RV Travel & Computers

August 20, 2005 4:36:10 PM

Getting ready to sell the home & take off on the road. This is just a
general question about configuring the best solution using XP for
access to the outside world. (yes, I'll miss my cable broadband!)
I realize I'll be able to use different access points depending on
where we end up; wi-fi, dial-up, satelllite dish.
I guess my question here is, what did you find to be the best overall
solution?
I've heard of Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. Would this be the
best OS to have installed? (is it truley ready for prime time?)
I have a Sager notebook running XP Pro, 2.8mhz P4, ATi 9600agp, 512mb
of pc2700 ram, and a 40gb 5400rpm H. drive, the laptop has a TV tuner
imbedded. If I upgrade the H. drive to a 7200rpm drive, will that allow
me to upgrade to the XP Media Center edition? Or is this sold only with
a new computer?
Sorry for the global questions, but this will be a whole new experience
for me.
Thanks,
Treeman

--
Treeman

More about : travel computers

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 5:00:20 PM

XP Media Center only comes on new pcs.
I would get an external drive to use for backups.
--
Ron Sommer

"Treeman" <Treeman.1u2q4r@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> Getting ready to sell the home & take off on the road. This is just a
> general question about configuring the best solution using XP for
> access to the outside world. (yes, I'll miss my cable broadband!)
> I realize I'll be able to use different access points depending on
> where we end up; wi-fi, dial-up, satelllite dish.
> I guess my question here is, what did you find to be the best overall
> solution?
> I've heard of Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. Would this be the
> best OS to have installed? (is it truley ready for prime time?)
> I have a Sager notebook running XP Pro, 2.8mhz P4, ATi 9600agp, 512mb
> of pc2700 ram, and a 40gb 5400rpm H. drive, the laptop has a TV tuner
> imbedded. If I upgrade the H. drive to a 7200rpm drive, will that allow
> me to upgrade to the XP Media Center edition? Or is this sold only with
> a new computer?
> Sorry for the global questions, but this will be a whole new experience
> for me.
> Thanks,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

August 20, 2005 6:31:18 PM

There is nothing wrong with the laptop you have now.
It does need a wifi card and maybe a LAN Card.........both used for internet
connections.
What else are you trying to do with the Laptop......???..
They have Satelites for RV's ..which takes care of TV reception and with
those Satelites you can opt for a TIVO receiver which would allow you to
record TV and watch at your leisure.You could also sign up for Satelite
Internet...check with whatever system you decide upon.
If you go WIFI there are WIFI locaters on the market that will locate strong
wifi signals and even tell you which ones are free and accesible.
peterk

"Treeman" <Treeman.1u2q4r@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> Getting ready to sell the home & take off on the road. This is just a
> general question about configuring the best solution using XP for
> access to the outside world. (yes, I'll miss my cable broadband!)
> I realize I'll be able to use different access points depending on
> where we end up; wi-fi, dial-up, satelllite dish.
> I guess my question here is, what did you find to be the best overall
> solution?
> I've heard of Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. Would this be the
> best OS to have installed? (is it truley ready for prime time?)
> I have a Sager notebook running XP Pro, 2.8mhz P4, ATi 9600agp, 512mb
> of pc2700 ram, and a 40gb 5400rpm H. drive, the laptop has a TV tuner
> imbedded. If I upgrade the H. drive to a 7200rpm drive, will that allow
> me to upgrade to the XP Media Center edition? Or is this sold only with
> a new computer?
> Sorry for the global questions, but this will be a whole new experience
> for me.
> Thanks,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

August 21, 2005 3:07:34 PM

Thanks peterk,
The Sager does have a wi-fi card and onboard lan capabilities. I was
just trying to stay away from the number of external devices to "have
it all."
The reason I asked about XP Vs Media Edition is that the laptop is not
set-up as a PVR. (I thought Media Edition would give me that
capability)
As to Ron's post, I am an OEM System Builder, and can get Media Center
with a hardware purchase;
'Windows XP Media Center ' (http://tinyurl.com/8q5cn) I just don't
know how Microsoft would look at me selling myself this upgrade, maybe
as a demo? (grin)
The satelllite for TV & Internet for RV's they have now, have
auto-tracking capabilities, & DirectTV for access. All the RV's
mechanical systems now are networked via modules using the RV-C
protocol. (I'll have to look that up)
Anyway thanks for your response to my question about XP's Media
Center.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

August 22, 2005 10:39:27 PM

You still do not need Media Edition.You said the Laptop had a TV Tuner
card...........usually the software that comes with a TV tuner Card has the
capabilities for PVR.I use SnapStream's Beyond TV3 but my card came with
WINTV2000 for free.
??????? Just remember that video takes a lot of HD space......but its quite
easy to edit and burn to a DVD
peterk

"Treeman" <Treeman.1u4i0r@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> Thanks peterk,
> The Sager does have a wi-fi card and onboard lan capabilities. I was
> just trying to stay away from the number of external devices to "have
> it all."
> The reason I asked about XP Vs Media Edition is that the laptop is not
> set-up as a PVR. (I thought Media Edition would give me that
> capability)
> As to Ron's post, I am an OEM System Builder, and can get Media Center
> with a hardware purchase;
> 'Windows XP Media Center ' (http://tinyurl.com/8q5cn) I just don't
> know how Microsoft would look at me selling myself this upgrade, maybe
> as a demo? (grin)
> The satelllite for TV & Internet for RV's they have now, have
> auto-tracking capabilities, & DirectTV for access. All the RV's
> mechanical systems now are networked via modules using the RV-C
> protocol. (I'll have to look that up)
> Anyway thanks for your response to my question about XP's Media
> Center.
> Best,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

August 26, 2005 4:55:07 AM

"Treeman" <Treeman.1u2q4r@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> Getting ready to sell the home & take off on the road. This is just a
> general question about configuring the best solution using XP for
> access to the outside world. (yes, I'll miss my cable broadband!)
> I realize I'll be able to use different access points depending on
> where we end up; wi-fi, dial-up, satelllite dish.

Check out the group rec.rv.travel. You'll probably get more answers
there.

If you're really headed for the boonies, you may not be able to
connect at all. Otherwise wireless would be the way to go.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots: