Sign in with
Your question

Start Menu for Windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
June 3, 2012 3:36:29 AM

Hey if anyone wants 8 to look like Windows 7, I can confirm the vistart app still works. I'm using it with the Windows 8 Release Preview. Makes desktop environment look and act like Windows 7, but Metro and everything underneath seems to function perfectly. This is what Windows 8 SHOULD offer at release in my opinion.

More about : start menu windows

June 3, 2012 3:54:22 AM

Note, I find on shutdown I seem to be getting an error, but the start menu does work. Hopefully it improves after the official release.
m
l
June 3, 2012 4:01:56 AM

Vistart still works? Good to know. A lot of people were telling me that it didn't work anymore. Don't worry about the error, I got an error every time I shutdown my machine when I ran the dev preview and the consumer preview with ViStart and ViOrb and it never caused any problems other than being slightly annoying.
m
l
Related resources
June 3, 2012 4:18:48 PM

Honestly, it's not that I have to have Start Menu, but I honestly am trying it because I'm seeing reports that Microsoft is trying to kill off the start menu, so I want to see if I can do that anyhow. To me, I'm getting more used to Metro, but users should not be forced into it.
m
l
June 5, 2012 4:10:41 AM

NP, I understand the sentiment. However, I use the start menu quite a lot and would hate ot see it go, so personally, I'd like to keep a start menu, but not skip out on the many improvements made in Windows 8. Regardless of how many people mock it, Win 8 is an improvement over 7 in every way. I'm often amazed at how the only reason that some people dislike 8 is metro, yet metro is so easily helped by free, third party programs that can be found by quick Google or even better, quick Softpedia searches.

No matter, regardless of how much people whine, Metro isn't that bad and even if it was, it's not hard to ditch if someone really hates it (although I don't really get why someone would).
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
June 5, 2012 2:04:09 PM

The new start screen really grew on me after only a few hours of using it. My only gripe right now with Windows 8 is while on a desktop or laptop, the user does not have the option to go straight to the desktop environment. We get the start screen regardless. I'm hoping this changes before the release (or the user is at least given the option to change the behavior).
m
l
June 5, 2012 2:05:42 PM

The people I feel sorry for are elderly people, as I think Windows 8 will be a shock to many who've been on XP for years. On the other hand if you are in computer repair, I guess you can make some $$ training people.

*Edit* I've actually been using it on my laptop and it's not bad. Some things are suggesting that they are going to use Win 8 to push manufacturers to offering gestures by default on laptop touch pads, which would make it easier to navigate on a laptop. Windows 8 isn't bad once you realize it's Windows 7 essentially underneath, but they should give users a choice, not force us into their system.
m
l
June 5, 2012 2:14:09 PM

windows 8 isnt that bad, and neither is metro

but then again, when u come out with a new flagship product...
do u want people to say stuff like, its not bad or its okay?

or do u want them to be blown away and must have....

windows 8 isnt a landmark u stop and see, its a site u look at while driving by
m
l
June 5, 2012 2:26:22 PM

I think I'm going to stick with Windows 7. Lot easier to use with a mouse and keyboard.

I have a WP and I love it. It's excellent with touch screens, but with a mouse, it's just not good.

Main issue is I can't find the search button.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2012 2:37:03 PM

seems odd to me that the gorgeous wallpaper is replaced by metro.
m
l
June 5, 2012 6:09:56 PM

I guess my opinion, is Metro is fine and cool I guess, but Microsoft needs to remember that consumers should have choice on what they want, not Microsoft. They need to give people the options they want, not say this is our way and this is the way it will be.
m
l
July 2, 2012 3:21:05 PM

Microsoft has been saying it is their way for years, and it won't change. perfect example was DirectX and you need upgrade your OS to get, until someone came out with modified one for XP which i never ended up trying since by that time Win7 was out.

Honestly, Win8 is a great OS, I as well dislike the Metro UI, but if you already use hotkeys for stuff like Run, and My Computer, etc. then you should rarely need to use the metro UI. I only ever use it to open up the on-screen keyboard if im too lazy to reach for my keyboard. I have also kept all my most used games and programs shortcuts on the desktop in their own folders for quick access.

so for me Win8 is perfect, works, is quicker, only had minor driver issue with PCI network card, but got resolved quickly. so in all i enjoy Win8.

but I do miss having my start button and menu just for stuff quick links like network and documents instead of opening up my computer to click the links on the side window panel, but its the same amount of clicking and takes the same amount of time, so its just a matter of getting used to doing.

and that the same with older versions of windows, its just a matter of getting used to something new. no one likes to relearn something they have been doing for years, heck when windows came from DOS, I have worked with plenty of older gentlemen that to this day still hate windows over DOS. It's all about preference and what you grew up with and what you feel comfortable with. So, i can see why so many people hate the new look.

look at me im rambling, but i will give vistart a try, since my GF hates to use my computer being there is no start button now, haha.
m
l
July 3, 2012 3:12:39 AM

sscultima said:
Microsoft has been saying it is their way for years, and it won't change. perfect example was DirectX and you need upgrade your OS to get, until someone came out with modified one for XP which i never ended up trying since by that time Win7 was out.

Honestly, Win8 is a great OS, I as well dislike the Metro UI, but if you already use hotkeys for stuff like Run, and My Computer, etc. then you should rarely need to use the metro UI. I only ever use it to open up the on-screen keyboard if im too lazy to reach for my keyboard. I have also kept all my most used games and programs shortcuts on the desktop in their own folders for quick access.

so for me Win8 is perfect, works, is quicker, only had minor driver issue with PCI network card, but got resolved quickly. so in all i enjoy Win8.

but I do miss having my start button and menu just for stuff quick links like network and documents instead of opening up my computer to click the links on the side window panel, but its the same amount of clicking and takes the same amount of time, so its just a matter of getting used to doing.

and that the same with older versions of windows, its just a matter of getting used to something new. no one likes to relearn something they have been doing for years, heck when windows came from DOS, I have worked with plenty of older gentlemen that to this day still hate windows over DOS. It's all about preference and what you grew up with and what you feel comfortable with. So, i can see why so many people hate the new look.

look at me im rambling, but i will give vistart a try, since my GF hates to use my computer being there is no start button now, haha.

Download classic shell or ViSart/ViOrb from softpedia.com and you can get your start menu back. There are many other such programs too and yes, they all work even in the latest versions of Windows 8 and they will work in the official versions too.
m
l
!