unable to delete cookies thru "tools"

Babs

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

I regularly click on the tools button to delete temp. files and cookies while
on the internet to prevent my computer from slowing down. However, it does
get slow, so I go to disk cleanup and it shows thousands (like 20thousand or
more) temporary files to clean and shows them as locked. How can I fix this?
I use Windows XP.

Manually delete temp file withe smaller number of entries one by one.
Make your computer to see the hidden files.
Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Temp and
....\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\ directory and clean the entries
manually.
--
Regards,
Pramit Roy

"Babs" wrote:

> I regularly click on the tools button to delete temp. files and cookies while
> on the internet to prevent my computer from slowing down. However, it does
> get slow, so I go to disk cleanup and it shows thousands (like 20thousand or
> more) temporary files to clean and shows them as locked. How can I fix this?
> I use Windows XP.

You could logoff and restart windows, making sure you do not re-use your browser. Then immediately run Disk Cleanup.

You need to be sure to delete your temp internet cache files on a regular & consistent basis.
I.E. Tools>Internet Options >Advanced --scroll list.
Advanced Tab>>Security sub-section:
"Enable" (click on to activate or tick) "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed".

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Babs wrote:
> I regularly click on the tools button to delete temp. files and
> cookies while on the internet to prevent my computer from slowing
> down. However, it does get slow, so I go to disk cleanup and it
> shows thousands (like 20thousand or more) temporary files to clean
> and shows them as locked. How can I fix this? I use Windows XP.

Hi Maurice
How about the xml files? Do I delete them too.
Thanks

Babs wrote:
> I regularly click on the tools button to delete temp. files and
> cookies while on the internet to prevent my computer from slowing
> down. However, it does get slow, so I go to disk cleanup and it
> shows thousands (like 20thousand or more) temporary files to clean
> and shows them as locked. How can I fix this? I use Windows XP.

Daniel,
If they are in aTemp folder or a Temporary Internet Files folder, yes you should remove them.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User