Dell dvd drive is not working

Last response: in Windows 7
October 31, 2012 3:47:27 PM

Quote:
my dvd driver is not working when I put dvd in drive it not show it

More about : dell dvd drive working

a b $ Windows 7
October 31, 2012 4:20:44 PM

is the DVD drive showing up in my computer? is it just showing as empty?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 31, 2012 4:21:41 PM

Most likely failed drive. Replace it, they're cheap.
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2012 4:26:26 PM

Hate to agree with the bubblehead (aviator) - but he's probably right - and bubbleheads are true geeks (in a nice way!).
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 31, 2012 6:34:54 PM

amitjha said:
Quote:
my dvd driver is not working when I put dvd in drive it not show it

It's not a failed drive
The registry becomes corrupted, after installing updates, and the drive disappears from the system.
This has been reported hundreds of times, right here in this forum.

http://club.myce.com/f44/dvd-cd-drive-not-recognized-wi...

99% of the time, nothing is wrong with the drive.
So I can't understand why you keep telling people to replace it. Replacing it won't fix the problem.

Also, do not download "free" software that claims it will "fix" your computer. BIG mistake.

m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 31, 2012 6:39:59 PM

check to see if the drive is showing up in the bios. if it not there the drive may have gone south. put a standard audio cd in the drive and watch the green or amber led. the drive should read the cd and spin. if the amber or green led keeps blinking is could be that the drive laser has failed.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 31, 2012 6:44:13 PM

soundguruman said:
....99% of the time, nothing is wrong with the drive.
So I can't understand why you keep telling people to replace it. Replacing it won't fix the problem....

We've seen the high/low filter problem in my shops exactly once in 4 years (looking at the records now). Every other time the problem was due to a failed drive. I go with the odds.
m
l
October 31, 2012 7:21:57 PM

I'll go with the bubblehead. Chances are he made it thru nuke school - anyone else here do that? ... thought not. (but ur still a bubble head!)

It's $20 and problem solved
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 31, 2012 7:31:45 PM

I've seen more high/low filters than failed drives but it varies I'm sure. Best to troubleshoot a bit before spending anything though!
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 31, 2012 7:50:01 PM

odiervr said:
I'll go with the bubblehead. Chances are he made it thru nuke school - anyone else here do that? ... thought not. (but ur still a bubble head!)

It's $20 and problem solved

Nope, I was a Coner, spent 2 years training as a SONAR tech. Almost as intense as nuke school though.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 31, 2012 8:30:57 PM

Try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 if that doesn't fix it, then it maybe a bad optical drive, but there are other possibilities. Is the drive recognized in bios? Does it work outside of windows(boot to a bootable cd or dvd)?
m
l
March 1, 2013 4:18:23 PM

soundguruman said:
It's not a failed drive
The registry becomes corrupted, after installing updates, and the drive disappears from the system.
This has been reported hundreds of times, right here in this forum.

http://club.myce.com/f44/dvd-cd-drive-not-recognized-wi...

99% of the time, nothing is wrong with the drive.
So I can't understand why you keep telling people to replace it. Replacing it won't fix the problem.

Also, do not download "free" software that claims it will "fix" your computer. BIG mistake.

I have not been able to back up my system since longer than I care to remember. To date, I have deleted my registry's upper filters, reinstalled cd/dvd device and updated all out-dated drivers. Yet the cd/dvd device still does not recognize my disk or allow formating, while the device manager reports that the device is working properly. What else do I need to do?
m
l
!