked Dell sales if they sold
individual mother boards, they said they did, but only for an identical replacement,
not for upgrading the mother board. I would like to include the above capabilities
in my PC but do not have the spare PCI slots for the required boards. If I can find
a third party mother board that would fit in my Dell case then I will consider
upgrading that way.

--
Roy

tonys

buy a new standard case and a standard atx motherboard that you want...and
NEVER had to worry about not being upgradeable again...

"Roy" <qrm5qrt@whoopie.org> wrote in message
> Can someone tell me what form factor the Dell 8200 mother board is? Is it
> Dell's own form factor or is it something standard like ATX, etc? My 8200
> doesn't have SATA support and doesn't have USB 2.0 ports on it. When I
> asked Dell sales if they sold individual mother boards, they said they
> did, but only for an identical replacement, not for upgrading the mother
> board. I would like to include the above capabilities in my PC but do not
> have the spare PCI slots for the required boards. If I can find a third
> party mother board that would fit in my Dell case then I will consider
> upgrading that way.
>
> --
> Roy

The Dimension 8200 motherboard uses a standard ATX-12V Pentium 4 power
connector, and the dimensions and slot placement are standard ATX, but that's
where the standard-ness stops.

Obstacles to the replacement of the motherboard with anything except another
Dell board:
1. USB front panel connector is non-standard.
2. Connector and wiring harness to other front panel items (on-off, LEDs) is
non-standard.
3. Mounting of board on metal plate is non-standard.
4. 3-pin connector for fan on back of case is non-standard.

The first three Items are show-stoppers for me. My advice? Don't mess with it.
You're better off finding a newer Dell Dimension 8xxx or 4xxx board as a
replacement. The RAMBUS memory in your system would likely be replaced along
with the motherboard... Ben Myers

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:48:01 GMT, Roy <qrm5qrt@whoopie.org> wrote:

>Can someone tell me what form factor the Dell 8200 mother board is? Is it Dell's own
>form factor or is it something standard like ATX, etc? My 8200 doesn't have SATA
>support and doesn't have USB 2.0 ports on it. When I asked Dell sales if they sold
>individual mother boards, they said they did, but only for an identical replacement,
>not for upgrading the mother board. I would like to include the above capabilities
>in my PC but do not have the spare PCI slots for the required boards. If I can find
>a third party mother board that would fit in my Dell case then I will consider
>upgrading that way.
>
>--
>Roy

It is an Indian form factor.
> The Dimension 8200 motherboard uses a standard ATX-12V Pentium 4 power
> connector, and the dimensions and slot placement are standard ATX, but
> that's
> where the standard-ness stops.
>
> Obstacles to the replacement of the motherboard with anything except
> another
> Dell board:
> 1. USB front panel connector is non-standard.
> 2. Connector and wiring harness to other front panel items (on-off, LEDs)
> is
> non-standard.
> 3. Mounting of board on metal plate is non-standard.
> 4. 3-pin connector for fan on back of case is non-standard.
>
> The first three Items are show-stoppers for me. My advice? Don't mess
> with it.
> You're better off finding a newer Dell Dimension 8xxx or 4xxx board as a
> replacement. The RAMBUS memory in your system would likely be replaced
> along
> with the motherboard... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:48:01 GMT, Roy <qrm5qrt@whoopie.org> wrote:
>
>>Can someone tell me what form factor the Dell 8200 mother board is? Is it
>>Dell's own
>>form factor or is it something standard like ATX, etc? My 8200 doesn't
>>have SATA
>>support and doesn't have USB 2.0 ports on it. When I asked Dell sales if
>>they sold
>>individual mother boards, they said they did, but only for an identical
>>replacement,
>>not for upgrading the mother board. I would like to include the above
>>capabilities
>>in my PC but do not have the spare PCI slots for the required boards. If
>>I can find
>>a third party mother board that would fit in my Dell case then I will
>>consider
>>upgrading that way.
>>
>>--
>>Roy

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

Roy wrote:

> Can someone tell me what form factor the Dell 8200 mother board is? Is
> it Dell's own form factor or is it something standard like ATX, etc? My
> 8200 doesn't have SATA support and doesn't have USB 2.0 ports on it.
> When I asked Dell sales if they sold individual mother boards, they said
> they did, but only for an identical replacement, not for upgrading the
> mother board. I would like to include the above capabilities in my PC
> but do not have the spare PCI slots for the required boards. If I can
> find a third party mother board that would fit in my Dell case then I
> will consider upgrading that way.

Thanks to all. Yep, I may just build the next one if I can't find an 8400, etc
board. It's a shame Dell won't help out on this. I bought the 8200 and relatively
soon afterward the SATA and 2.0 USB showed up.

--
Roy

The 8300 is the last board to use an ATX power supply like your 8200.

The 8400 systems use the newer BTX power connector.

> Roy wrote:
>
>> Can someone tell me what form factor the Dell 8200 mother board is? Is
>> it Dell's own form factor or is it something standard like ATX, etc? My
>> 8200 doesn't have SATA support and doesn't have USB 2.0 ports on it.
>> When I asked Dell sales if they sold individual mother boards, they said
>> they did, but only for an identical replacement, not for upgrading the
>> mother board. I would like to include the above capabilities in my PC
>> but do not have the spare PCI slots for the required boards. If I can
>> find a third party mother board that would fit in my Dell case then I
>> will consider upgrading that way.
>>
> Thanks to all. Yep, I may just build the next one if I can't find an
> 8400, etc board. It's a shame Dell won't help out on this. I bought the
> 8200 and relatively soon afterward the SATA and 2.0 USB showed up.
>
> --
> Roy

Why not buy a PCI USB2 card and/or a SATA controller card and save some
money?

Stew

I wouldn't give the Indians credit for the form factor, just their inconsistent
and often mediocre customer service. Give some Dell engineers in Austin credit
for cobbling up a standard motherboard design to be almost impossible to replace
with anything except another Dell board... Ben Myers

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:05:24 -0500, "Aaron P." <aaronprevoustno@skybest.com>
wrote:

>It is an Indian form factor.
>> The Dimension 8200 motherboard uses a standard ATX-12V Pentium 4 power
>> connector, and the dimensions and slot placement are standard ATX, but
>> that's
>> where the standard-ness stops.
>>
>> Obstacles to the replacement of the motherboard with anything except
>> another
>> Dell board:
>> 1. USB front panel connector is non-standard.
>> 2. Connector and wiring harness to other front panel items (on-off, LEDs)
>> is
>> non-standard.
>> 3. Mounting of board on metal plate is non-standard.
>> 4. 3-pin connector for fan on back of case is non-standard.
>>
>> The first three Items are show-stoppers for me. My advice? Don't mess
>> with it.
>> You're better off finding a newer Dell Dimension 8xxx or 4xxx board as a
>> replacement. The RAMBUS memory in your system would likely be replaced
>> along
>> with the motherboard... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:48:01 GMT, Roy <qrm5qrt@whoopie.org> wrote:
>>
>>>Can someone tell me what form factor the Dell 8200 mother board is? Is it
>>>Dell's own
>>>form factor or is it something standard like ATX, etc? My 8200 doesn't
>>>have SATA
>>>support and doesn't have USB 2.0 ports on it. When I asked Dell sales if
>>>they sold
>>>individual mother boards, they said they did, but only for an identical
>>>replacement,
>>>not for upgrading the mother board. I would like to include the above
>>>capabilities
>>>in my PC but do not have the spare PCI slots for the required boards. If
>>>I can find
>>>a third party mother board that would fit in my Dell case then I will
>>>consider
>>>upgrading that way.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Roy

Dell is no different than any other name-brand computer company. Their business
model is to sell whole computers and some over-priced upgrades for which the
price is supposedly justified by the presence of an official Dell decal on a
generic part. When it comes to motherboard surgery, you are on your own with
Dell, IBM, HPaq, and eMachines-Gateway.

The difference with Dell's P4 systems compared to the other mentioned brand
names is that the motherboard and chassis are decidedly proprietary, whereas the
others are essentially standard form factors and standard connectors.

... Ben Myers

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 19:58:33 GMT, Roy <qrm5qrt@whoopie.org> wrote:

>Roy wrote:
>
>> Can someone tell me what form factor the Dell 8200 mother board is? Is
>> it Dell's own form factor or is it something standard like ATX, etc? My
>> 8200 doesn't have SATA support and doesn't have USB 2.0 ports on it.
>> When I asked Dell sales if they sold individual mother boards, they said
>> they did, but only for an identical replacement, not for upgrading the
>> mother board. I would like to include the above capabilities in my PC
>> but do not have the spare PCI slots for the required boards. If I can
>> find a third party mother board that would fit in my Dell case then I
>> will consider upgrading that way.
>>
>Thanks to all. Yep, I may just build the next one if I can't find an 8400, etc
>board. It's a shame Dell won't help out on this. I bought the 8200 and relatively
>soon afterward the SATA and 2.0 USB showed up.
>
>--
>Roy

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

S.Lewis wrote:
> "Roy" <qrm5qrt@whoopie.org> wrote in message
>
>>Roy wrote:
>>

>>>Can someone tell me what form factor the Dell 8200 mother board is? Is
>>>it Dell's own form factor or is it something standard like ATX, etc? My
>>>8200 doesn't have SATA support and doesn't have USB 2.0 ports on it.
>>>When I asked Dell sales if they sold individual mother boards, they said
>>>they did, but only for an identical replacement, not for upgrading the
>>>mother board. I would like to include the above capabilities in my PC
>>>but do not have the spare PCI slots for the required boards. If I can
>>>find a third party mother board that would fit in my Dell case then I
>>>will consider upgrading that way.
>>>

>>Thanks to all. Yep, I may just build the next one if I can't find an
>>8400, etc board. It's a shame Dell won't help out on this. I bought the
>>8200 and relatively soon afterward the SATA and 2.0 USB showed up.
>>
>>--
>>Roy
>

> Why not buy a PCI USB2 card and/or a SATA controller card and save some
> money?
>

> Stew

I may have to do that but I have the PCI slots filled just now. I may have to
sacrifice one slot for the SATA controller and just stay with the USB 1.1.

--
Roy

No personal experience and I am sure there are others, but here's a combo
SATA, Firewire, USB2 card.

http://www.siig.com/product.asp?pid=476

Tom
> S.Lewis wrote:
>> "Roy" <qrm5qrt@whoopie.org> wrote in message

>>>Thanks to all. Yep, I may just build the next one if I can't find an
>>>8400, etc board. It's a shame Dell won't help out on this. I bought the
>>>8200 and relatively soon afterward the SATA and 2.0 USB showed up.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Roy
>>

>> Why not buy a PCI USB2 card and/or a SATA controller card and save some
>> money?
>>

>> Stew
> I may have to do that but I have the PCI slots filled just now. I may
> have to sacrifice one slot for the SATA controller and just stay with the
> USB 1.1.
>
> --
> Roy

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

Tom Scales wrote:

> No personal experience and I am sure there are others, but here's a combo
> SATA, Firewire, USB2 card.
>
> http://www.siig.com/product.asp?pid=476
>
> Tom
> "Roy" <qrm5qrt@whoopie.org> wrote in message
>
>>S.Lewis wrote:
>>
>>>"Roy" <qrm5qrt@whoopie.org> wrote in message

>>>Why not buy a PCI USB2 card and/or a SATA controller card and save some
>>>money?
>>>

>>>Stew
>>
>>I may have to do that but I have the PCI slots filled just now. I may
>>have to sacrifice one slot for the SATA controller and just stay with the
>>USB 1.1.
>>
>>--
>>Roy

Thanks Tom. Looks like just what I need.

--
Roy