Unable to view JPEG attachments in Outlook Express

I suddenly find that I am unable to view .jpg file attchments that I receive
on my e-mails -- I am using Outlook Express. When I attempt to view I
receive a message "action is only valid for products that are installed".
I looked thru help and options but unable to find anything to reslove. Any
ideas? Thanks....Dave
10 answers Last reply
More about unable view jpeg attachments outlook express

    Can you view other JPE/JPG/JPEG files?

    I think that maybe your JPE/JPG/JPEG file association is messed up.

    Visit here..

    Read the instructions.

    Click on:
    JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix (Restore the default associations for
    jpe/jpg/jpeg files)

    xp_jpg_jpe_jpeg_file_assoc_fix.zip is what you'll get.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:39A88F81-A043-49B8-A88E-A2134DF36393@microsoft.com,
    05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I suddenly find that I am unable to view .jpg file attchments that I
    > receive on my e-mails -- I am using Outlook Express. When I attempt to
    > view I receive a message "action is only valid for products that are
    > installed".
    > I looked thru help and options but unable to find anything to reslove.
    > Any ideas? Thanks....Dave

    Wesley, I ran the fix and I still have the same problem. I was told to run
    this fix last week which I did. Last week Windows Explorer was invoking
    Adobe Reader when I clicked on a jpeg file. I just checked WIndows Explorer
    and it is ok just the Outlook Express 6.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Can you view other JPE/JPG/JPEG files?
    >
    > I think that maybe your JPE/JPG/JPEG file association is messed up.
    >
    > Visit here..
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    >
    > Read the instructions.
    >
    > Click on:
    > JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix (Restore the default associations for
    > jpe/jpg/jpeg files)
    >
    > xp_jpg_jpe_jpeg_file_assoc_fix.zip is what you'll get.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:39A88F81-A043-49B8-A88E-A2134DF36393@microsoft.com,
    > 05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I suddenly find that I am unable to view .jpg file attchments that I
    > > receive on my e-mails -- I am using Outlook Express. When I attempt to
    > > view I receive a message "action is only valid for products that are
    > > installed".
    > > I looked thru help and options but unable to find anything to reslove.
    > > Any ideas? Thanks....Dave

    How are you trying to view the attached jpgs?

    To view a file attachment

    In the preview pane, click the paper clip icon in the message header, and
    then click the file name.
    -or-
    At the top of the message window, double-click the file attachment icon in
    the message header.

    Are you expecting to see them inside the message?

    OE | Tools | Options | Read tab | Uncheck Read all messages in plain text |
    Apply | OK

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:5434DFD1-1A44-45B1-BC24-83A0E60F2A36@microsoft.com,
    05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley, I ran the fix and I still have the same problem. I was told to
    > run this fix last week which I did. Last week Windows Explorer was
    > invoking Adobe Reader when I clicked on a jpeg file. I just checked
    > WIndows Explorer and it is ok just the Outlook Express 6.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Can you view other JPE/JPG/JPEG files?
    >>
    >> I think that maybe your JPE/JPG/JPEG file association is messed up.
    >>
    >> Visit here..
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    >>
    >> Read the instructions.
    >>
    >> Click on:
    >> JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix (Restore the default associations for
    >> jpe/jpg/jpeg files)
    >>
    >> xp_jpg_jpe_jpeg_file_assoc_fix.zip is what you'll get.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:39A88F81-A043-49B8-A88E-A2134DF36393@microsoft.com,
    >> 05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I suddenly find that I am unable to view .jpg file attchments that I
    >>> receive on my e-mails -- I am using Outlook Express. When I attempt to
    >>> view I receive a message "action is only valid for products that are
    >>> installed".
    >>> I looked thru help and options but unable to find anything to reslove.
    >>> Any ideas? Thanks....Dave

    I click on the paper clip icon then I double click on the JPG file. This is
    how I normally open. I ran into this problem today when I received some
    pictures. I just attempted to view some jpegs that I viewed OK last week and
    now I can't view.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > How are you trying to view the attached jpgs?
    >
    > To view a file attachment
    >
    > In the preview pane, click the paper clip icon in the message header, and
    > then click the file name.
    > -or-
    > At the top of the message window, double-click the file attachment icon in
    > the message header.
    >
    > Are you expecting to see them inside the message?
    >
    > OE | Tools | Options | Read tab | Uncheck Read all messages in plain text |
    > Apply | OK
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:5434DFD1-1A44-45B1-BC24-83A0E60F2A36@microsoft.com,
    > 05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Wesley, I ran the fix and I still have the same problem. I was told to
    > > run this fix last week which I did. Last week Windows Explorer was
    > > invoking Adobe Reader when I clicked on a jpeg file. I just checked
    > > WIndows Explorer and it is ok just the Outlook Express 6.
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Can you view other JPE/JPG/JPEG files?
    > >>
    > >> I think that maybe your JPE/JPG/JPEG file association is messed up.
    > >>
    > >> Visit here..
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    > >>
    > >> Read the instructions.
    > >>
    > >> Click on:
    > >> JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix (Restore the default associations for
    > >> jpe/jpg/jpeg files)
    > >>
    > >> xp_jpg_jpe_jpeg_file_assoc_fix.zip is what you'll get.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:39A88F81-A043-49B8-A88E-A2134DF36393@microsoft.com,
    > >> 05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Let me recap here.

    You had a file association problem with JPG files.

    You downloaded and ran Doug Knox's fix.

    That fixed the problem.

    You now can open any JPG file on your machine except the ones that are
    attached to OE messages.

    You can save the attached jpgs and then open them.

    Tools| Options| Security | clear the check box for Block images and other
    external content in HTML e-mail | Apply | OK

    Tools | Options | Security | Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened
    that could potentially be a virus | Apply | OK

    You try to open jpg attachments, they do not open and you get an error
    message that says: action is only valid for products that are installed.

    That about right?

    Does this only happen with one message and the attached jpgs? Or more than
    one message and attached jpgs?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:4DA75A10-77E1-432B-B476-D063C7CE4B1C@microsoft.com,
    05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I click on the paper clip icon then I double click on the JPG file. This
    > is how I normally open. I ran into this problem today when I received
    > some pictures. I just attempted to view some jpegs that I viewed OK last
    > week and now I can't view.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> How are you trying to view the attached jpgs?
    >>
    >> To view a file attachment
    >>
    >> In the preview pane, click the paper clip icon in the message header, and
    >> then click the file name.
    >> -or-
    >> At the top of the message window, double-click the file attachment icon
    >> in the message header.
    >>
    >> Are you expecting to see them inside the message?
    >>
    >> OE | Tools | Options | Read tab | Uncheck Read all messages in plain
    >> text | Apply | OK
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:5434DFD1-1A44-45B1-BC24-83A0E60F2A36@microsoft.com,
    >> 05MustangGT <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Wesley, I ran the fix and I still have the same problem. I was told to
    >>> run this fix last week which I did. Last week Windows Explorer was
    >>> invoking Adobe Reader when I clicked on a jpeg file. I just checked
    >>> WIndows Explorer and it is ok just the Outlook Express 6.

    Yes, you got it right. It happens to all e-mails that have jpegs attached.
    I even sent one to myself and same results. It kind of like drives me nuts.

    05MustangGT Wrote:
    > I suddenly find that I am unable to view .jpg file attchments that I
    > receive
    > on my e-mails -- I am using Outlook Express. When I attempt to view
    > receive a message "action is only valid for products that are
    > installed".
    > I looked thru help and options but unable to find anything to reslove.
    > Any
    > ideas? Thanks....Dave

    Hey Dave

    I am not too familiar with Outlook Express but I will try my best.
    First off, try saving the file and then opening from there instead of
    directly opening it from the attachment itself.

    I found a Microsoft Article relating to this problem but the steps are
    very long and includes editing the registry, which if you are not to
    familiar with, I wouldn't even touch it.
    http://tinyurl.com/6jxqm

    Lastly, try force Outlook Express to re-register its files types.
    1. Quit Outlook Express
    2. Start and then Run
    3. C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe /reg

    If all else fails, try using another program. I saw alot of suggestions
    from other people they people should give Thunderbird a try.

    Good luck

    --
    Evolution54

    I can save the attachments and then view without problems. Just have the
    problem when I click on the paper clip then double click the file. I will
    not attempt the registry. I did do the re-register but no cigar. Thanks!!
    Dave

    "Evolution54" wrote:

    > 05MustangGT Wrote:
    > > I suddenly find that I am unable to view .jpg file attchments that I
    > > receive
    > > on my e-mails -- I am using Outlook Express. When I attempt to view
    > > receive a message "action is only valid for products that are
    > > installed".
    > > I looked thru help and options but unable to find anything to reslove.
    > > Any
    > > ideas? Thanks....Dave
    >
    > Hey Dave
    >
    > I am not too familiar with Outlook Express but I will try my best.
    > First off, try saving the file and then opening from there instead of
    > directly opening it from the attachment itself.
    >
    > I found a Microsoft Article relating to this problem but the steps are
    > very long and includes editing the registry, which if you are not to
    > familiar with, I wouldn't even touch it.
    > http://tinyurl.com/6jxqm
    >
    > Lastly, try force Outlook Express to re-register its files types.
    > 1. Quit Outlook Express
    > 2. Start and then Run
    > 3. C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe /reg
    >
    > If all else fails, try using another program. I saw alot of suggestions
    > from other people they people should give Thunderbird a try.
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > --
    > Evolution54

    Tools | Options | Security. Remove the check from "Block Images........."

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Evolution54" <Evolution54.1u36e3@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > 05MustangGT Wrote:
    >> I suddenly find that I am unable to view .jpg file attchments that I
    >> receive
    >> on my e-mails -- I am using Outlook Express. When I attempt to view
    >> receive a message "action is only valid for products that are
    >> installed".
    >> I looked thru help and options but unable to find anything to reslove.
    >> Any
    >> ideas? Thanks....Dave
    >
    > Hey Dave
    >
    > I am not too familiar with Outlook Express but I will try my best.
    > First off, try saving the file and then opening from there instead of
    > directly opening it from the attachment itself.
    >
    > I found a Microsoft Article relating to this problem but the steps are
    > very long and includes editing the registry, which if you are not to
    > familiar with, I wouldn't even touch it.
    > http://tinyurl.com/6jxqm
    >
    > Lastly, try force Outlook Express to re-register its files types.
    > 1. Quit Outlook Express
    > 2. Start and then Run
    > 3. C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe /reg
    >
    > If all else fails, try using another program. I saw alot of suggestions
    > from other people they people should give Thunderbird a try.
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > --
    > Evolution54

    Same results. Thanks anyway....Dave

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

    > Tools | Options | Security. Remove the check from "Block Images........."
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    >
    > "Evolution54" <Evolution54.1u36e3@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > 05MustangGT Wrote:
    > >> I suddenly find that I am unable to view .jpg file attchments that I
    > >> receive
    > >> on my e-mails -- I am using Outlook Express. When I attempt to view
    > >> receive a message "action is only valid for products that are
    > >> installed".
    > >> I looked thru help and options but unable to find anything to reslove.
    > >> Any
    > >> ideas? Thanks....Dave
    > >
    > > Hey Dave
    > >
    > > I am not too familiar with Outlook Express but I will try my best.
    > > First off, try saving the file and then opening from there instead of
    > > directly opening it from the attachment itself.
    > >
    > > I found a Microsoft Article relating to this problem but the steps are
    > > very long and includes editing the registry, which if you are not to
    > > familiar with, I wouldn't even touch it.
    > > http://tinyurl.com/6jxqm
    > >
    > > Lastly, try force Outlook Express to re-register its files types.
    > > 1. Quit Outlook Express
    > > 2. Start and then Run
    > > 3. C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe /reg
    > >
    > > If all else fails, try using another program. I saw alot of suggestions
    > > from other people they people should give Thunderbird a try.
    > > http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
    > >
    > > Good luck
    > >

    > > --
    > > Evolution54

Outlook Express Products Microsoft Windows XP