Pavillion XL766

I have an older Pavillion XL766. I want to upgrade the memory. The
documentation online says there are three memory banks - each capbable
of taking 256mb of ram for a total of 768mb. I'm sure this
documentation was published before 512 and larger modules were even
made. My question is will the board accomodate a single or dual 512
memory modules or do I have to stick with the 256 DIMMS?

Likely 256 is a physical restriction. Also likely that it must be single
density (two sided).

Tom
"rj664" <fdlfh@dfdjlet> wrote in message
>I have an older Pavillion XL766. I want to upgrade the memory. The
> documentation online says there are three memory banks - each capbable
> of taking 256mb of ram for a total of 768mb. I'm sure this
> documentation was published before 512 and larger modules were even
> made. My question is will the board accomodate a single or dual 512
> memory modules or do I have to stick with the 256 DIMMS?

According to the Via web site, the Via 694X (aka Apollo Pro 133) chipset is
capable of addressing up to 1.5GB of memory. Still, given that the motherboard
is custom-built for HP, I don't think I would chance it unless I could get
myself a single 512MB PC133 DIMM really cheap or for free.

The HP web site states that the maximum memory is 768MB, consisting, of course,
of 3x256MB DIMMs. That's what I would go for... Ben Myers