Sign in with
Your question

Entry level HT receiver

Last response: in Home Audio
January 28, 2011 3:58:45 AM

Hey all, been some time since I've been in the forums. Glad I could find my way back.

After having surround speakers in a box for 3 years, I've finally run the wire and install the ceiling speakers for the rears only to find I don't have a functional receiver. I'm using a crappy KLH R5100 as a temp gap filler but it only has coax digital audio in (optical is busted.) So my cable box has SS, but no love for my optical only DVD player. While I could get a optical/coax converter for $30, I don't trust this receiver and plan to scrap it once its replaced. This was used when my Sony STR-DE995 lost one of the channels and eventually all of them. The display indicates the signal in and decoding is properly functioning.

This will be a very budget minded solution but I want it to be feature full enough to last a few years. I think I've narrowed down to a few options and looking for feedback or other suggestions.

1. I could put my Sony STR-DE995 in the shop and spend $25 for them to look at it and up to another $100 to fix it if its fixable. This has no HDMI input/outputs which isn't a terrible thing right now. Maybe a factor down the road.

Looking at newegg at these three options:
2. $230 - Yamaha RX-V467 5.1 refurb unit
3. $250 - Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1 dual zone (some reservations because of quality issues relating to HDMI output verified at several sites)
4. $300 Yamaha RX-V567 7.1 refurb unit

This will be driving Athena Audition series F2 left/right, C1 center, P400 sub, and some 5.25" Phoenix Gold in ceiling rears. I also have Athena bookshelf and rear center stored right now, so down the road in a different house, I could consider more than a 5.1 setup. Not a critical factor though.

Thanks for the time reading and any help you can offer.

More about : entry level receiver

January 28, 2011 3:46:59 PM

no i would not put anything into a sony amp
a yamaha is OK
m
l
January 28, 2011 3:55:36 PM

Thanks SGM, I'll add the Sony to the recycle heap with the KLH asap.

Here's an interesting option, the Onkyo refurb. Think it would have the rampant display issues addressed already?
http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=TX-SR508&...

I've also heard Onkyo's CS is mainly attitude, anyone have experience with them?
m
l
!