Computer is freezing up...help

kellurian

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003
I just built this killer rig with a xp 3000 400fsb and 512 mb 128bit memory with an radeon 9800 in a xaser III case. The problem I am having is that after about ten to twenty minutes, it freezes up, whether idle or in a game, it doesn't matter. It completly freezes and wont respond to the power button, only reset, and then I just get a black screen. I have to unplug the thing, and wait a few minutes before I plug it in to get it to boot up and such. It sounds like a heat problem, but with the xaser I didnt think that would be a Problem. My temps right now at idle are 57 on the cpu and 41 for the system(celsius). I have a thermaright sk7 and a vantec tornado on the cpu. It seems like thats a hot temp, yet not hot enough to freeze it up is it?

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is it still reading 57 when it freezes? ... or does it gradually climb? I agree, 57 shouldn't dump the system, although it does sound pretty high for idle! Depending on the accuracy of your temp monitoring, it could be pretty near the limits for stability. You might re-check your HSF mounting for good contact.

System crashes are often caused by software and drivers too. Do you have a clean installation of the OS? If you've transplanted Hard Drives, you may be running into some software conflicts. Try starting the system in "safe" mode and see if it crashes.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
The temperature does seem pretty high for being idle, but I don't think that should crash it. what about power? Your system will be drawing alot of juice, and you're going to need a very good power supply. What do you have for a power supply?

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
it could still be a heat problem, i had a similar problem with my XP 1900+ when i bought it.

Make sure your HSF is properly seated on the CPU die, if necessary take it off and re-seat it again, the interface between it and the CPU might not be that great and use good thermal paste. AS3 is a good choice.

i just say this because my temps were never that high (55 degrees load) yet the problem still lay with efficient cooling

after messing around i now get 45 degrees load.

TRENDING THREADS