Your question

Truecrypt full disc encryption

Tags:
  • Security
  • Encryption
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
October 31, 2012 4:29:19 PM

Hello, I have a question regarding TrueCrypt full disc encryption and it's wipe mode

If I was to encrypt my current system (With all of files and such) with Truecrypt, using the "none" option on wipe mode, will all the current data be unencrypted/readable after I encrypt the drive? Or Is wipe mode just an option to format the current drive or?

Thank's in advance
Best regard's
Karl

More about : truecrypt full disc encryption

a c 282 $ Windows 7
a b 8 Security
October 31, 2012 4:34:19 PM

Everything you need to know: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/common/cst/good_practice/encry...

Make a complete backup before you encrypt the drive. Once it's encrypted it's impossible to recover any data if the keys are lost.

When it comes to encryption take a hint from the quote under my avatar. If you don't FULLY understand all of the implications and pitfalls of whole disk encryption then you shouldn't be touching it.
October 31, 2012 4:47:42 PM

I understand what your saying I just cant exactly decide if Wipe mode will remove all the current data or not

"The next screen prompts you to choose a "wipe mode". If you do no already have sensitive data on the drive, choose None . If you do have sensitive data on the drive, and wish to ensure all traces are removed, choose another option. 3-pass is normally sufficient. "

So if I'm right, wipe mode removes all current data? and current data if left, will be unencrypted after the whole drive encruption?
Related resources
a c 282 $ Windows 7
a b 8 Security
October 31, 2012 4:49:24 PM

That's precisely what it says. What did you think "wipe" meant?
October 31, 2012 5:08:25 PM

I just wanted to be sure, someone told me the wipe mode was the process it would use when deleting files after the encryption, so I should just leave it to none and all current data will be encrypted too?

Thanks for the quick replys
a c 282 $ Windows 7
a b 8 Security
October 31, 2012 5:21:55 PM

Leave it on "none" and no wiping of unencrypted data will be done. Choose this method only if the drive is currently empty or you have data that you don't care if remanents may be left behind.

If you have data that you absolutely want to ensure is not left behind in an uncrypted state then choose one of the other options (3-pass for the most paranoid). Data will be encrypted and any unencrypted version will be securely wiped.

In all cases if you've chosen to encrypt the entire volume then ALL data will be encrypted.
a b $ Windows 7
October 31, 2012 5:27:16 PM

Ok, hold on here, this wasn't explained properly.
Wipe mode.
If you leave it on "none" it will only delete the partition and not much else. Technically, the data is still there, it isn't immediately apparent because you can't see it with normal operating system procedures. But someone can go in with specialized disk recovery and pull the data. Now, that data will still be kinda worthless to the person because it is still encrypted.
Thats where 3 pass comes in.
3 Pass not only deletes the partition, but it will write zeros from the beginning to the end of the hard drive 3 times, thereby hopefully destroying the data, physically on the drive.
Then there is military style. Where 20 passes or more of zeros will be written, and random zeros and ones can be done as well.
Then there is air force style. They do the military style, but then follow up with taking the hard drive, burning it to a crisp and then blow it up with surplus explosives.
October 31, 2012 5:38:24 PM

"If you leave it on "none" it will only delete the partition and not much else. Technically, the data is still there, it isn't immediately apparent because you can't see it with normal operating system procedures."

So I am more or less going to lose my data either way?

On the Truecrypt site I found it said

"System encryption provides the highest level of security and privacy, because all files, including any temporary files that Windows and applications create on the system partition (typically, without your knowledge or consent), hibernation files, swap files, etc., are always permanently encrypted (even when power supply is suddenly interrupted)."

"Note that TrueCrypt can encrypt an existing unencrypted system partition/drive in-place while the operating system is running (while the system is being encrypted, you can use your computer as usual without any restrictions)"

So leaving it to none should keep all the data and have it encrypted from what this is saying? Wipe mode will just destroy current data?
October 31, 2012 5:54:31 PM

""Note that TrueCrypt can encrypt an existing unencrypted system partition/drive in-place while the operating system is running (while the system is being encrypted, you can use your computer as usual without any restrictions)"

So leaving it to none should keep all the data and have it encrypted from what this is saying? Wipe mode will just destroy current data? "

^ you are correct

It will encrypt the unencrypted drive, but it'll REALLY slow down ur PC and take FOREVER. it could even be days, depending on how fast the PC is and how much data it is.

I've never done this before, but it never hurts to make a backup before hand, right?
Get Clonezilla, make a clone file to save to some external source, then have at the original with the truecrypt...
October 31, 2012 6:04:09 PM

It's 1TB full of data, i7 2600k 32gb ram, a few day's is ok with me. I also read on wipe mode option excisting data will NOT be lost, just to confuse me more..

October 31, 2012 6:08:17 PM

well, at least u have good hardware. it still will take quite a while, since it's almost a full TB.
October 31, 2012 6:09:31 PM

This is getting frustrating now haha

Ok so wipe mode according to some people on here will wipe all current data, or it will still be there but not accesable

However the way TrueCrypt states it, it will not remove any current data

I honestly don't know what to do now haha
October 31, 2012 6:15:29 PM

Wait, so either way the data will still be there, the wipe mode means it will errase and replace current data leaving no trace? I am highly paranoid so the gutmann method will have to be the choise imo

Sort of mis read some replys