Dell Service?

Sister-in- law has a 2 month old XPS that cost close to $3000 with all the
bells and whistles. The hard drive dies so she called Dell service. They
said they'd bring a new drive and motherboard on the first attempt. Showed
up with no drive. On the 2nd attempt, they physically installed drive and
left. No testing (could have been done before install I guess), no system
install, nothing else. Not much of a service in my opinion especially
considering the cost of the system. The good news is that she has been able
to dell with US support. Hope my 4600 stays trouble free!
Andy

David

They dont reinstall the os as it is hardware warranty (ie replace the
drive)
not a software warranty. Does not seem fair but is no different
than most other major companies.
Dave

I just thought it was odd. Then again, I've never bought a new computer from
anyone before so my expectations were off a tad. Thanks for the info!
Andy

On 2 Feb 2005 18:07:18 -0800, "David" <davids165@juno.com> wrote:

>They dont reinstall the os as it is hardware warranty (ie replace the
>drive)
>not a software warranty. Does not seem fair but is no different
>than most other major companies.

Depends on region? In Denmark OS i installed if the harddriver is
replaced.

Keep in mind that Dell DOES NOT actually control the companies that do
the work. They contract it out to other outfits. The problem then is if
those techs have a clue. Dell may have sent the service a notice to
replace the HD and MB but the tech decided that the HD wasn't likely the
problem. OOPS.

--
Steve Williams

"Busman" <texaseitz@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Sister-in- law has a 2 month old XPS that cost close to $3000 with all
the
> bells and whistles. The hard drive dies so she called Dell service.
They
> said they'd bring a new drive and motherboard on the first attempt.
Showed
> up with no drive. On the 2nd attempt, they physically installed drive
and
> left. No testing (could have been done before install I guess), no
system
> install, nothing else. Not much of a service in my opinion especially
> considering the cost of the system. The good news is that she has been
able
> to dell with US support. Hope my 4600 stays trouble free!
> Andy

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Not a good idea to post comments when you dont really know, Dell has a
standing instruction to all 3rd party repairers to fit all parts ordered,
if Dell had ordered both parts and the Engineer had only fitted one Dell
would have marked to call down as a failed SLA,
with regards to the O/S install on a failed Hard Drive in the UK and I cant
speak for anywhere else in the world but Dell Tech always ask the customer
if they require an O/S install as well

"Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
> Keep in mind that Dell DOES NOT actually control the companies that do
> the work. They contract it out to other outfits. The problem then is if
> those techs have a clue. Dell may have sent the service a notice to
> replace the HD and MB but the tech decided that the HD wasn't likely the
> problem. OOPS.
>
> --
> Steve Williams
>
> "Busman" <texaseitz@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Sister-in- law has a 2 month old XPS that cost close to $3000 with all
> the
>> bells and whistles. The hard drive dies so she called Dell service.
> They
>> said they'd bring a new drive and motherboard on the first attempt.
> Showed
>> up with no drive. On the 2nd attempt, they physically installed drive
> and
>> left. No testing (could have been done before install I guess), no
> system
>> install, nothing else. Not much of a service in my opinion especially
>> considering the cost of the system. The good news is that she has been
> able
>> to dell with US support. Hope my 4600 stays trouble free!
>> Andy

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Not really true Fixer. I only needed a little green lever to hold down
my pci cards. The catch wouldn't hold. Well the email tech said I
needed a motherboard replacement. When the tech got to my home he
agreed I didn't need the motherboard, called Dell and ordered a new
little green lever (whatever it was called) and came back the following
day to install it.

Joan

Fixer wrote:
> Not a good idea to post comments when you dont really know, Dell has a
> standing instruction to all 3rd party repairers to fit all parts ordered,
> if Dell had ordered both parts and the Engineer had only fitted one Dell
> would have marked to call down as a failed SLA,
> with regards to the O/S install on a failed Hard Drive in the UK and I cant
> speak for anywhere else in the world but Dell Tech always ask the customer
> if they require an O/S install as well
>
> "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
>
>>Keep in mind that Dell DOES NOT actually control the companies that do
>>the work. They contract it out to other outfits. The problem then is if
>>those techs have a clue. Dell may have sent the service a notice to
>>replace the HD and MB but the tech decided that the HD wasn't likely the
>>problem. OOPS.
>>
>>--
>>Steve Williams
>>
>>"Busman" <texaseitz@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Sister-in- law has a 2 month old XPS that cost close to $3000 with all
>>
>>the
>>
>>>bells and whistles. The hard drive dies so she called Dell service.
>>
>>They
>>
>>>said they'd bring a new drive and motherboard on the first attempt.
>>
>>Showed
>>
>>>up with no drive. On the 2nd attempt, they physically installed drive
>>
>>and
>>
>>>left. No testing (could have been done before install I guess), no
>>
>>system
>>
>>>install, nothing else. Not much of a service in my opinion especially
>>>considering the cost of the system. The good news is that she has been
>>
>>able
>>
>>>to dell with US support. Hope my 4600 stays trouble free!
>>>Andy

>>News==----
>>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>>Newsgroups
>>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
>>=----

Regardless, it is Dell that is ultimately responsible for the quality(or
lack of quality) of the service provided.

> Keep in mind that Dell DOES NOT actually control the companies that do
> the work. They contract it out to other outfits. The problem then is if
> those techs have a clue. Dell may have sent the service a notice to
> replace the HD and MB but the tech decided that the HD wasn't likely the
> problem. OOPS.
>
> --
> Steve Williams
>
> "Busman" <texaseitz@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > Sister-in- law has a 2 month old XPS that cost close to $3000 with all
> the
> > bells and whistles. The hard drive dies so she called Dell service.
> They
> > said they'd bring a new drive and motherboard on the first attempt.
> Showed
> > up with no drive. On the 2nd attempt, they physically installed drive
> and
> > left. No testing (could have been done before install I guess), no
> system
> > install, nothing else. Not much of a service in my opinion especially
> > considering the cost of the system. The good news is that she has been
> able
> > to dell with US support. Hope my 4600 stays trouble free!
> > Andy

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

That's why 95 out of 100 customers are happy with their onsite service from
Dell!

> That's why 95 out of 100 customers are happy with their onsite service
from
> Dell!

Where can I find the data to back up this statement?
The only survey that I am seen recently was by Consumer Reports and they
don't seem to back up your claim. In fact they rated Dell about the same as
most others. Apple was clearly the "leader of the pack" when it came to
Technical Support.

"S.Lewis" wrote:

> "Irene" <> wrote in message
>
> > Where can I find the data to back up this statement?
> > The only survey that I am seen recently was by Consumer Reports and they
> > don't seem to back up your claim. In fact they rated Dell about the same
> > as
> > most others. Apple was clearly the "leader of the pack" when it came to
> > Technical Support.
> >

> I still love you, Irene. Even if I'm not sure exactly why you bother hanging
> out here anymore. Didn't you toss your last Dell system some time ago?

Stew -

Your system date/clock seems to have run amuck! <g>

Notan

In other word, if you are not Pro Dell, you are not welcome here. Not an
objective group.

> "S.Lewis" wrote:
>>
>> "Irene" <> wrote in message
>>
>> > Where can I find the data to back up this statement?
>> > The only survey that I am seen recently was by Consumer Reports and
>> > they
>> > don't seem to back up your claim. In fact they rated Dell about the
>> > same
>> > as
>> > most others. Apple was clearly the "leader of the pack" when it came to
>> > Technical Support.
>> >

>> I still love you, Irene. Even if I'm not sure exactly why you bother
>> hanging
>> out here anymore. Didn't you toss your last Dell system some time ago?
>
> Stew -
>
> Your system date/clock seems to have run amuck! <g>
>
> Notan

So it is. Gak. Thanks!

Stew

Finally, someone understands!

"Kevin" <kevinnelno@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> In other word, if you are not Pro Dell, you are not welcome here. Not an
> objective group.
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Irene" <> wrote in message
>>

>>> Where can I find the data to back up this statement?
>>> The only survey that I am seen recently was by Consumer Reports and they
>>> don't seem to back up your claim. In fact they rated Dell about the same
>>> as
>>> most others. Apple was clearly the "leader of the pack" when it came to
>>> Technical Support.
>>>

>> I still love you, Irene. Even if I'm not sure exactly why you bother
>> hanging
>> out here anymore. Didn't you toss your last Dell system some time ago?
>>

>> Stew

I called 100 of my best friends and asked them how they rated
Dell...........

"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> That's why 95 out of 100 customers are happy with their onsite service
> from
>> Dell!
>
> Where can I find the data to back up this statement?
> The only survey that I am seen recently was by Consumer Reports and they
> don't seem to back up your claim. In fact they rated Dell about the same
> as
> most others. Apple was clearly the "leader of the pack" when it came to
> Technical Support.

I am we todd did

I am sofa king we todd did

> "S.Lewis" wrote:
>>
>> "Irene" <> wrote in message
>>
>> > Where can I find the data to back up this statement?
>> > The only survey that I am seen recently was by Consumer Reports and
>> > they
>> > don't seem to back up your claim. In fact they rated Dell about the
>> > same
>> > as
>> > most others. Apple was clearly the "leader of the pack" when it came to
>> > Technical Support.
>> >

>> I still love you, Irene. Even if I'm not sure exactly why you bother
>> hanging
>> out here anymore. Didn't you toss your last Dell system some time ago?
>
> Stew -
>
> Your system date/clock seems to have run amuck! <g>
>
> Notan

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:46:09 -0000, "Fixer"
<steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Not a good idea to post comments when you dont really know, Dell has a
>standing instruction to all 3rd party repairers to fit all parts ordered,
>if Dell had ordered both parts and the Engineer had only fitted one Dell
>would have marked to call down as a failed SLA,

Not right - the technician is a... technician, not a dumt part
swapper. If it's his oppinion he doesnt have to replace one of the
parts ordered, he doesnt do it, and he isn't blamed for not doing it!

Wrong again---we have three Dell computers.

And, not to start an argument, but I have as much right to be in this group
as you, or anyone else.

> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> That's why 95 out of 100 customers are happy with their onsite service
> > from
> >> Dell!
> >
> > Where can I find the data to back up this statement?
> > The only survey that I am seen recently was by Consumer Reports and they
> > don't seem to back up your claim. In fact they rated Dell about the same
> > as
> > most others. Apple was clearly the "leader of the pack" when it came to
> > Technical Support.
> >

> I still love you, Irene. Even if I'm not sure exactly why you bother
hanging
> out here anymore. Didn't you toss your last Dell system some time ago?
>

> Stew

You did notice that he didn't answer my question, didn't you.
>g<
Not that the answer wasn't obvious.

> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> That's why 95 out of 100 customers are happy with their onsite service
> > from
> >> Dell!
> >
> > Where can I find the data to back up this statement?
> > The only survey that I am seen recently was by Consumer Reports and they
> > don't seem to back up your claim. In fact they rated Dell about the same
> > as
> > most others. Apple was clearly the "leader of the pack" when it came to
> > Technical Support.
> >

> I still love you, Irene. Even if I'm not sure exactly why you bother
hanging
> out here anymore. Didn't you toss your last Dell system some time ago?
>

> Stew

You must be blind then Irene. I answered you last night at 7:31 PM. My
post shows up for me. Must be operator error on your part??

Here it is as it was posted:

> You did notice that he didn't answer my question, didn't you.
>>g<
> Not that the answer wasn't obvious.
>
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > from
>> >
>> > Where can I find the data to back up this statement?
>> > The only survey that I am seen recently was by Consumer Reports and
>> > they
>> > don't seem to back up your claim. In fact they rated Dell about the
>> > same
>> > as
>> > most others. Apple was clearly the "leader of the pack" when it came to
>> > Technical Support.
>> >

>> I still love you, Irene. Even if I'm not sure exactly why you bother
> hanging
>> out here anymore. Didn't you toss your last Dell system some time ago?
>>

>> Stew

You are very intelligent! You should do scientific research.

> Wrong again---we have three Dell computers.
>
> And, not to start an argument, but I have as much right to be in this
> group
> as you, or anyone else.

1) didn't know that.

2) you surely do.

:)

Stew

Now I understand why you believe that Dell Tech Support is still of the high
quality that it used to be. You base your opinions on asking of your "best
friends". >g<

My question was and still is; where do I find data to support the statement
that "95 out of 100 customers are happy with their
on site service from Dell" ? Not 95 out of 100 of your best friends. Had
you originally stated that "95 out of 100 of my friends were happy with
their on site service from Dell", I wouldn't have asked where I could find
the data to support your statement.
Just to refresh your memory about what you originally stated:

> That's why 95 out of 100 customers are happy with their onsite service
from
> Dell!

Anyway, I get the point. You can't support the statement that
95 out of 100 customers are happy with their on site service with data,
because you pulled it out of you know where and therefore there is no
supporting data that the rest of us can view.
Unlike, the Consumer Reports evaluation that can be read by anyone who takes
the time to pick up their magazine and read the article.

> You must be blind then Irene. I answered you last night at 7:31 PM. My
> post shows up for me. Must be operator error on your part??
>
> Here it is as it was posted:
>
> I called 100 of my best friends and asked them how they rated
> Dell...........
>
> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> That's why 95 out of 100 customers are happy with their onsite service
> > from
> >> Dell!
> >
> > Where can I find the data to back up this statement?
> > The only survey that I am seen recently was by Consumer Reports and they
> > don't seem to back up your claim. In fact they rated Dell about the same
> > as
> > most others. Apple was clearly the "leader of the pack" when it came to
> > Technical Support.
> >

> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > You did notice that he didn't answer my question, didn't you.
> >>g<
> > Not that the answer wasn't obvious.
> >
> > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> I still love you, Irene. Even if I'm not sure exactly why you bother
> > hanging
> >> out here anymore. Didn't you toss your last Dell system some time ago?
> >>

> >> Stew

What a moron!