Dell dvd drive is not working

It's not a failed drive
The registry becomes corrupted, after installing updates, and the drive disappears from the system.
This has been reported hundreds of times, right here in this forum.

http://club.myce.com/f44/dvd-cd-drive-not-recognized-windows-7-solution-here-307976/#.UJF8c4ZoHmE

99% of the time, nothing is wrong with the drive.
So I can't understand why you keep telling people to replace it. Replacing it won't fix the problem.

Also, do not download "free" software that claims it will "fix" your computer. BIG mistake.

check to see if the drive is showing up in the bios. if it not there the drive may have gone south. put a standard audio cd in the drive and watch the green or amber led. the drive should read the cd and spin. if the amber or green led keeps blinking is could be that the drive laser has failed.

We've seen the high/low filter problem in my shops exactly once in 4 years (looking at the records now). Every other time the problem was due to a failed drive. I go with the odds.

Nope, I was a Coner, spent 2 years training as a SONAR tech. Almost as intense as nuke school though.

trent_34

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

I have not been able to back up my system since longer than I care to remember. To date, I have deleted my registry's upper filters, reinstalled cd/dvd device and updated all out-dated drivers. Yet the cd/dvd device still does not recognize my disk or allow formating, while the device manager reports that the device is working properly. What else do I need to do?