Unable to view JPEG attachments in Outlook Express

August 20, 2005 1:15:04 PM

I suddenly find that I am unable to view .jpg file attchments that I receive
on my e-mails -- I am using Outlook Express. When I attempt to view I
receive a message "action is only valid for products that are installed".
I looked thru help and options but unable to find anything to reslove. Any
ideas? Thanks....Dave
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 7:58:55 PM

Can you view other JPE/JPG/JPEG files?

I think that maybe your JPE/JPG/JPEG file association is messed up.

Visit here..

Read the instructions.

Click on:
JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix (Restore the default associations for
jpe/jpg/jpeg files)

xp_jpg_jpe_jpeg_file_assoc_fix.zip is what you'll get.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:39A88F81-A043-49B8-A88E-A2134DF36393@microsoft.com,
05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I suddenly find that I am unable to view .jpg file attchments that I
> receive on my e-mails -- I am using Outlook Express. When I attempt to
> view I receive a message "action is only valid for products that are
> installed".
> I looked thru help and options but unable to find anything to reslove.
> Any ideas? Thanks....Dave
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 7:58:56 PM

Wesley, I ran the fix and I still have the same problem. I was told to run
this fix last week which I did. Last week Windows Explorer was invoking
Adobe Reader when I clicked on a jpeg file. I just checked WIndows Explorer
and it is ok just the Outlook Express 6.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Can you view other JPE/JPG/JPEG files?
>
> I think that maybe your JPE/JPG/JPEG file association is messed up.
>
> Visit here..
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>
> Read the instructions.
>
> Click on:
> JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix (Restore the default associations for
> jpe/jpg/jpeg files)
>
> xp_jpg_jpe_jpeg_file_assoc_fix.zip is what you'll get.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:39A88F81-A043-49B8-A88E-A2134DF36393@microsoft.com,
> 05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I suddenly find that I am unable to view .jpg file attchments that I
> > receive on my e-mails -- I am using Outlook Express. When I attempt to
> > view I receive a message "action is only valid for products that are
> > installed".
> > I looked thru help and options but unable to find anything to reslove.
> > Any ideas? Thanks....Dave

August 20, 2005 9:23:07 PM

How are you trying to view the attached jpgs?

To view a file attachment

In the preview pane, click the paper clip icon in the message header, and
then click the file name.
-or-
At the top of the message window, double-click the file attachment icon in
the message header.

Are you expecting to see them inside the message?

OE | Tools | Options | Read tab | Uncheck Read all messages in plain text |
Apply | OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:5434DFD1-1A44-45B1-BC24-83A0E60F2A36@microsoft.com,
05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley, I ran the fix and I still have the same problem. I was told to
> run this fix last week which I did. Last week Windows Explorer was
> invoking Adobe Reader when I clicked on a jpeg file. I just checked
> WIndows Explorer and it is ok just the Outlook Express 6.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Can you view other JPE/JPG/JPEG files?
>>
>> I think that maybe your JPE/JPG/JPEG file association is messed up.
>>
>> Visit here..
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>>
>> Read the instructions.
>>
>> Click on:
>> JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix (Restore the default associations for
>> jpe/jpg/jpeg files)
>>
>> xp_jpg_jpe_jpeg_file_assoc_fix.zip is what you'll get.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:39A88F81-A043-49B8-A88E-A2134DF36393@microsoft.com,
>> 05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I suddenly find that I am unable to view .jpg file attchments that I
>>> receive on my e-mails -- I am using Outlook Express. When I attempt to
>>> view I receive a message "action is only valid for products that are
>>> installed".
>>> I looked thru help and options but unable to find anything to reslove.
>>> Any ideas? Thanks....Dave
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 9:23:08 PM

I click on the paper clip icon then I double click on the JPG file. This is
how I normally open. I ran into this problem today when I received some
pictures. I just attempted to view some jpegs that I viewed OK last week and
now I can't view.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> How are you trying to view the attached jpgs?
>
> To view a file attachment
>
> In the preview pane, click the paper clip icon in the message header, and
> then click the file name.
> -or-
> At the top of the message window, double-click the file attachment icon in
> the message header.
>
> Are you expecting to see them inside the message?
>
> OE | Tools | Options | Read tab | Uncheck Read all messages in plain text |
> Apply | OK
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:5434DFD1-1A44-45B1-BC24-83A0E60F2A36@microsoft.com,
> 05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Wesley, I ran the fix and I still have the same problem. I was told to
> > run this fix last week which I did. Last week Windows Explorer was
> > invoking Adobe Reader when I clicked on a jpeg file. I just checked
> > WIndows Explorer and it is ok just the Outlook Express 6.
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> Can you view other JPE/JPG/JPEG files?
> >>
> >> I think that maybe your JPE/JPG/JPEG file association is messed up.
> >>
> >> Visit here..
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
> >>
> >> Read the instructions.
> >>
> >> Click on:
> >> JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix (Restore the default associations for
> >> jpe/jpg/jpeg files)
> >>
> >> xp_jpg_jpe_jpeg_file_assoc_fix.zip is what you'll get.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:39A88F81-A043-49B8-A88E-A2134DF36393@microsoft.com,
> >> 05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:16:11 PM

Let me recap here.

You had a file association problem with JPG files.

You downloaded and ran Doug Knox's fix.

That fixed the problem.

You now can open any JPG file on your machine except the ones that are
attached to OE messages.

You can save the attached jpgs and then open them.

Tools| Options| Security | clear the check box for Block images and other
external content in HTML e-mail | Apply | OK

Tools | Options | Security | Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened
that could potentially be a virus | Apply | OK

You try to open jpg attachments, they do not open and you get an error
message that says: action is only valid for products that are installed.

That about right?

Does this only happen with one message and the attached jpgs? Or more than
one message and attached jpgs?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:4DA75A10-77E1-432B-B476-D063C7CE4B1C@microsoft.com,
05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I click on the paper clip icon then I double click on the JPG file. This
> is how I normally open. I ran into this problem today when I received
> some pictures. I just attempted to view some jpegs that I viewed OK last
> week and now I can't view.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> How are you trying to view the attached jpgs?
>>
>> To view a file attachment
>>
>> In the preview pane, click the paper clip icon in the message header, and
>> then click the file name.
>> -or-
>> At the top of the message window, double-click the file attachment icon
>> in the message header.
>>
>> Are you expecting to see them inside the message?
>>
>> OE | Tools | Options | Read tab | Uncheck Read all messages in plain
>> text | Apply | OK
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:5434DFD1-1A44-45B1-BC24-83A0E60F2A36@microsoft.com,
>> 05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Wesley, I ran the fix and I still have the same problem. I was told to
>>> run this fix last week which I did. Last week Windows Explorer was
>>> invoking Adobe Reader when I clicked on a jpeg file. I just checked
>>> WIndows Explorer and it is ok just the Outlook Express 6.

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:16:12 PM

Yes, you got it right. It happens to all e-mails that have jpegs attached.
I even sent one to myself and same results. It kind of like drives me nuts.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Let me recap here.
>
> You had a file association problem with JPG files.
>
> You downloaded and ran Doug Knox's fix.
>
> That fixed the problem.
>
> You now can open any JPG file on your machine except the ones that are
> attached to OE messages.
>
> You can save the attached jpgs and then open them.
>
> Tools| Options| Security | clear the check box for Block images and other
> external content in HTML e-mail | Apply | OK
>
> Tools | Options | Security | Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened
> that could potentially be a virus | Apply | OK
>
> You try to open jpg attachments, they do not open and you get an error
> message that says: action is only valid for products that are installed.
>
> That about right?
>
> Does this only happen with one message and the attached jpgs? Or more than
> one message and attached jpgs?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:4DA75A10-77E1-432B-B476-D063C7CE4B1C@microsoft.com,
> 05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I click on the paper clip icon then I double click on the JPG file. This
> > is how I normally open. I ran into this problem today when I received
> > some pictures. I just attempted to view some jpegs that I viewed OK last
> > week and now I can't view.
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> How are you trying to view the attached jpgs?
> >>
> >> To view a file attachment
> >>
> >> In the preview pane, click the paper clip icon in the message header, and
> >> then click the file name.
> >> -or-
> >> At the top of the message window, double-click the file attachment icon
> >> in the message header.
> >>
> >> Are you expecting to see them inside the message?
> >>
> >> OE | Tools | Options | Read tab | Uncheck Read all messages in plain
> >> text | Apply | OK
> >>

> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:5434DFD1-1A44-45B1-BC24-83A0E60F2A36@microsoft.com,
> >> 05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 2:46:21 AM

05MustangGT Wrote:
> I suddenly find that I am unable to view .jpg file attchments that I
> receive
> on my e-mails -- I am using Outlook Express. When I attempt to view
> receive a message "action is only valid for products that are
> installed".
> I looked thru help and options but unable to find anything to reslove.
> Any
> ideas? Thanks....Dave

Hey Dave

I am not too familiar with Outlook Express but I will try my best.
First off, try saving the file and then opening from there instead of
directly opening it from the attachment itself.

I found a Microsoft Article relating to this problem but the steps are
very long and includes editing the registry, which if you are not to
familiar with, I wouldn't even touch it.
http://tinyurl.com/6jxqm

Lastly, try force Outlook Express to re-register its files types.
1. Quit Outlook Express
2. Start and then Run
3. C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe /reg

If all else fails, try using another program. I saw alot of suggestions
from other people they people should give Thunderbird a try.

Good luck

--
Evolution54
Anonymous

I can save the attachments and then view without problems. Just have the
problem when I click on the paper clip then double click the file. I will
not attempt the registry. I did do the re-register but no cigar. Thanks!!
Dave

"Evolution54" wrote:

> 05MustangGT Wrote:
> > I suddenly find that I am unable to view .jpg file attchments that I
> > receive
> > on my e-mails -- I am using Outlook Express. When I attempt to view
> > receive a message "action is only valid for products that are
> > installed".
> > I looked thru help and options but unable to find anything to reslove.
> > Any
> > ideas? Thanks....Dave
>
> Hey Dave
>
> I am not too familiar with Outlook Express but I will try my best.
> First off, try saving the file and then opening from there instead of
> directly opening it from the attachment itself.
>
> I found a Microsoft Article relating to this problem but the steps are
> very long and includes editing the registry, which if you are not to
> familiar with, I wouldn't even touch it.
> http://tinyurl.com/6jxqm
>
> Lastly, try force Outlook Express to re-register its files types.
> 1. Quit Outlook Express
> 2. Start and then Run
> 3. C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe /reg
>
> If all else fails, try using another program. I saw alot of suggestions
> from other people they people should give Thunderbird a try.
> http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
>
> Good luck
>

> --
> Evolution54

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 2:46:22 AM

Tools | Options | Security. Remove the check from "Block Images........."

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Evolution54" <Evolution54.1u36e3@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> 05MustangGT Wrote:
>> I suddenly find that I am unable to view .jpg file attchments that I
>> receive
>> on my e-mails -- I am using Outlook Express. When I attempt to view
>> receive a message "action is only valid for products that are
>> installed".
>> I looked thru help and options but unable to find anything to reslove.
>> Any
>> ideas? Thanks....Dave
>
> Hey Dave
>
> I am not too familiar with Outlook Express but I will try my best.
> First off, try saving the file and then opening from there instead of
> directly opening it from the attachment itself.
>
> I found a Microsoft Article relating to this problem but the steps are
> very long and includes editing the registry, which if you are not to
> familiar with, I wouldn't even touch it.
> http://tinyurl.com/6jxqm
>
> Lastly, try force Outlook Express to re-register its files types.
> 1. Quit Outlook Express
> 2. Start and then Run
> 3. C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe /reg
>
> If all else fails, try using another program. I saw alot of suggestions
> from other people they people should give Thunderbird a try.
> http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
>
> Good luck
>

> --
> Evolution54