how do you make a SATA drive the active bootup disk

attempting to setup only SATA as bootup device but ran into a
definition snag

is there anything special that needs to be done in Dell bios
(dimension 4100) to tell it (or does it need to be told..) that there
are no IDE HD devices after swithing over to all Serial ATA (SATA)
drives?

the bios currently has this list as bootup sequence

FLOPPY
ARM-FDD
ARM-HDD
IDE
ATAPI CDROM

once all IDE harddrives are removed, does the bios react
faster/better/no matter if the IDE is totally gone from the bios list
(bios is version A11)
12 answers Last reply
More about make sata drive active bootup disk

    hunter wrote
    > is there anything special that needs to be done in Dell bios
    > (dimension 4100) to tell it (or does it need to be told..) that there
    > are no IDE HD devices after swithing over to all Serial ATA (SATA)
    > drives?

    just access the BIOS before it loads, after you connect the SATA drive(s)
    remove the BIOS IDE section (disabled) but leave the Secondary IDE since
    that is where your CDROM devices are and they usually are IDE

    > once all IDE harddrives are removed, does the bios react
    > faster/better/no matter if the IDE is totally gone from the bios list
    > (bios is version A11)

    it should't matter, but how are you going to make the SATA drive active?
    perhaps someone will advise you on that...assuming that you cloned the
    drive(s)
    with something like Symantec Ghost32.exe

    "hunter" <huntertaylor@surfeu.fi> wrote in message
    > attempting to setup only SATA as bootup device but ran into a
    > definition snag
    >
    > is there anything special that needs to be done in Dell bios
    > (dimension 4100) to tell it (or does it need to be told..) that there
    > are no IDE HD devices after swithing over to all Serial ATA (SATA)
    > drives?
    >
    > the bios currently has this list as bootup sequence
    >
    > FLOPPY
    > ARM-FDD
    > ARM-HDD
    > IDE
    > ATAPI CDROM
    >
    > once all IDE harddrives are removed, does the bios react
    > faster/better/no matter if the IDE is totally gone from the bios list
    > (bios is version A11)

    Turn off all IDE1 devices or just temporarily disconnect the ribbon cable
    from the mb. Move the CDROM up to first boot device. Be sure the SATA drive
    is enabled in the controller card BIOS.

    Stew

    S.Lewis wrote
    > Turn off all IDE1 devices or just temporarily disconnect the ribbon cable
    > from the mb. Move the CDROM up to first boot device. Be sure the SATA drive
    > is enabled in the controller card BIOS.

    thank you for the suggestions

    did all that and the problem is that despite the PCI/SATA card listing
    both SATA drives at bootup, I get a "Insert Bootable Disk: A" prompt
    and the drives are not seen by DOS

    tried also running Windows Recovery Console and it also fails to
    detect the SATA drives

    if I hook back in the IDE drive, then there is no problem seeing the
    SATA drives (they just become Disk1(SATA) and Disk2 (SATA) where the
    boot drive (IDE) becomes Disk0)

    next question : is there a generic SATA driver that can be loaded
    before Windows Recovery Console starts to enable it seeing the SATA
    drives?

    or is this a problem with the A11 - Dell Dimension 4100 BIOS or that
    the motherboard is too old to support this type of thing?

    The SATA card should have come with drivers on a disk.
    Then in XP setup you push the button when it asks about loading
    the SCSI drivers. The Dell BIOS(A11) dates back to the upgrade from
    ME to XP on those machines, summer of 2001 is when mine arrived.
    All this is before SATA.

    "Pen" <pen34us_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The SATA card should have come with drivers on a disk.
    > Then in XP setup you push the button when it asks about loading
    > the SCSI drivers. The Dell BIOS(A11) dates back to the upgrade from
    > ME to XP on those machines, summer of 2001 is when mine arrived.
    > All this is before SATA.

    <snip>

    Agreed. That timeline is about right. My machine had A06 when bought in
    2/2001. Also, I'd think the XP install driver option might work as well....

    Pen wrote
    > The SATA card should have come with drivers on a disk.

    it did and I used the Maxtor Win2003 SATA/PCI 150 driver disk
    in fact, Windows 2003 Recovery Console automatically detected the
    floppy and loaded it

    > Then in XP setup you push the button when it asks about loading

    ok, as mentioned, the OS is Windows 2003 (which is NT 5.2 where xp is
    NT 5.1)

    > the SCSI drivers. The Dell BIOS(A11) dates back to the upgrade from

    I finally managed to get into Windows Recovery Console and it prompted
    me for Administrator password and I got in.

    I ran Bootcfg /rebuild and verified all was ok (at least it listed the
    correct information)

    after rebooting, the system still had the Win 2003Ent CD but it loaded
    both SATA drives and told me it had detected a change and asked me to
    restart

    I took out the CD and rebooted and it stops again after detecting both
    SATA drives and asks for "Insert Bootable Disk: A"

    In BIOS, there is no floppy, only Secondary IDE has CDROM and I tried
    also disabling IDE totally, no difference, tried enabling (despite no
    IDE devices and same thing)

    apparently somehow, the SATA drive still is not bootable, what am I
    missing?

    just as a side note, I've run on this Dimension 4100 Win 2003 for
    months with no problems, the system has performed flawlessly and I
    only wanted to go "all SATA" drives due to their speed and size, the
    existing IDE drive is 40gb but it is about 10 times slower than the
    Maxtor SATA 120gb

    I also used a dedicated PCI/SATA 150 card, also by Maxtor so there is
    nothing connected to the motherboard. Apparently there is just some
    setting missing on the SATA drive to make it bootable

    Errr you have loaded the drivers for the SATA drives have you? when
    installing XP it gives the option F6 i think to add third party controllers
    you then have to load the floppy disk which is difficult if your machine
    didn't ship with FDD
    > Pen wrote
    > > The SATA card should have come with drivers on a disk.
    >
    > it did and I used the Maxtor Win2003 SATA/PCI 150 driver disk
    > in fact, Windows 2003 Recovery Console automatically detected the
    > floppy and loaded it
    >
    > > Then in XP setup you push the button when it asks about loading
    >
    > ok, as mentioned, the OS is Windows 2003 (which is NT 5.2 where xp is
    > NT 5.1)
    >
    > > the SCSI drivers. The Dell BIOS(A11) dates back to the upgrade from
    >
    > I finally managed to get into Windows Recovery Console and it prompted
    > me for Administrator password and I got in.
    >
    > I ran Bootcfg /rebuild and verified all was ok (at least it listed the
    > correct information)
    >
    > after rebooting, the system still had the Win 2003Ent CD but it loaded
    > both SATA drives and told me it had detected a change and asked me to
    > restart
    >
    > I took out the CD and rebooted and it stops again after detecting both
    > SATA drives and asks for "Insert Bootable Disk: A"
    >
    > In BIOS, there is no floppy, only Secondary IDE has CDROM and I tried
    > also disabling IDE totally, no difference, tried enabling (despite no
    > IDE devices and same thing)
    >
    > apparently somehow, the SATA drive still is not bootable, what am I
    > missing?
    >
    > just as a side note, I've run on this Dimension 4100 Win 2003 for
    > months with no problems, the system has performed flawlessly and I
    > only wanted to go "all SATA" drives due to their speed and size, the
    > existing IDE drive is 40gb but it is about 10 times slower than the
    > Maxtor SATA 120gb
    >
    > I also used a dedicated PCI/SATA 150 card, also by Maxtor so there is
    > nothing connected to the motherboard. Apparently there is just some
    > setting missing on the SATA drive to make it bootable

    Hunter - did you solve this problem? I am having (nearly) the exact
    same problem..... I would really appreciate your help.

    ==============

    OK, I have mine working. I was running XP Pro on an older 40Gb and
    added a Promise FastTrack 150 SATA card and WD 200 GB. System
    recognized the new drive, no problem. BIOS showed a new 'Option ROM'
    entry in the boot device choices. This was the Promise card.
    I needed to install XP on the new SATA drive and still preserve the
    old drive stuff so I could transfer my old data files later. The SATA
    drive would be my new boot drive.
    Go into BIOS and remove IDD HDD from the boot list and replace it with
    the 'Option ROM'. Rebooted from the XP CD and did my install to the
    SATA drive. The install still showed the older drives but now also
    showed the SATA drive as my drive C:. Make SURE to hit F6 when the
    upgrade process starts so the system will prompt you for the SATA
    driver floppy.
    Completed the install and rebooted. System came up from SATA with no
    problems and the IDE drives were still accessible. If I need to
    reboot into my old configuration I just change the boot device in the
    BIOS from 'Option ROM' to IDE HDD. Once I transfer over my old data
    files I'll clear the IDE drives and use them for backups.
    Actually a pretty smooth process overall.

    "pittdave" wrote:
    > Go into BIOS and remove IDD HDD from the boot list...

    What is "IDD HDD"?

    *TimDaniels*

    Looks like a typo....should be IDE-HDD.

    "Dave" <dshirsh@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Looks like a typo....should be IDE-HDD.

    Probably change the order it looks for boot drives in the BIOS.

Dell SATA BIOS Computers