Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer Won't Always Hibernate/Sleep

Last response: in Windows 7
October 31, 2012 4:50:36 PM

I got my laptop a few weeks ago and noticed that it will sometimes go into hibernate, and other times it will not, and instead hang on a black (but enabled/on) LCD. When you touch the keyboard, it even makes Windows 7 dings for incorrectly pressed key (meaning the OS is still on). If it is going into sleep or hibernate due to low battery and this error happens, it will just keep beeping really loudly at me until the laptop dies (I'm assuming that's the motherboard's part, though).

I have no idea what to do, and I'm really freaking puzzled right now. I've already tried turning hybrid sleep on and off, and neither of them yielded any positive results. Anyone have any clue what I should do?

PS: I've noticed last night after gaming for a bit, that the fans remained in a full blast state (yes, even when the game is closed). This might be related to it although I am not sure. Also, I cannot upgrade my video drivers because the graphics are integrated with the Intel Integrated Graphics, meaning the drivers are made by the manufacturer.

Here's my laptop specifications by the way:

-1920x1080 LED Backlit Display
-2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon 7970m
-Intel Core i7 3720QM Quad-Core Processor (2.60GHz), 6MB Cache
-8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz (2 X 4GB)
-Genuine MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition
-Slot 1: 256GB Samsung 830 Series - Solid State Drive
-Slot 2: 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD
-Integrated High-Definition Audio with THX TruStudio Pro and up to 7.1 Channel support
-Wi-Fi Link 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module with Bluetooth - Up to 300 Mbps
-SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Ports

This is technically a no-name laptop by the way. It is from OriginPC.com.
a b $ Windows 7
October 31, 2012 5:03:14 PM

Did you get any kind of warranty with this laptop ? Any kind of tech support ? Is it just here buy this and good luck to you but we don't provide any support fot this product ?
You can go into power management and either chjoose a different power mode or create a new one , plus you can change every option that has an option with the power management section.

Control panel / System and Security / Power options.

You can select a power option or make a custom one then choose when the display turns off and the hard drives , then if you select advanced you have a list of options to go through and choose from. You can say how long before hirenate and if you want hybird hibernation , you can select the idle time before action is initiated or you can say never.
m
l
October 31, 2012 5:22:19 PM

That much I already know, but it's not that they are set incorrectly or need, it is that something is interfering with the process of going hibernation. It works... Sometimes! But that shouldn't be the case, it should work always! It's not! Maybe I'll call their support but I feel as if they'll be even more clueless than me. In just hoping someone else had this problem.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 31, 2012 5:40:17 PM

I have occasionally had the screen saver not come on and I know I had set it but when I go to the screen saver it's off and I know I set it on. I think that there are certinevents that happen on the computer that will change settings without you knowing it. Like I have two video cards in SLI and when I update the video driver it knocks off the SLI mode and I have to reinitialize it and it happens every time.
I'm just saying that there are events that can change the settings so checking the power settings may help, maybe you don't have to create a new power plan but you can make sure that the settings are ok.
October 31, 2012 5:47:30 PM

Ok, I've found the problem. Origin has disabled hibernate because there are known issues with going into and coming out of hibernate. I just re-enabled it and I am getting the issues they are talking about. I guess I'll disable hibernate and stick with sleep or something. Thanks for the help though, inzone! Seriously appreciated :) 
m
l
November 9, 2012 11:04:00 PM

Best answer selected by rmc008.
m
l
!