Laptop Boots To Black Screen

dick

HP Laptop running XP Home. When booting, the Windows screen comes up,
then the screen goes black. Any ideas?

Dick

Possibly incorrect video driver installed? Improperly configured video driver
using a screen resolution not supported by the screen? What happens when you
boot the system in safe mode? If the system ends up with a black screen when
booted in safe mode, your best option may be to reinstall XP Home from scratch
on a reformatted hard drive... Ben Myers

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:23:11 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

>HP Laptop running XP Home. When booting, the Windows screen comes up,
>then the screen goes black. Any ideas?
>
>Dick

dick

The problem seemed to be related to what was hooked to it while
booting. The owner had a projector attached which seemed to stop the
boot process. I still don't understand what was going on, but at
least it's working again.

Dick

Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
> The problem seemed to be related to what was hooked to it while
> booting. The owner had a projector attached which seemed to stop the
> boot process. I still don't understand what was going on, but at
> least it's working again.

[upside-down posting not fixed, please don't do that as it makes
responding to your questions difficult]

Many notebooks autodetect monitors that have been attached to the
external video port. The assumption is that when you have an external
monitor attached, you want to use it instead of the internal LCD.

So the projector didn't stop the booting process, the video was just
being sent out the external video port. Usually there is a function key
combination to select the internal LCD, external monitor, or both.

Note that an external monitor doesn't need to be powered on to be
detected, leading to much confusion and hilarity for all.