unable to delete cookies thru "tools"

I regularly click on the tools button to delete temp. files and cookies while
on the internet to prevent my computer from slowing down. However, it does
get slow, so I go to disk cleanup and it shows thousands (like 20thousand or
more) temporary files to clean and shows them as locked. How can I fix this?
I use Windows XP.
4 answers Last reply
More about unable delete cookies tools

    Manually delete temp file withe smaller number of entries one by one.
    Make your computer to see the hidden files.
    Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Temp and
    ....\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\ directory and clean the entries
    manually.
    --
    Regards,
    Pramit Roy

    "Babs" wrote:

    > I regularly click on the tools button to delete temp. files and cookies while
    > on the internet to prevent my computer from slowing down. However, it does
    > get slow, so I go to disk cleanup and it shows thousands (like 20thousand or
    > more) temporary files to clean and shows them as locked. How can I fix this?
    > I use Windows XP.

    You could logoff and restart windows, making sure you do not re-use your browser. Then immediately run Disk Cleanup.

    You need to be sure to delete your temp internet cache files on a regular & consistent basis.
    I.E. Tools>Internet Options >Advanced --scroll list.
    Advanced Tab>>Security sub-section:
    "Enable" (click on to activate or tick) "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed".

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Babs wrote:
    > I regularly click on the tools button to delete temp. files and
    > cookies while on the internet to prevent my computer from slowing
    > down. However, it does get slow, so I go to disk cleanup and it
    > shows thousands (like 20thousand or more) temporary files to clean
    > and shows them as locked. How can I fix this? I use Windows XP.

    Hi Maurice
    How about the xml files? Do I delete them too.
    Thanks

    Babs wrote:
    > I regularly click on the tools button to delete temp. files and
    > cookies while on the internet to prevent my computer from slowing
    > down. However, it does get slow, so I go to disk cleanup and it
    > shows thousands (like 20thousand or more) temporary files to clean
    > and shows them as locked. How can I fix this? I use Windows XP.

    Daniel,
    If they are in aTemp folder or a Temporary Internet Files folder, yes you should remove them.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    daniel chen wrote:
    > Hi Maurice
    > How about the xml files? Do I delete them too.
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > You could logoff and restart windows, making sure you do not re-use
    > your browser. Then immediately run Disk Cleanup.
    >
    > You need to be sure to delete your temp internet cache files on a
    > regular & consistent basis.
    > I.E. Tools>Internet Options >Advanced --scroll list.
    > Advanced Tab>>Security sub-section:
    > "Enable" (click on to activate or tick) "Empty Temporary Internet
    > Files folder when browser is closed".
    >

    > Babs wrote:
    >> I regularly click on the tools button to delete temp. files and
    >> cookies while on the internet to prevent my computer from slowing
    >> down. However, it does get slow, so I go to disk cleanup and it
    >> shows thousands (like 20thousand or more) temporary files to clean
    >> and shows them as locked. How can I fix this? I use Windows XP.

Cookie Windows XP