Documents and Settings Username change

Is there a way to change the username in C:\Documents and
settings\username? I want to use my name not the original name that was
there.

Create a new user profile, then delete the other user account after
transferring the old account's information to your new account.

How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile

Also see:

Change the Computer's Registered Owner in Windows XP
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm

Microsoft Registration: Start > Run and type: REGWIZ /R ,
and hit enter.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"DrJoel" <joelw135@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to change the username in C:\Documents and
> settings\username? I want to use my name not the original name that was
> there.

control panel > user accounts

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

code_wrong wrote:
> "DrJoel" <joelw135@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Is there a way to change the username in C:\Documents and
>>settings\username? I want to use my name not the original name that was
>>there.
>

> control panel > user accounts

That doesn't change the name of the folder.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

DrJoel wrote:
> Is there a way to change the username in C:\Documents and
> settings\username? I want to use my name not the original name that was
> there.

The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
_cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

How to rename or move a User Profile folder?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/userpath.htm

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> DrJoel wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to change the username in C:\Documents and
>> settings\username? I want to use my name not the original name that
>> was there.
>

> The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
> _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
> So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
> Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
> desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).
>
> HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
>
> How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151

Thanks that worked.

DrJoel wrote:

> Thanks that worked.