Sign in with
Your question

Monitor 24'' with pivot functionality

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 4, 2010 1:16:00 PM

Hi to everyone,

I'm looking at a 24'' LCD monitor that is able to pivot (turn into portrait mode). I use mainly to program, so I do not need a bright monitor, I only need the pivot function and I'm looking for a low price item.

Any suggestion?

alk.
May 13, 2010 5:02:25 AM

Yes, for pivot action, you will be looking to spend the equivalent of a top of the line computer. [sarcastic]
If you already have a monitor, get an LCD arm (desk clamp or wall). Honestly, just look around.
Related resources
May 13, 2010 7:58:44 PM

The HP ZR24W pivots for portrait mode. Currently $398 at Cost Central. Been using mine for a month and loving it. The model was just released at the beginning of March. I would say this monitor is the best bang for the buck.
May 31, 2010 3:59:55 AM

Samsung BX2440X 24" available at Tiger Direct for $299

I have a Samsung monitor and it has worked well and their support was accomodating.

I think the picture is better than the HP but it is a personal preference
June 1, 2010 1:42:46 PM

The new Dell U2311H for $300 pivots into portrait mode. Also an IPS screen. Here is a review.
September 22, 2010 3:29:41 AM

itsgrandpa said:
Yes, for pivot action, you will be looking to spend the equivalent of a top of the line computer. [sarcastic]
If you already have a monitor, get an LCD arm (desk clamp or wall). Honestly, just look around.

Will any LCD TV operate in horizonal or vertical set ups?? If I read your coment right ,it means that some or all, will operate in either situation. This means that I can buy a TV , with vga conn., mount it on a swivel base and use it as landscape or portrait position. thank you for your help.
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2010 4:28:03 AM

Some panels with pivot will adjust automatically.

Buy panels without the function would have to be manually adjusted through video card drivers.

I recommend something like the dell U2410 which is H-IPS. Basically all monitors with pivot are professional grade IPS. Companies are too caught of with price wars and being cheap with TN panels to include pivot on low end monitors.
a c 195 C Monitor
September 22, 2010 5:54:46 AM

What resolution are you looking for 'cause some 24" LCDs are 1920 x 1200 while others ar 1920 x 1080. I've read a few post where people disliked using a 1920 x 1080 because the width is too narrow than what they are used to. I can understand the point since I too prefer 1920 x 1200 over 1920 x 1080 resolution.

Additionally, I would avoid LCD monitors that are built around TN panel since they have poor viewing angles which can affect colors displayed on the screen. You want MVA, PVA, or IPS panel tech since they produce much less color shifting issues than TN panels. What monitors uses which panel tech? It's difficult for a noobie to know so post the model you are interested in and individuals like myself who have spent several hundreds of hours doing research over the course of a few or several years on LCD monitors in general.

The Samsung BX2440X uses a TN panel. A dead giveaway is the price and viewing angles of less than 178/178 (vertical/horizontal).

To give you an idea of what types of images a TN panel can provide see the below picture from a Samsung P2450H:

Lovely colors right? What you see is actually a bit better than average for a TN panel.

Here's the review: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2010/review-samsu...

Here's what the NEC EA231WMi looks like. This monitor uses an e-IPS panel which is an "economical" version of the standard (and more expensive) IPS panel. It's resolution is 1920 x 1080:

While the image is different from the one above, the thing that should strike you the most is that the colors are more consistant. This is an absolute important factor when considering using a monitor in portrait mode.

Here's the review: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-nec-e...

Of several monitors mentioned in this thread I recommend the HP ZR24w because of the following reasons:

1. It uses an e-IPS panel
2. Because of #1, it is relatively inexpensive at approximately $400
3. Resolution is 1920 x 1200, or 1200 x 1920 in portrait mode. I think you will appreciate the extra 120 columns of pixels.
4. If you were to play games it only has an input lag of 10ms. *

* Input lag refer to the delay between the time you press a key, move the mouse, click the mouse and when that action is registered on the screen. This is measure in milliseconds (ms) or thousandth of a second. 16.67ms = 1 frame of lag. This is really only important in games 'cause a "blink of an eye" delay can possibly mean living or dying in a first person shooter. Strategy games, card games, games like the Sims 3, input doesn't really affect gameplay since they are not dependent on lightning fast reflexes. In my opinion 16ms - 32ms is considered good enough for the average gamer. Hardcore gamers and competition gamers wants as close to 0ms lag as possible. 10ms is considered pretty fast for an IPS panel.

Here's a sample of the viewing angles:

Here is the review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr24w.htm

The Dell U2410 is also a good monitor, but it is probably a bit too much than you want to spend. I think it generally sells for $600, but every now and then Dell has a sale on it for maybe $500. Here the review:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm
!