CDROM not recognized in Windows XP

I have a Gateway with XP on it. One day I booted up and
realized that my CDROM didnt show up in My Computer. I
checked the device manager and it said the driver was
missing. Considering that drives don't really have
drivers, I checked Gateway's support site. They gave me
a driver for the IDE controller because that was supposed
to solve the problem. Well it didn't so I called and
they sent me a new drive under warranty because they
decided that was the problem. However, the problem is
still there. Any ideas on how to get the drive to work?

P.S. I tried to get the driver for the Intel Chipset but
the installer said everything was already updated.
2 answers Last reply
More about cdrom recognized windows

    Yes they have drivers. Have you checked the properties of the CD-Rom ?

    One possibility out of many

    Have you also checked the UpperFilters or LowerFilters value in the registry, either by adding its own filter drivers or by removing the registry keys and values

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    --
    Peter

    "DWP" <DWP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:120C9BD6-35DD-4DBB-8FB5-461D7A14BEE5@microsoft.com...
    >I have a Gateway with XP on it. One day I booted up and
    > realized that my CDROM didnt show up in My Computer. I
    > checked the device manager and it said the driver was
    > missing. Considering that drives don't really have
    > drivers, I checked Gateway's support site. They gave me
    > a driver for the IDE controller because that was supposed
    > to solve the problem. Well it didn't so I called and
    > they sent me a new drive under warranty because they
    > decided that was the problem. However, the problem is
    > still there. Any ideas on how to get the drive to work?
    >
    > P.S. I tried to get the driver for the Intel Chipset but
    > the installer said everything was already updated.

    Hi,

    See if this helps:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

    Under section 8 - Problems - there is a link to a patch that often resolves
    this problem

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "DWP" <DWP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Gateway with XP on it. One day I booted up and
    > realized that my CDROM didnt show up in My Computer. I
    > checked the device manager and it said the driver was
    > missing. Considering that drives don't really have
    > drivers, I checked Gateway's support site. They gave me
    > a driver for the IDE controller because that was supposed
    > to solve the problem. Well it didn't so I called and
    > they sent me a new drive under warranty because they
    > decided that was the problem. However, the problem is
    > still there. Any ideas on how to get the drive to work?
    >
    > P.S. I tried to get the driver for the Intel Chipset but
    > the installer said everything was already updated.

Gateway Windows XP