Wireless card not detected

Hi all,

I'm trying to install a USR wireless card (USR5410) in my Presario 1210
laptop (Pentium 150 Mhz, 128 Mb Ram, etc). According to USR, the minimum
spec is a Pentium 100. The laptop won't detect the card being inserted but
it does detect it being pulled out (beeps). I've done a fresh install of
Win 98 SE. Nothing else has been added except the Software disk USR ships
with the card. Their tech help is really slow and nearly useless (basically
told me to try again). A friend of mine has a linksys which states that it
needs a Pentium 300 minimum. Do you think that USR is being optimistic?
Anybody here get a wireless card working on their 1210? I used to have a
3com card (ethernet) in this slot and it worked perfectly.

Thanks,

I'll suggest that the problem is more likely that the USR wireless card requires
a later revision of PCMCIA (PC Card) slot than the one in the Presario 1210.

What happens when you go into Control Panel and click the Add New hardware icon,
then ask the computer to detect the card ?

The Older 3COM PCMCIA network cards all work with the earliest of PCMCIA slots.

.... Ben Myers

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:38:02 -0600, Jgibbs <JLdeleteGibbs30@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm trying to install a USR wireless card (USR5410) in my Presario 1210
>laptop (Pentium 150 Mhz, 128 Mb Ram, etc). According to USR, the minimum
>spec is a Pentium 100. The laptop won't detect the card being inserted but
>it does detect it being pulled out (beeps). I've done a fresh install of
>Win 98 SE. Nothing else has been added except the Software disk USR ships
>with the card. Their tech help is really slow and nearly useless (basically
>told me to try again). A friend of mine has a linksys which states that it
>needs a Pentium 300 minimum. Do you think that USR is being optimistic?
>Anybody here get a wireless card working on their 1210? I used to have a
>3com card (ethernet) in this slot and it worked perfectly.
>
>Thanks,

Except that if it requires cardbus (PC Card) and the 1210 doesn't support
it, the card physically wouldn't fit. They are shaped slightly differently.

I am almost positive the 1210 is late enough to support it.

Tom
> I'll suggest that the problem is more likely that the USR wireless card
> requires
> a later revision of PCMCIA (PC Card) slot than the one in the Presario
> 1210.
>
> What happens when you go into Control Panel and click the Add New hardware
> icon,
> then ask the computer to detect the card ?
>
> The Older 3COM PCMCIA network cards all work with the earliest of PCMCIA
> slots.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:38:02 -0600, Jgibbs <JLdeleteGibbs30@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm trying to install a USR wireless card (USR5410) in my Presario 1210
>>laptop (Pentium 150 Mhz, 128 Mb Ram, etc). According to USR, the minimum
>>spec is a Pentium 100. The laptop won't detect the card being inserted but
>>it does detect it being pulled out (beeps). I've done a fresh install of
>>Win 98 SE. Nothing else has been added except the Software disk USR ships
>>with the card. Their tech help is really slow and nearly useless
>>(basically
>>told me to try again). A friend of mine has a linksys which states that it
>>needs a Pentium 300 minimum. Do you think that USR is being optimistic?
>>Anybody here get a wireless card working on their 1210? I used to have a
>>3com card (ethernet) in this slot and it worked perfectly.
>>
>>Thanks,

Good catch. According to the US Robotics web site, the USR5410 requires an
"Available PC Card CardBus Type II slot".

The specs for the Presario 1210 on the HPaq web site state "One (1) Type II or
one (1) Type III PC card slot", but makes no mention of CardBus. So the card
would seem to be incompatible. PCMCIA->PC Card->CardBus. Just another instance
of the moving and changing and sometimes incompatible evolution of hardware
"standards".

Compaq seems to have annoyingly recycled model numbers here. The original
Presario 1210 is a 150MHz Pentium notebook with a max of 80MB. The Presario
1210US is an 800MHz Athlon notebook... Ben Myers

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:34:22 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>Except that if it requires cardbus (PC Card) and the 1210 doesn't support
>it, the card physically wouldn't fit. They are shaped slightly differently.
>
>I am almost positive the 1210 is late enough to support it.
>
>Tom
>> I'll suggest that the problem is more likely that the USR wireless card
>> requires
>> a later revision of PCMCIA (PC Card) slot than the one in the Presario
>> 1210.
>>
>> What happens when you go into Control Panel and click the Add New hardware
>> icon,
>> then ask the computer to detect the card ?
>>
>> The Older 3COM PCMCIA network cards all work with the earliest of PCMCIA
>> slots.
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:38:02 -0600, Jgibbs <JLdeleteGibbs30@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I'm trying to install a USR wireless card (USR5410) in my Presario 1210
>>>laptop (Pentium 150 Mhz, 128 Mb Ram, etc). According to USR, the minimum
>>>spec is a Pentium 100. The laptop won't detect the card being inserted but
>>>it does detect it being pulled out (beeps). I've done a fresh install of
>>>Win 98 SE. Nothing else has been added except the Software disk USR ships
>>>with the card. Their tech help is really slow and nearly useless
>>>(basically
>>>told me to try again). A friend of mine has a linksys which states that it
>>>needs a Pentium 300 minimum. Do you think that USR is being optimistic?
>>>Anybody here get a wireless card working on their 1210? I used to have a
>>>3com card (ethernet) in this slot and it worked perfectly.
>>>
>>>Thanks,

My memory may be failing, but I believe the switch the PCCard as a term was
when Cardbus was introduced -- meaning they are synonomous. I'm pretty sure
my P133 Armada 4133T was Cardbus compatible, but only on ONE of its slots.

Regardless, the Cardbus cards have a different shape and will NOT fit in a
standard PCMCIA slot.

So, if it fits, the laptop supports Cardbus.

Tom

Jgibbs wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to install a USR wireless card (USR5410) in my Presario
> 1210 laptop (Pentium 150 Mhz, 128 Mb Ram, etc). According to USR, the
> minimum spec is a Pentium 100. The laptop won't detect the card being
> inserted but it does detect it being pulled out (beeps). I've done a
> fresh install of Win 98 SE. Nothing else has been added except the
> Software disk USR ships with the card. Their tech help is really slow
> and nearly useless (basically told me to try again). A friend of mine
> has a linksys which states that it needs a Pentium 300 minimum. Do
> you think that USR is being optimistic? Anybody here get a wireless
> card working on their 1210? I used to have a 3com card (ethernet) in
> this slot and it worked perfectly.
>
> Thanks,

For Win9x you will definitely need to install the driver with the card
*removed*. Explore the CD for a folder Drivers or Win9x or something
like that for a driver installer. If the driver then installs OK,
insert the card and the card should be found.

At this point, it is possible that the card has been identified as
something else. Boot to Safe Mode, check Device Manager for any unknown
device and remove it. Then install the driver, then insert the card and
it will be identified.