Documents and Settings Username change

Is there a way to change the username in C:\Documents and
settings\username? I want to use my name not the original name that was
there.
7 answers Last reply
More about documents settings username change

    Create a new user profile, then delete the other user account after
    transferring the old account's information to your new account.

    How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp

    How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile

    Also see:

    Change the Computer's Registered Owner in Windows XP
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm

    Microsoft Registration: Start > Run and type: REGWIZ /R ,
    and hit enter.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "DrJoel" <joelw135@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to change the username in C:\Documents and
    > settings\username? I want to use my name not the original name that was
    > there.

    control panel > user accounts

    code_wrong wrote:
    > "DrJoel" <joelw135@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Is there a way to change the username in C:\Documents and
    >>settings\username? I want to use my name not the original name that was
    >>there.
    >

    > control panel > user accounts

    That doesn't change the name of the folder.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    DrJoel wrote:
    > Is there a way to change the username in C:\Documents and
    > settings\username? I want to use my name not the original name that was
    > there.

    The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
    _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
    So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
    Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
    desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    How to rename or move a User Profile folder?:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/userpath.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > DrJoel wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to change the username in C:\Documents and
    >> settings\username? I want to use my name not the original name that
    >> was there.
    >

    > The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
    > _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
    > So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
    > Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
    > desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).
    >
    > HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
    >
    > How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151

    Thanks that worked.

    DrJoel wrote:

    > Thanks that worked.