problems with svchost dcom process

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I have a Dell desktop 3 Ghz 1 Meg ram running XP Pro, and the thing has
been slow since I got it. Mostly this shows up as a lag when programs
load. For example, it takes a few seconds to load Word, whereas on my
work laptop (also XP) it snaps to life in less than a second.

I ran all sorts of spyware killers, found nothing. I killed every
non-vital process, still nothing. Finally I killed the svchost.exe
process launced by the DCOM service, and the slow problem went away. Of
course, the computer no longer worked right because it needs that service.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance.

David
4 answers Last reply
More about problems svchost dcom process
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Are you sure you mean 1M RAM? If your processor is running at 3Gz, you've got
    to have more than 1M of RAM. Go to your Control Panel and open System. The
    opening page will tell you the system and how much RAM you've got.
    --
    tmehl

    "David" wrote:

    > I have a Dell desktop 3 Ghz 1 Meg ram running XP Pro, and the thing has
    > been slow since I got it. Mostly this shows up as a lag when programs
    > load. For example, it takes a few seconds to load Word, whereas on my
    > work laptop (also XP) it snaps to life in less than a second.
    >
    > I ran all sorts of spyware killers, found nothing. I killed every
    > non-vital process, still nothing. Finally I killed the svchost.exe
    > process launced by the DCOM service, and the slow problem went away. Of
    > course, the computer no longer worked right because it needs that service.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions? This is driving me crazy.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > David

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    tmehl wrote:
    > Are you sure you mean 1M RAM? If your processor is running at 3Gz, you've got
    > to have more than 1M of RAM. Go to your Control Panel and open System. The
    > opening page will tell you the system and how much RAM you've got.
    Duh, I meant 1 gig.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    tmehl wrote:

    > Are you sure you mean 1M RAM? If your processor is running at 3Gz,
    > you've got to have more than 1M of RAM.

    It has nothing to with how fast his processor is runninng. If he's running
    Windows XP (or almost any other version of Windows), he's got more than 1MB.

    Very obviously, he means 1GB.

    > Go to your Control Panel and
    > open System. The opening page will tell you the system and how much
    > RAM you've got.
    >
    >> I have a Dell desktop 3 Ghz 1 Meg ram running XP Pro, and the thing
    >> has been slow since I got it. Mostly this shows up as a lag when
    >> programs load. For example, it takes a few seconds to load Word,
    >> whereas on my work laptop (also XP) it snaps to life in less than a
    >> second.
    >>
    >> I ran all sorts of spyware killers, found nothing. I killed every
    >> non-vital process, still nothing. Finally I killed the svchost.exe
    >> process launced by the DCOM service, and the slow problem went away.
    >> Of course, the computer no longer worked right because it needs that
    >> service.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions? This is driving me crazy.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> David
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    David wrote:

    > I have a Dell desktop 3 Ghz 1 Meg ram running XP Pro, and the thing has
    > been slow since I got it. Mostly this shows up as a lag when programs
    > load. For example, it takes a few seconds to load Word, whereas on my
    > work laptop (also XP) it snaps to life in less than a second.

    One thing to bear in mind, is that the operating system image on your
    home PC was probably put there by Dell, whereas the one at work was
    probably done by an expert in corporate systems administration.

    A custom build will always be faster than a standard Dell build.

    The first thing we do when we get hold of a Dell, is run FDISK to get
    rid of all the bloatware and junk. Then we put a streamlined version of
    Win2k on there and it goes like a rocket.

    > non-vital process, still nothing. Finally I killed the svchost.exe
    > process launced by the DCOM service, and the slow problem went away.

    Can you clarify the exact steps you took to "kill" the svchost.exe
    process, I'm not sure what you mean here. Once we have identified the
    services being hosted by the process you killed, we may have a clue
    what's going on.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Microsoft Windows XP