Sign in with
Your question

Any Monitor Experts on the Board?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 5, 2010 3:41:35 PM

I just had a computer custom made & need to get a monitor. I'm wanting to find a monitor that gives me the largest AND crispest text at its native size. Like the neophyte I am, I thought the monitor size determined the size of the image on the screen, but after hours and hours of reading on this and other sites, I realized the resolution + screen size + pixel/dot pitch + other things I have yet to learn about, all play a role in how large the image on the screen is and how crisp it is. However, for the life of me, I can't figure out what combination will yield the largest and crispest text.

I've read this site from top to bottom over the course of the last month looking for answers. I've seen people talk about the text on the 19" being larger than their 24", the text on their 25.5" being larger than on a 24", a 27" having larger text than a 30". I just can't figure out what number to look at to know how big the text/image on the screen is going to look in relation to other systems.

Eye strain is a big concern, b/c I spend all day in front of the computer reading text (internet, Word, Excel). So, text size & crispness is important. I've read that the brightness of the screen will affect eye strain, in addition to how crisp and big the letters are. I realize I can simply increase the size of the image on the screen once I get it (control +), but at some point, the font/images don't fit in their positions on the screen (especially w/ internet).

Can anyone explain this to me and/or give me advice as to what I need to look for to accomplish my goals? I really appreciate it!!! I've probably invested close to 20-25 hours in my research and am just about at my wits end trying to make sense of everything.

More about : monitor experts board

May 6, 2010 10:45:45 PM

Seriously? You guys can build a machine from scratch, but not a single person on this site knows what makes the native font/image size on a monitor to appear smaller or larger, or what makes text appear crisper?
m
l
May 7, 2010 10:14:59 PM

Im not an expert, but DPI means "dots per inch". Pixel Pitch means how many pixels are crammed into the inch. IPS has the best color reproduction. Resolution is also important. Even if the Pixel Pitch is good, a 2560x1600 will be better than high DPI at 1680x1050. (Pixel Pitch lower=better. I believe that means the pixels are smaller .27 is better than .28. But larger montors have larger pixels because the screen is bigger and the resolution is often the same as smaller monitors Also, pixel quality might matter)

Any expensive Dell will suit your needs. Any IPS should be good. An "LED" not backlit LED is expensive but excellent for professional work.

After you choose, buy color callibration software and adjust it to your liking.
m
l
Related resources
May 17, 2010 8:05:00 PM

resolution = pixels, more pixels = smaller text.

average 19" 1400 x 900 pixels, (not exact figures)
22" 1600 x 1000
24" 1900 x 1200

should give you nice readable text.

I have two monitors, laptop lcd (15" 1280 x 800) and 19" (1440 x 900)

Images and text are the same size on both, but the 19" has more space on it, if the 19" had a 1280 x 800 resolution also, then everything would be bigger, and that's not what you want.

So use my guidlines to get the right resolution for you.
Unless you want very fine text, and by fine i mean small, with lots of space on your screen (pixels) get a 19" with a 1600 x 1000 resolution, although the ones I listed are just fine.
m
l
May 17, 2010 8:05:42 PM

oh yes one more thing, I can't answer how big text is going to look but i can tell you that with those resolutions above for those sizes text will be approximately the same size, like i said with my example of my laptop screen.

The bigger the screen the more pixels you're going to need, otherwise you can imagine you're just stretching everything bigger.

m
l
December 14, 2011 10:02:29 PM

I currently have a 31-inch Dell monitor, and resolution is 1920 x 1080.

I want to have a 40-inch or larger monitor, and I want text and images to be the same size as they are now. So, I need to go quite a bit higher resolution than 1920 x 1080. Is that possible??
m
l
a c 110 C Monitor
December 15, 2011 11:15:27 AM

i think the OP must have given up on this post. shame that he knows experts reside here but he failed to do a forum search for information. honestly its hard getting to each and every post and its not unreasonable to ask the OP to understand that. if we dont get to it right away, bumping it gives it a second chance.

the bigger the monitor the bigger the text but you will lose "crispness" with size. with a 2560x 30" display yes you will get a nice image but text size might be an issue. if you have windows 7 just use the "zoom" option and you will be fine. text size really isnt a big deal as you can set all that in display properties and by zooming.

@tdwhalen

at that size range you're going to be looking at a television i think since i've never heard of a "for pc" monitor that big. the resolution will be set at 1920x1080 so text will be bigger unless you sit farther away (negating the "larger" screen desire of yours). you could always get another 31" and dualscreen.
m
l
!